Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I want to remove (yes, remove. NOT hide) the Breadcrumb from forum home

• Jake Hall
    Participant

@geekserve

I want to fully remove it, I am integrating breadcrumbs myself in a completely different place. I have found no template I can add to my theme which will allow me to control the breadcrumb on the forum root page.

Any replies with silly css hacks will be ignored, if I want to remove it I don’t want dormant elements hidden on the page, I want it gone!

Can anyone assist with this please?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Any replies with silly css hacks will be ignored

not sure that attacking potential helpers is the best way to get a response. Using hide in css is a perfectly acceptable way of achieving things even if you think it silly. I prefer non css solutions purely because my css is rubbish 🙂

Anyway in the documentation you will find

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

enjoy !

Jake Hall
    Participant

@geekserve

Hey Rob,

That came out a little rude, I didn’t mean it like that. I was just trying to say I wasn’t interested in hiding it with a CSS Rule, and wanted it removed completely. You say it is a perfectly valid way of removing things, but since when is having duplicate content and useless elements on a page a good thing?

Secondly, the codex page tells you how to completely disable breadcrumbs, I merely want to move it. I was hoping there was a template file I could edit to remove it, and then manually place it elsewhere on the page – but it doesn’t seem as if that’s possible.

Either way, CSS hide or Functions edit, neither will work in my case since I still want to make use of Breadcrumbs, I just want to change the DOM location

Robkk

@robkk

this should do it, place in child theme functions.php or a functionality plugin

function bm_bbp_no_breadcrumb ($param) {

if (bbp_is_forum_archive()) {

return true;

}

}

add_filter ('bbp_no_breadcrumb', 'bm_bbp_no_breadcrumb');

Robin W

@robin-w

bit of a difference between

and wanted it removed completely

and

I merely want to move it.

🙂

but it doesn’t seem as if that’s possible.

um, yes it is, you just hadn’t asked !

just use

<?php bbp_breadcrumb(); ?>

in the code

there are many template files that use this

just look in

templates\default\bbpress\

and you’ll find all the templates

tell us where you want it, and we’ll try to help further

Jake Hall
    Participant

@geekserve

You are not understanding the problem.

There is a hardcoded breadcrumb within what I seem to think is within this line of code:

<?php do_action( 'bbp_template_before_forums_loop' ); ?>

I am essentially stuck with the breadcrumb only in the forum root page, I have been able to move it via the user of template files in every other part of the forum. It seems to be impossible to remove the breadcrumb from the homepage using templates.

Robin W

@robin-w

You are not understanding the problem.

spot on !

the code you gave is an action, so would not contain the breadcrumb unless some other code outside bbpress is actioning it.

can you give us a link/url to a page and tell us what you want moved/added/changed

Jake Hall
    Participant

@geekserve

Hi Rob,

Can’t show a live link since it is not currently live.

Here’s how it looks:
    Current

Essentially, can you see the breadcrumb inside its own content box? that’s what I have added manually. That is where I want my breadcrumb, it looks much better separate from the forum content.

However, the breadcrumb then also appears within the forum root / home page.

I was able to edit this out in every other page via the user of template files found in /bbpress/templates/bbpress and /extras, however, I have been unable to spot a template which I can edit for the forum root page.

Every other page is working flawlessly. Just this one page.

Robin W

@robin-w

I presume you want rid of the one to the left of search ?

that should be in

bbpress/templates/default/bbopress/content-archive-forum.php line 24 in 2.5.5

Jake Hall
    Participant

@geekserve

Hey Rob,

Thanks for that. Why does the Codex not have these details available to the user? I see countless posts on here with people requesting how to do this, and those that help suggest a wide variety of solutions which, in my opinion, aren’t the right way to do it. I guess its the easiest way though, as it avoids the user having to edit 20+ files to remove the breadcrumb, but does that not indicate a design flaw within bbPress itself?

I’ve essentially fixed that flaw within my installation by removing the breadcrumb in all templates, and adding it to the bbPress.php file. One place to edit, one place to remove – instead of twenty!

If I ever get the time, I would be more than willing to write up what each template file does within the codex.

Robin W

@robin-w

Why does the Codex not have these details available to the user?

Unfortunately good coders tend to be rubbish documenters ! I’m just a user of the software I wrote a fair amount of the codex as I was building my first bbpress forum two years ago, when the codex was open for all to contribute. Unfortunately spammers put pay to that, and now only certain people have access.

but does that not indicate a design flaw within bbPress itself?

The authors had given a way to switch the code off, and a flaw depends on how you define it. Many themes work perfectly well without the need to create a bbpress.php, so putting it in the plugin is a more logical area – maybe? Anyway not my cause to argue, I just use the software !

If I ever get the time, I would be more than willing to write up what each template file does within the codex.

Would be fantastic of you would, send it to me via my website on http://www.rewweb.co.uk and I’ll happily add it to help others, and credit you !

Glad you got fixed in the end !

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar