Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Integrating bbpress into my current template

• Charly_ZA
    Participant

@charly_za

Is there any way to create a navigation bar link saying forums on my website. I have installed bbpress but I don’t know what to do next. I looked at a few tutorials. My website is tbolmc.com/wordpress

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Charly_ZA
    Participant

@charly_za

Sorry, does anyone know how to do this? Is it possible? My template is “admired”

LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

You use the default wp menu creator and create a new menu item for the slug that matches your selection when you setup bbPress (default is “forums”). See this sticky for a tutorial video step by step

The Definitive Guide To BuddyPress & bbPress Configuration

Cheers!
    Spence

Charly_ZA
    Participant

@charly_za

Thanks, when I go to mywebsite.com/wordpress/forums the page is white. I did copy the bbpress files to the forum folder. When I get it installed will I be able to change the colours to match my current template?

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

Just go to your forum settings page inside your WP Dashboard.

And look at the slug for forums and topics field.

By default it looks like this:
    forums
    topics

If you put both names behind your url (as a it would be a page) you will find the url to the forums and last topics.

You don’t need to do anything with files at this point.
    Just vist the forums page and copy the browser url > go back into your WP Dashboard > Menu’s and creat a new Menu + custom menu link. > Save

Done
    People can now visit your forums page from the menu-bar of your website..

Charly_ZA
    Participant

@charly_za

Thanks for the help but isn’t that just creating a link to the forums in the navigation bar? Is there a way to treat it like a page? Simple press does it like that. I don’t like simple press and I want to change to bbpress. I have it installed on my website at tbolmc.com/wordpress.

LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

Actually no.
    Event though it’s not maybe intuitive… the point is that you are creating and setting the default “slug” for bbPress to use, and then this slug needs a menu item in order for someone to point to it (obviously they could type in the url directly, but no one would know that).

In sum: You don’t need to create a page. You should “not” copy the bbPress files to the forum folder… what you should do is:

1) Visit forums page in bbPress link of dashboard and set the sitewide-forums slug to whatever you want;

2) Use this slug in the appearance/menu creator to add this slug to any menu you wish (primary navigation, whatever…) with the format of: “/slug”. So, if your domain was “http:/something.com” and your sitewide forum slug was “sitewide-forums”, you would create a new menu item using “/sitewide-forums” or if you prefer absolute urls “http://something.com/sitewide-forums”

Cheers,
    spence

Charly_ZA
    Participant

@charly_za

The item won’t appear in the menu. I can go to the forums if I type it in manually. These are the steps I took: 1. I created a new menu item called forums 2. I added a custom link to the forum 3. I saved the menu

Charly_ZA
    Participant

@charly_za

Thank you very much for helping me.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar