Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Intergration problem, when upgrading wordpress 2.8

• venividi
    Participant

@venividi

Having upgraded wordpress to v.2.8, I found intergration problem.

my bbpress v. 0.9.0.5

What’s the cause of such a problem.

I’ll be greatly appreciated if any one solve the problem.

Thanks.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • bbPress v. 0.9.x doesn’t naturally integrate with WordPress 2.8. Are you using ck’s or superann’s cookie plugins to enable integration?

venividi
    Participant

@venividi

Thanks for the fast reply.

I’m using ck’s and johnmc’s ‘Freshly Baked Cookies for bbPress’.

When did the cookie integration break – when you upgraded bbPress to .9.0.5, or when you upgraded WordPress to 2.8?

Also – what was the last working set of versions that was fully integrated (bb 9.0.4 and wp 2.7?).

venividi
    Participant

@venividi

My bbpress .9.0.5 and wordpress 2.7.1 worked perfectly until upgrade of wordpress 2.8

1. upgrade of bbpress .9.0.5 – 1 hour after the posting. ( a week ago? )

2. upgrade of wordpress 2.8 – 2 hours ago.

3. the break of cookie – right after the upgrade of wordpress

Markus Pezold
    Participant

@markus-pezold

We have the same problem today with the FBC-Plugin.

I seems to be a “hot” topic – and that’s probably the reason why we search for the last 2 hours for a solution. :) *selfironic*

Here the cookie-names and paths – they are identical. So the error eventually is not in seeting the cookies, but in reading of the cookies. !?

After Login in WordPress

wordpress_logged_in_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /wp/

wordpress_logged_in_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /

wordpress_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /wp/wp-content/plugins

wordpress_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /wp/wp-admin

After Login in BBpress

wordpress_logged_in_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /wp/

wordpress_logged_in_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /

wordpress_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /

wordpress_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /wp-admin

wordpress_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /wp/wp-admin

wordpress_672b8ff18484c1d9d7de0f05d907543d – Path: /wp/wp-content/plugins

Path of Installation:

http://www.mysteria30000.de/wp -> WordPress

http://www.mysteria3000.de/forum –> bbPress

Greetings

Markus

venividi
    Participant

@venividi

Nice job, Markus.

So …

Is there a solution?

I’m seeing something Similar on VizWorld.com. AFter upgrading WordPress to 2.8, I’m not unable to login to the Forums (www.vizworld.com/forum). I’m also using the “freshly baked cookies” 0.3.

Upgrading to BBPress .9.0.5 hasn’t helped…

Ok.. I’m not 100% on this, but it seems the cookie hashing algorithm changed in WP2.8 .

In WP2.7, in wp-includes/pluggable.php (line 512)

if ( $expired < time() ) {

do_action('auth_cookie_expired', $cookie_elements);

return false;

}

$key = wp_hash($username . ‘|’ . $expiration, $scheme);

$hash = hash_hmac(‘md5’, $username . ‘|’ . $expiration, $key);

and in 2.8:

// Quick check to see if an honest cookie has expired

if ( $expired < time() ) {

do_action('auth_cookie_expired', $cookie_elements);

return false;

}

$user = get_userdatabylogin($username);

if ( ! $user ) {

do_action(‘auth_cookie_bad_username’, $cookie_elements);

return false;

}

$pass_frag = substr($user->user_pass, 8, 4);

$key = wp_hash($username . $pass_frag . ‘|’ . $expiration, $scheme);

$hash = hash_hmac(‘md5’, $username . ‘|’ . $expiration, $key);

So, in 2.8 the hash is salted with 4 character’s of the USer’s password. The “freshly_baked_cookies” plugin hasn’t been upgraded to match this change, so it always fails to match the hashed cookies.

Unfortunateyl,the get_userdatabylogin function doesn’t seem to exist in bbpress…..

It’s the same problem that I encountered with 1.0-alpha-5… So it seams that all version before RC2 won’t work with the 2.8…

Ah yah Vizworld, I think you nailed it.

I took a look at ck’s original plugin and it mentions support for WordPress 2.8 (as of 3/13/09):

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/freshly-baked-cookies/

But this post (from 4/3/2009) on ck’s blog points out that WordPress 2.8 changed their login model:

http://ckon.wordpress.com/2009/04/03/wordpress-28-might-break-login-compatibility-again/

Sounds like WordPress may have changed it after the Freshly Baked Cookies plugin was released, breaking the FBC plugin?

Ok, I fixed it.. Kinda.. It’s a nasty fix, but it _does_ work (I’m using it on http://www.Vizworld.com now).

A quick cliffnotes version:

Took 2 main changes.. a) I had to update the validate_auth function in the _freshly_Baked_cookies plugin to make it work with the new password-including authentication. b) I had to modify the bb-include/pluggable.php to use the new algorithms for salting & auth (wp_salt and wp_auth). The ones that ship with bbpress don’t pass a Schema around, and apparently it’s important now.

If you want the two files, you can download them from http://www.yeraze.com/bbpress-wp2.8-fbc_fix.tgz . i really hope _ck_ can take a look at this and see if it can all be encapsulated within the fbc plugin.. As it is now, soon as I upgrade bbpress I’ll lose it again.

Markus Pezold
    Participant

@markus-pezold

Hi Vizworld,

thanks for your fix – I will test it soon – after a little “distance” from my computer. :)

Today – it’s to sunny … so i must go to the mountains. :)

Markus Pezold
    Participant

@markus-pezold

Hi again,

the code doesn’t work 100% in my installation.

After the Login in WordPress – my testuser is shown as “logged”, but I can’t go to the Administration. :( The System doesn’t redirect me. At the same time my testuser ist shown as “logged in” in bbPress and there I can go to the admin.

When I test the login from bbPress first nothing seems to happen. I’m not logged in in both bbPress and WordPress.

hmpf … So … I’m going to test tomorrow again.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I predicted this problem at the start of April (and they argued that I was wrong).

http://ckon.wordpress.com/2009/04/03/wordpress-28-might-break-login-compatibility-again/

WP developers simply do not give a darn anymore about backwards compatibility, they just want to do whatever they want to do. Personally I’m getting really tired of their attitude.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

The cookie change took me by surprise too and is a bit of a pain in the neck generally.

Will bbPress 1.0 integrate easily with WP2.8 when it releases? Currently I have WP 2.8 and bbPress .9.0.5 installed. I’m wondering if I should keep pulling my hair out trying to get these two to work together or if I should just wait for 1.0 to release.

Markus Pezold
    Participant

@markus-pezold

After the Update to bbPress Version 1.0-rc-3 my problems are gone. I think everyone should test there used plugins, backup and then test the update. Can’t wait for bbPress 1. :)

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/cookie-integration-problem-wp28-bb-10-rc-2

I’m very glad to have found this discussion – after upgrading from WPMU 2.7.something to 2.8.4, the cookie swap stopped working, and I couldn’t find a good explanation anywhere until I found this thread. Upgrading from bbPress 1.0a6 to 1.0.2 fixed everything.

Thanks very much to the developers for playing catchup to WP’s cookie shenanigans.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar