Categories
Search
Bottom

How to notify per forum?

• madflute
    Participant

@madflute

Hi,

I have 3 forums, one for editors, one for contributors, and one for subscribers. What can I do so each of these 3 roles will receive notifications when a new topic and/or reply was posted to each of the forums?

Thank you for any help!
    -Hiro

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Robin W

@robin-w

or bbp toolkit

bbPress Toolkit

madflute
    Participant

@madflute

Thank you for your help! bbPress Notify wants $15 subscription fee for this feature, bbPress Private Group Bridge add-on, which isn’t possible with this non-profit organization site.

I looked hard at bbPress Toolkit but I couldn’t find the way to do this. Any pointer would be appreciated.

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, but we all have to live, and I don’t plan to replicate Vinny’s code for free.

Users are of course free to subscribe themselves to forums, and then they receive what you are after

madflute
    Participant

@madflute

Hmmm, then something I am doing wrong. They are all subscribed to each forum but not receiving any notification on the new post/reply.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, you may need to debug your email system

start with

WP Test Email

then it may be your host provider is stripping emails with many bcc’s in it – some do because of spam, so then look at

AsynCRONous bbPress Subscriptions

let us know how you get on

madflute
    Participant

@madflute

Sorry, I should have been clearer. For some reason, notification to the Editor forum has been working since day one but ones to the Contributors forum and the Subscribers forum never send out any notification even to editors who are subscribed to all three. So the problem seems to be at the forum level.

Also, for the life of me, I can’t find where to modify the notification messages.

Robin W

@robin-w

in which case I’d try the asynchronous emails – it may be bulk sending isn’t working as your host email provider may treat as spam. Also might be worth talking to your host provider to see if they can see if emails are being sent or not – this is also worth a read https://contactform7.com/best-practice-to-set-up-mail/ , whilst it is about contact form 7, the principles still apply.

Robin W

@robin-w

as for editing messages

bbPress Custom Notification Emails

madflute
    Participant

@madflute

Thank you for your help. It took me a while to figure out what’s going on. It seems bbPressNotify is the culprit. I once installed this plugin and modified the message with it. But then when I found out it allows forum to notify only one of the three forums unless I pay for the add-on subscription, I deleted the plugin. Apparently it is still in effect. That is why it only sends a notification to the Editor forum with the message I originally defined a long time ago with bbPressNotify. I don’t know how to delete the leftover data of this plugin.

Just for clarification, was bbPress could have done what I need without any plugin? Just recap, what I need is:
    We have 3 forums
    1) Editor forum (hidden from all) – editors subscribed
    2) Contributor forum (hidden from public) – contributors and editors subscribed
    3) Subscribers forum (public) – all registered users subscribed
    Notification from each forum new post/reply

Did I really need bbP Private Groups plugin, and did I really need notification plugin for sending out notifications, or bbP could have done this without plugins?

useStrict
    Participant

@usestrict

Hi @madflute,

I see you posted your comment 1 year and 4 months ago, but I’m only seeing it now – you should have posted your question on the WP.org forums, which I monitor closely.

There are several things wrong with your comment below.

It seems bbPressNotify is the culprit. I once installed this plugin and modified the message with it. But then when I found out it allows forum to notify only one of the three forums unless I pay for the add-on subscription, I deleted the plugin. Apparently it is still in effect.

bbpnns will not work if it is inactive. When it is deleted, it removes all of the data. If you select one or more role to receive notifications, it will send said notifications from whatever forum to everyone in all of the selected roles. It does not limit notifications to one of the 3 forums. The Private groups add-on makes bbpnns *restrict* sending notifications to recipients who don’t have access to the forum where the message was posted.

I need is:
    We have 3 forums
    1) Editor forum (hidden from all) – editors subscribed
    2) Contributor forum (hidden from public) – contributors and editors subscribed
    3) Subscribers forum (public) – all registered users subscribed
    Notification from each forum new post/reply

Did I really need bbP Private Groups plugin, and did I really need notification plugin for sending out notifications, or bbP could have done this without plugins?

No, you didn’t need any of that is you’re using subscriptions to control who gets notified. Not sure how you’re hiding (from all, from public) your forums. If you’re doing that via Private Groups plugin, then yes, you needed it. You also don’t need bbpnns unless you want to customize the notification being sent out. If you do use bbpnns, then you can simply set the override subscriptions options in the Topics and Replies tab. You can also use the Dry Run tool (under the support tab) to see how/if it’s working as you expect.

Cheers,
    Vinny

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar