Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

installer asking for salts; can’t find any

• Hi –

I’m trying to install the current alpha version of bbpress. In step 2, I’ve selection the option to add cookie integration settings (since I’d like shared login with my WordPress site (version 2.6.3 of WP).

The installer is asking for “salts”; the explanation is:

<i>This must match the value of the WordPress setting named “auth_salt” in your WordPress installation. Look for the option labeled “auth_salt” in this WordPress admin page. If you leave this blank the installer will try to fetch the value based on your WordPress database integration settings.</i>

I have no idea what this auth_salt is. A text search of my WP directory reveals a reference to it, but no definition. And, I’m not sure what the directions mean by “WordPress admin page,” but I can’t find anything in there about this either.

Any idea what’s going on? Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Go to yourdomain.com/wp-admin/options.php and look for auth_salt and logged_in_salt.

Add these to your BB Config:

define('AUTH_SALT', 'VALUE');
    define('LOGGED_IN_SALT', 'VALUE');

Nope…it’s not there. The only reference in the entire WP structure to auth_salt is in a file called pluggable.php. But there is no definition of it that I can see anywhere.

OK…it *appears* that this is solved. I manually added the two salt definitions to both the WP and the BB config files. I can log in now, so I guess we can consider this resolved.

I would recommend that someone document this, at least as part of the installation process.

Thanks for the help.

mzimmers, point your BROWSER (not an FTP) to yourdomain.com/wp-admin/options.php

Like mine is http://jorjafox.net/blog/wp-admin/options.php

And it is documented where these are on the WordPress Side, which is how I knew :)

Fascinating – is that page navigable, or do you have to explicitly go there?

Yet another thing about WP I didn’t know…

OK…a final question about this: does this mean that I screwed up by manually adding the two salt definitions to my WP options file? I notice that the values I put in the file, and the values I see in the browser aren’t the same.

Don’t bother answering…I just started over, and things seem to be working now. Thanks for the help.

No, you have to explicitly go there to get that info. Hidden feature.

About the salts, I’d replace the ones you put in the files with the ones from the webpage, but I don’t think it hurts anything, as the ones in the file will override the ones in the webpage.

Hey,

in the 3.2.1 version I can’t see the “auth_salt” & “logged_in_salt” in example/wp-admin/options.php

is there a way to retrieve those values anyway ?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar