Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to: Prevent users from posting url links

• Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I want to prevent “anyone” writing a topic or reply in the forum from posting any links. Period. I am flummoxed that I can only find one topic on this in bbPress or WP and that topic is almost 5 years old.

I do not require users to register to create topics and make replies and I would like to keep it that way. However, I don’t want to allow anyone to be able to write HTML or post links to “anything” in the forum. If it has to include moderators, even me, that’s fine.

Lately unregistered users have been able to post links to images within their topic or reply that takes users to another website or they are able to post links to image websites in a way that the images are embedded in the reply, without the image being manipulated. One image was so large that all that displayed was an ankle!

I have a plugin in the forum sidebar for users to upload images to a gallery where the images are checked for needing approval. From the dashboard I can edit and size the image and then insert them into the topics and replies. The moderators also know how to do this. This has worked well.

I am leery of links to inappropriate websites and I need to stop this now. Does anyone know how to set bbPress or WP to ban links or is there a plugin that does this?
    Thank you, Matoca

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

add this to your child themes functions.php file or insert this snippet into a functionality plugin and all links posted to your forum would just return plain text.

remove_filter( 'bbp_get_reply_content', 'bbp_make_clickable', 4    );	
    remove_filter( 'bbp_get_topic_content', 'bbp_make_clickable', 4    );

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

@robbk
    Wow! This really works well! Thank you for taking the time to post this so quickly. I found a functionality plugin that is simple to use, installed it and within a few minutes I had succeeded in turning a link into just plain text.

At least now, if someone is really intent on posting a suspicious link, the users will have to go to some effort to copy and paste this elsewhere.

my best
    matoca

Robkk

@robkk

@matoca

no problem

americanlimousine
    Participant

@americanlimousine

Ya this is really works well . it is helpful for the moderators

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar