Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

how to display list of sub-forums on separate lines, instead of big blob?

• Any suggestions for how to show your list of sub-forums on separate lines, one underneath the other?

Ours are all in one big chunk, underneath the forum title. They look horrible and are hard to read.

Thanks!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • I think it’s still some kind of caching issue. We’ve got WP Super Cache installed and there may be issues with that, as well as the need to edit something in our .htaccess file, which i can’t find!

Will be talking to our hosting company tomorrow and hopefully we can pinpoint the problem! Thanks again…. :-)

Jarret
    Participant

@jarretc

Sure thing, if you do find out a solution please post it here so I as well as others can learn from it for potential future situations :)

Will do! If I try to switch from legacy caching to mod_rewrite, I get a complicated message saying there’s a conflict in our .htaccess file, so I’m thinking that’s probably it.

But I’ll let you know!

Hey Jarrett, I think we may fixed our caching issue (fingers crossed).

Just in case anyone else was having a similar issue with WP Super Cache, what we did is change from Legacy caching to mod_rewrite and hit the “Update mod-rewrite rules” button down at the bottom of the Settings page. Now, instead of having a bunch of yellow warning boxes telling us there’s a problem, we can actually select mod_rewrite (the recommended setting) and the warning boxes have all disappeared.

Since you were so helpful before, I’m wondering if you might be able to help us troubleshoot one more layout issue with our forums front page.

Currently, we have 5 main sections of our forum, with one of them (the Cafe) having the majority of our activity. With your help, we were able to at least separate the 11 forums inside the Cafe onto separate lines, but now, instead of showing a count for the number of topics and posts per forum, there is only one line for the entire Cafe that displays on the front page.

In essence, it’s one single summary for the most important part of our forum!

Can you (or anyone else) tell me how to show the number of topics and posts in the Topics and Posts column, PER forum, by editing the loop-single-forum.php file?

And perhaps also remove those same numbers displayed in parentheses at the end of each forum title?

Thanks so much!

Jarret
    Participant

@jarretc

Hmmm did you still need help? I checked out your forum at http://www.noonesthebitch.com/community/ and I’m not seeing any subforum titled The Cafe. I know you used to have it on there before when I helped you previously.

terence.milbourn
    Participant

@terencemilbourn

After all that it seems the moved on and decided to do some digital share-cropping over at Ning. Silly girls. They’ll learn eventually.

Miniflowers

@miniflowers

Yeah, we were never able to get things up and running as we had hoped, so we said “screw it” and migrated over to Ning. They seem to have everything we were looking for and it was set up in about 30 minutes. :)

Jarret
    Participant

@jarretc

It is all good, maybe sometime in the future somebody will have this issue and find this thread and it will help them :)

AAShepAA
    Participant

@aashepaa

This really should be put into the original code. Great tip.

Ommy
    Participant

@bounomid

@JarretC thank you so much, I have simillar problem and using your solution for now. can you help me to have that subcategories on seperate rows below the main category?
    and have that main categories on seperate columes?
    thanks again

I copied that code on “bbPress>bbp theme compact>bbpress” for custom community theme and it worked great ๐Ÿ˜€

Its never a good idea to modify the bbPress core file as any changes you make will be lost when bbPress is updated, instead add this code to your themes functions.php.

The code is here https://gist.github.com/3797945

• This reply was modified 11 years, 7 months ago by Stephen Edgar.
    • This reply was modified 11 years, 7 months ago by Stephen Edgar. Reason: This 'markdown' plugin here is killing me for formatting :(

Ommy
    Participant

@bounomid

@netweb thanks, it worked for me ๐Ÿ™‚

ADorward
    Participant

@adorward

Hi,
    I am working with newspro theme and in the forums, want to have the forums under each category display on their own lines just as if they weren’t categorized.

I tried,
    changing <?php bbp_list_forums(); ?>
    with
    <?php bbp_list_forums( array ( ‘separator’ => ‘<br />’ ) ); ?>

but had no luck.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    http://youniversityhub.com/forums1

PureLoneWolf
    Participant

@purelonewolf

Hi there

I used the code in my themes function.php file, as detailed above and it worked perfectly. That is, until I upgraded to 2.4 a few minutes ago, now the open forums changed position with the private ones (no problem) but the subforums are back listed on one line again.

The function.php file still contains the code, so I guess something has changed with bbpress.

Would someone know what I should do now?

Many thanks

I cant look at the code right at this minute as I’m mobile but what happens if you remove that from your functions.php, I know a few changes have been made but cannot reference them at the minute.

PureLoneWolf
    Participant

@purelonewolf

Hiya

Thanks for the response. I have commented out the code and there is no change at all to the forum display.

Thanks

kimbo_king
    Participant

@kimbo_king

Great thank you

How do I amend it so the posts/ topics move in line with the posts/ topics of the โ€˜parent forumโ€™

Thanks for the help

PureLoneWolf
    Participant

@purelonewolf

Has anyone managed to get this working?

thanks

PureLoneWolf
    Participant

@purelonewolf

@adorward I see you got it working on your forum? How did you manage to sort it?

Thanks

kriskl
    Participant

@kriskl

I think this code will work if you add it to your functions file

function custom_bbp_list_forums() {
    $args[‘separator’] = ‘<br />’;

return $args;
    }

add_filter(‘bbp_before_list_forums_parse_args’, ‘custom_bbp_list_forums’ );

PureLoneWolf
    Participant

@purelonewolf

Hi there

Unfortunately, when I add that code, I get a server error when trying to load the forums page. You have used โ€˜ instead of ‘.

That said, it has to be something to do with my theme. I applied this code to another site, and it worked (both are fully up to date), whereas the site that it originally worked on, won’t do anything with that code.

Ah well, I needed a new theme anway lol

Kaliceos
    Participant

@kaliceos

@purelonewolf I think I managed to do what @adorward was asking. I don’t know how he did it, but here is how I did.

PureLoneWolf
    Participant

@purelonewolf

Thanks – I will try what you suggest ๐Ÿ™‚

PureLoneWolf
    Participant

@purelonewolf

I posted a new topic…I think there are other issues.

Issue since upgrade to 2.4

Cheers

pekmez
    Participant

@pekmez

the path is just like for the version 2.4.1

wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/loop-single-forum.php

As JarretC wrote before

Change the line 30

<?php bbp_list_forums(); ?>

to

<?php bbp_list_forums( array ( 'separator' => '<br />' ) ); ?>

Thanx JarretC

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar