Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Importing Mingle Forums into bbPress?

• Is it even possible? I have a Mingle Forums install, but I want to switch to something like bbPress because Mingle development has stalled some year plus ago. I’ve got security worries and compatibility issues mounting, and want to switch to something better.

But I would MUCH rather not have to lose everything from my present forums. Am I fresh out of luck?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • This is now in bbPress trac https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2163

(All updates will be posted at the above URL from now on i.e. download from trac NOT GitHub)

The docs will be on the codex at https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/mingle/

srjrol
    Participant

@srjrol

edit: host was having an issue.

I have succumbed and installed Mingle in the need to find what’s going on with the rogue post!

srjrol
    Participant

@srjrol

Thanks for trying to solve that. I was just going to let it go but it’s turning into a problem when I try to make use of the “bbPress Topic Thumbnails” plugin which attempts to find the image in that first post only and does not look further. At least new posts will not be an issue but it sure would be nice to have the rest discovered.

I have updated Mingle.php over in trac here with what I hope should fix things up.

Let me know what other issues you have found that we might be able to improve upon also.

jiapei100
    Participant

@jiapei100

Is this the full solutions already?
    Or the known issues are still there at https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/mingle/ ?

Anyway, can this be more clear for entry-level users like me?
    1) Which folder to put this file Mingle.php ?
    2) Just quickly have a look at my phpMyAdmin http://visionopen.com/questions/phpMyAdmin.png, is there any potential issue(s) for me to proceed with this Mingle.php?

cheers
    Pei

Is this the full solutions already?

Yes

Or the known issues are still there at https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/mingle/ ?

This is up to date, anything listed here are the ‘workarounds’ you will need to do manually.

1) Which folder to put this file Mingle.php ?

Download `Mingle.php` using this link and upload the file with FTP to `/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/admin/converters`

2) Just quickly have a look at my phpMyAdmin http://visionopen.com/questions/phpMyAdmin.png, is there any potential issue(s) for me to proceed with this Mingle.php?

Everything looks good here, on the import screen where it asks for table prefix use `wp_`

Remember to backup your web site pages and database first though…

uglc
    Participant

@uglc

Hi.

I downloaded the latest file from the link that you provided above, put it in the folder `/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/admin/converters` but I couldn’t import my old Mingle forum into bbPress.

When I click start button I get this:

Repair any missing information: Continue
    Conversion Complete
    No replies to convert
    No tags to convert
    No topics to convert
    No forum parents to convert
    No forums to convert
    Starting Conversion

The settings which I tried as below:

Select Platform: Mingle
    Database Server: My host IP
    Database Port: 3306
    Database Name: My database name
    Database User: My database user name
    Database Password: My database password (which I use to login to phpMyAdmin)
    Table Prefix: The prefix that used in my database.

Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance.

uglc
    Participant

@uglc

Hey I solved it after I asked a solution.

I tried `Database Server: localhost` and its done. Thank you.

These are the settings you should use:
    Select Platform: Mingle
    Database Server: localhost
    Database Port: 3306
    Database Name: My database name
    Database User: My database user name
    Database Password: My database password (which I use to login to phpMyAdmin)
    Table Prefix: wp_

The changes above are `localhost` for the database server which is the default and is what is needed for most web hosts, the table prefix `wp_` which matches the screenshot you linked to above.

If this does not work confirm with your webhost the correct settings for your database name, user & password.

uglc
    Participant

@uglc

I confirm that everything is working as described. Thank you for this useful plugin and your quick response.

jiapei100
    Participant

@jiapei100

Hi, ugic:

Where is the START button? I downloaded Mingle.php and put it into the mentioned folder, however, I still don’t know how to proceed the conversion?

I couldn’t see the START button.

Cheers

@jiapei100 From the codex docs https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/#getting-there

• Select the ‘Tools’ tab select ‘Forums’ from the navigation menu
    • Select the ‘Import Forums’ tab at the top of the screen.

You then need to follow the next steps in the docs linked above for your settings.

Don’t forget to read the docs on Mingle and let us know any issues you find.
    https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/mingle/

nbquidditch
    Participant

@nbquidditch

@Stephen Edgar and @jiapei100
    Thanks very much for the work you have done on the Mingle convertor. It was also a useful tutorial to follow through the reconstruction of example.php to mingle.php.

I downloaded mingle.php and ftp’d it into the bbpress /converters folder, set the parameters and everything came across flawlessly. All I had to do was delete the imported_users as mine were already there compliments of WP_Members. A very satisfying process for which I am very grateful because while I was very happy with Mingle and the originator has been helpful, it was also becoming increasingly clear that he has moved onto to other ventures with the result that the support sites looks like it has been taken over by a user that is posting about bogus skins that are linked to ads.

Cheers

Will Chapman

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

Cool… Glad it worked for you 🙂

glasscitymashers
    Participant

@glasscitymashers

I just used the ‘Import Forum’ tool after installing bbPress, and 99% of everything is there! The only thing I need help with is that all posts and replies show the author as Anonymous. Is there a fix for this that I am not aware of? Something I’m doing wrong? I’ve ran all the repairs, as well.

glasscitymashers
    Participant

@glasscitymashers

Any update on this issue I am having?

BroadRippleInc
    Participant

@broadrippleunlimited

I am having an obstacle. I begin the conversion process, with a forum with less than 200 posts in it, and I deactivate all plugins except Buddypress, BBpress, and Mingle.

I have tried this 2 or 3 times now, and virtually 12 hours later the converter is just spinning.

Any idea why the converter (assumed to be correctly configured) is just spinning with the message “Starting Conversion”?

Most likely you have an incorrect setting, see my post above and if needed contact your web host to get them.

Importing Mingle Forums into bbPress?

BroadRippleInc
    Participant

@broadrippleunlimited

I appreciate the reply, the reason I suggested that my settings were correct were that I used the settings out of that domain’s wp-config file.

However, let me ask you, how long does the converter script run before it starts feeding back responses on its activity? For example, if it is succeeding does it start listing the tables or posts successfully migrated?

My point is that I want to know whether I should walk away from it, if say, it hasn’t reported anything other than “started” within 5 minutes or so.

I had read an article that said it took 4-5 hours for a site that had 100,000 posts on a forum. I am no where near that, but want to know if there is more that it reports than “started” and “finished”.

Thank you!

I appreciate the reply, the reason I suggested that my settings were correct were that I used the settings out of that domain’s wp-config file.

Hmmmmm…. Probably need to ensure you have the correct table prefix…

However, let me ask you, how long does the converter script run before it starts feeding back responses on its activity? For example, if it is succeeding does it start listing the tables or posts successfully migrated?

Seconds…

My point is that I want to know whether I should walk away from it, if say, it hasn’t reported anything other than “started” within 5 minutes or so.

Your import ~200 posts should be done in under 2 minutes give or take.

Open up phpMyAdmin and check your table names for the Mingle forum

In my case above the table prefix I would use is wp_

The Mingle Forums Datbase Tables are: wp_forum_forums, wp_forum_group,s, wp_forum_posts, wp_forum_threads, wp_forum_usergroup2user & wp_forum_usergroups

BroadRippleInc
    Participant

@broadrippleunlimited

With a little help from my host giving me: memory_limit = 256M
    max_execution_time = 5000 with a php.ini file, I can now see the fatal error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function convert_forums() on a non-object in /home/broadrip/public_html/sporeganizer.net/wp-content/plugins/bbconverter/bbconverter.php on line 508

Any thoughts on what is causing this? All plugins except bbpress & bbconverter are disabled when I get this error.

BroadRippleInc
    Participant

@broadrippleunlimited

I figured it out! I had separately installed the bbconverter plugin, and it was activated at the same time as bbpress, which of course now includes the bbconverter.

Thank you for your time, I am good to go!

Cool, let me know how it all ends up 🙂

Jakub Orlowski
    Participant

@jakub-orlowski

Hello,

I have a little problem with migration from Mingle to bbPress. Look at screens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jg08dknumc09n12/Zrzut%20ekranu%202014-01-25%20%28godz.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qixhexax8b3ire2/Zrzut%20ekranu%202014-01-25%20%28godz.%2017.25.45%29.png

Login and password are correct. But after click start, bbPress notify me that, there is no to migration. What should I do?

Name od data base I used (with commas): wp_forum_forums, wp_forum_group,s, wp_forum_posts, wp_forum_threads, wp_forum_usergroup2user, wp_forum_usergroups

During to try migrated bbPress and Mingle are ON. Please help.

[Sorry for my english]

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar