Categories
Search
Bottom

Import Forums

• Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Maybe I’m blind but …
    I’ve just installed bbPress plugin to my WP, with the idea to import Mingle forums but “Getting There” is not getting me anywhere as there is no Import Forums tab.
    The only tabs there are All Forums and New Forum
    My Dashboard Printscreen
    Am I in the wrong place or…?

Help please! 🙁

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

No you’re not blind! it’s hidden in

Dashboard>tools>forums>import forums

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Thank you so much! 🙂
    Now I’m stuck again.. I have no idea what is the “Name of the database with your old forum data” and “Table prefix”. Not to mention that all of it is just plain scary :S

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress will need to access the old database, so it will need the name, and within that database and ‘prefix’ which helps separate databases.

Is there anyone you can contact to find out that info, or where is the database at the moment?

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Hm… Judging by another similar topic, I suppose the database name and user is simply my WP database (where I have the annoying Mingle as plugin) and the Table prefix should be wp_forum_ ?
    I tried that but the result showed “No topics found .. no … nothing found”

Robin W

@robin-w

It’s probably just ‘wp’

If that doesn’t work come back

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Well… this time I’m using “wp” as Table prefix, with “Start Over” and “Purge Previous Import” selected and, for the past 7 hours, it’s been “Deleting previously converted data” ….. (should I mention that the first attempt took only minutes so, I don’t see how the revert process could be taking so long) 🙁

PS
    So I stopped it and started over, without the Purge option and ..
    “Repair any missing information: Continue

WordPress database error: [Table ‘mydatabasename.wpforum_forums’ doesn’t exist]
    SELECT convert(forum_forums.id USING “utf8”) AS id,convert(forum_forums.parent_id USING “utf8”) AS parent_id,convert(forum_forums.name USING “utf8”) AS name,convert(forum_forums.description USING “utf8”) AS description,convert(forum_forums.sort USING “utf8″) AS sort FROM wpforum_forums AS forum_forums LIMIT 0, 100

No forums to convert”

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, suggest you quit that and do

dashboard>tools>forums>reset forums

and then try the conversion again.

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Please see my PS
    Sorry

Done the reset now… it says Deleting Conversion Table… Failed

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, you probably need to contact your host provider to get the correct database name as it tells you that ‘mydatabasename.wpforum_forums’ doesn’t exist.

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Ok
    Thank you for your help. I will let you know if I ever manage to do it 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

There are companies who do this for a fee for instance

Migrate Mingle to bbpress

(I have no connection nor have I used these people !!)

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

I did it!
    The missing thing was “_”… When I used “wp_” as the Table prefix, it worked!
    On the other hand, the process drove my host crazy and I hope that bbPress itself wont prove to be (how they like to put it) abusing the resources…

Robin W

@robin-w

Hey really pleased – I started learning bbpress when I was asked to convert a Snitz forum in an access database to bbpress – it took me 17 attempts before I got it all working, with numerous resets and deletes in between, so I know the bizz you get when it finally works !

Hopefully it will all settle down now !

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Well.. the site is still down… and I can only hope they are just punishing me for the “abuse” the wrong import produced, because I can not imagine the idea that bbPress is causing something worse than Mingle.
    That said, could you please tell me whether bbPress needs these tables or I can delete them (they should be Mingle’s):

wp_forum_forums
    wp_forum_groups
    wp_forum_posts
    wp_forum_threads
    wp_forum_usergroup2user
    wp_forum_usergroups

Robin W

@robin-w

No bbpress doesn’t need these, so if you have a backup of them, then yes they can be deleted.

Springgg
    Participant

@springgg

Thanks again! 🙂

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar