Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How do I create sections for my forums?

• Qeelin
    Participant

@qeelin

I have searched the webernets tirelessly for an answer to this problem with no luck. I was checking out the example forums you list here bbpress.org/about/examples/ when I came across a site called tamrielfoundry.com/ and I noticed that they break up groups of forums. If you look at the first section “General Discussion” and click on one of the forums you will notice that the URL changes from tamrielfoundry.com/forums/ to tamrielfoundry.com/forum/general/general-discussion/ If you click on the top forum in the next section you jump from tamrielfoundry.com/forums/ to tamrielfoundry.com/forum/classes/class-discussion/ They seem to have the ability to have more than one single forum. Is this even possible with bbpress or has this site changed to a different forum? If this isn’t bbpress, is this kind of thing even possible. I would love the ability to break up sections of forums even if I have to somehow create a main forum page and build it by hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WordPress version 4.2.2
    bbPress version 2.5.7
    http://4nerdsgaming.com

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

I think they just removed the forum root slug in settings > forums and created categories for each forum.

Qeelin
    Participant

@qeelin

So if I clear the box for root slug in settings > forums what does that do? I’m not sure I completely understand what you’re saying.

Robkk

@robkk

instead of this on single forums

bbpress.org/forums/forum/pimp-your-press/

you would have this.

bbpress.org/forum/pimp-your-press/

And if you create a category for some forums you could have

bbpress.org/forum/design/pimp-your-press/

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

But out of the box BBPress does not separate forums in different categories.

This needs to be achieved with a few hacks.

TamrielFoundry was my model as it is the better looking BBPress forum on the web.

After trying a few hacks, like the “epicwebs” snippets from GitHub I decided to create a simpler loophole.

I created a page (see here) on which I added the following text to create categories with a forum list of each categorie under it.

<strong>Creative</strong>
    [bbp-single-forum id=63]

<strong>Healthy Living</strong>
    [bbp-single-forum id=164]

<strong>Entertainment</strong>
    [bbp-single-forum id=58]

The lines “bbp-single-forum id=XX” has the ID for each category with the forums of that category displayed under them.

Good luck
    P.H.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

BBFacelook a bbpress theme

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar