Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

importing from local mdb – what settings please

• Robin W

@robin-w

I have a snitz forum on an access database, which I am trying to import into BBpress. (basically I am taking over an old website and redoing it in wordpress)

Wordpress is 3.5.1 and BBpress 2.2.4
    site is http://www.gospbc.co.uk)

I have tailored the example convertor and saved it as smitz.php in the right folder (it is coming up on the list)

q1 where in my my site do I put the .mdb that I have. I have tried the root but the import doesn’t seem to find a database,
    q2 in the import what do I answer to
    database server -do i leave as localhost or do I need to put a directory path in?
    database name : do i put xx.mdb or just xx?
    Database user and password – the access database has no username or password – do i just leave these fields blank?

At the moment all I get is :

Conversion Complete

No replies to convert

No tags to convert

No topics to convert

No forum parents to convert

No forums to convert

Starting Conversion

so it can’t be finding the database

Any ideas to progress please?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You cannot import directly from a database file is the first thing and the second is that your database must be in MySQL format.

You will need to convert your Access .mdb database to MySQL then upload this database to your webhost/localhost.

Robin W

@robin-w

Stephen,

Thanks, that got me going in the right direction and I have achieved it.

I’ll try and post the full method for future users – I found your custom stuff useful https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/custom-import/

Working out the mapping and date formats took a bit of effort, but once there the rest is easy !

Thanks again

Robin W

@robin-w

PS the example.php that downloads with the bbpress plugin doesn’t have a bit to bring the message accross, so initially I had a great forum with no topic content!

I nicked the following from another converter and it seemed to work

// Topic content.
    // Note: We join the posts table because topics do not have content.
    $this->field_map[] = array(
    ‘from_tablename’ => ‘FORUM_TOPICS’,
    ‘from_fieldname’ => ‘T_MESSAGE’,
    ‘join_tablename’ => ‘thread’,
    ‘join_type’ => ‘INNER’,
    ‘join_expression’ => ‘USING (threadid) WHERE post.parentid = 0′,
    ‘to_type’ => ‘topic’,
    ‘to_fieldname’ => ‘post_content’,
    ‘callback_method’ => ‘callback_html’

Again, thanks for writing that post. 🙂

I have a newer version of the ‘example’ converter that includes much greater inline documentation and ‘best practices’ based on all the other importers and it is now just a matter of updating the docs to match this and including it with a future release of bbPress.

We would be more than happy to include the Snitz Forums converter with bbPress. Just create a ticket and upload it to https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/

Robin W

@robin-w

Can you point me to the newer example, and i’ll code that for snitz so that it looks consistent and has help prompts in it, then I’ll ticket it to you.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar