Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installed and activated bbPress and can't go further

• cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

Hello folks, I posted a topic on the trouble shooting page and think I should have posted it here.

Well, I installed the bbPress plug in and have it shown in the left side bar of my admin screen.

I then created a new page on my site: Forums and added the page to the menu.

So far I have nothing. Please help.

cycleshanty.com

WP version 4.1

Current (new) bbPress version

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

I have discovered the “Getting Started” documentation and will attempt to do it on my own. HOWEVER, at this point I do have a few initial questions.

1) Do I need to create a a new page as I did and show it on my menu or will this occur naturally? Please explain.

2) I do not want topics created from the front end nor do I want users posting photographs or videos of any type. How do I accomplish this?

3) I will need to approve and post all replies to a topic. Are there such features and will they user be notified the reply is pending?

4) When a user clicks the Forums menu button how do I get them to register and select a username and password to enter the Forums section?

I will proceed with the instructions given in the documentation and if there are further problems I will get with you. In the mean time please answer these questions. Bare in mind I am not an expert at this, although, I do catch on with a little help.

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

Just so you know I have followed all instructions in getting started and still I get the error Page does not exsist when I dial up my site.

Also, the Forums is the parent page and “private” there are three child (sub) forums under it. Topics have been added and seem to be well.

Now what?

cycleshanty.com

WP version: 4.1

Bob1nz
    Participant

@bob1nz

I’m not an expert on these things but I just setup bbPress and I never setup a page for it.
    To add it to my menu I got the page url for it and added a custom menu item pointing to that url.

I had a quick look at your website and the forums link in the menu appears to point to yourwebsite/?forum=forums which points to a page not found.

Try using this link instead yourwebsite/?post_type=forum as it seems to show the forums page at least, although I cannot see any categories or forums on it.

I do not want topics created from the front end

Do you mean you don’t want anyone else to start topics?

I will need to approve and post all replies to a topic

there is a plugin for bbPress although I haven’t used it. https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpressmoderation/

To allow users to register on your website you need to enable that feature. Its in the dashboard under Settings->General-> Membership.

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

Please take another look. I did use the info and set up a custom link. I do get the Private forum, however, the same, no such page error occurs for the other three sub forums.

Do you mean you don’t want anyone else to start topics?******** Yes, that is correct. I do want them to reply to topics. Topics need to be started by admin only.

there is a plugin for bbPress although I haven’t used it. https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpressmoderation/ ************ I found it although it seems they say only is compatible with WP version 3.6.1 I have WP version 4.1. Can I try it or will it screw things up?

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

I also found the bbPress short codes: https://codex.bbpress.org/shortcodes/ . Would any of these help and where do I put them?

Bob1nz
    Participant

@bob1nz

When using the “Forums” link from your home page it points to /?forum=forums
    When pointing to the forums link from the 404 page it points to /forums/forum/forums which is another 404.

Do you have permalinks enabled on your website?

The plugin reviews shows a user having success using WP4.0 but as its not something I have used I cant say yay or nay on that sorry.

It sounds more like you are looking for a blog rather than a forums. eg you post something and others reply.

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

First, I believe I do have permalinks enabled, however, I’m such a novice I don’t know where to look.

4.1 isn’t much different than 4.0.1 and 4.0 wasn’t much different than 4.0.1. I’ve had all of them and everything else worked. Oh well, I research it further.

I definitely want forums. I just need to clear (approve) topics before they appear and approve replies as well. Other so called motorcycle websites have real problems with their forums and and have found themselves deleting a lot of what users put in. It’s all about approval.

I found bbPress shortcodes: https://codex.bbpress.org/shortcodes/ Would any of these help? and where would I put them?

Between the two of us we’ll get this straightened out.

Bob1nz
    Participant

@bob1nz

Ok no worries.

Im going to give you some links to look at as they have some potentially useful info.

First one is for the permalinks https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks
    I normally have these setup with post name checked in the settings but you are free to choose your own.
    It also makes it easier to find posts and topics etc with “pretty” names in your url bar. My websites forums for example are at myurl/forums <– easy peasy. I never setup a page for bbpress and this worked out fine.

Bob1nz
    Participant

@bob1nz

Next one is on the shortcodes you mentioned. https://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode
    The bbpress codes work in a similar fashion to wordpress’s shortcodes and there are a few examples on that page as to how they work.
    While they are useful I’m not entirely convinced you need them at this stage.

They can be used to put features of the forums on other pages that are not your main forums such as login, one category of your forums, tag clouds etc. You can use the [bbp-forum-index] on a page if you have created one but I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t need to unless that what you want.

I believe that plugin would still be fine with your current version of WP and bbP.

Had to split the reply as I don’t seem to be able to post more than one link per reply

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

I tried using the short codes and they work on the backend.

My problem is now getting rid of the 404 error on my front end. From the back end all seemswell.

Lets focus on that error message. How do we eliminate it so when a person clicks forums the get forums?

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

I guess the best way to illustrate this is:

I installed, activated, etc. Forums. In the back end all seems to be well. In the front end I have nothing other than a 404 Error message. The Forums page on the menu came from bbPress and is not a page I created, published and added to the menu. Since bbPress added it to the menu the problem seems to be like this: You have a piece of paper with text in your left hand and a title in your right hand. How do you get the paper with text to appear under the title in your right hand?

Is this a code issue, a permalink issue or what? Given my extreme lack of expertise I really need someone to give me step by step instruction.

Please check the front end yourself:

cycleshanty.com and click on Forums

WP version 4.1

Thanks in advance.

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

I’ve attempted to do everything suggested and that I know is possible. Nothing works.

Bob1nz
    Participant

@bob1nz

In your menus in the dashboard does your forums link show like this?
    Specifically the highlighted parts
    (Right click and “Open image in a new tab”)
    Forum menu link

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

It does now and all that comes up on the front end is the home page. Take a look.

cyclesha
    Participant

@cyclesha

bob, in addition to assuring what you gave me I check WP files and I do have a .htaccess file in my site.

Bob1nz
    Participant

@bob1nz

I see the permalinks has been activated on your site now so what I put would not work now.
    There are several ways to find the link to your forums for your menu.
    One is when you are creating or editing the forums it will show the link under the title to the forum you are creating.

The other way is to look under Settings -> Forums then find the text that is in the field next to “Forum Root”
    The text in that field should be what is used after your domain name. The default is “forums” so in your case your menu link would need to be http://cycleshanty.com/forums/

I have tried navigating to this on your website and it redirects back to the front page for some reason.
    I have sent you a message on your website.

jayadevan.online
    Participant

@jayadevanonline

Hi,

i am facing exactly the same issue here… When clicking the forum link it gives the 404 error, i checked and tried everything as described in codex and every where else, but no success. and i found @cyclesha had a fix in the website and its working fine now.

can any one please guide me?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar