Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Help me grasp the bbPress flow

• TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I’m going to build a sports fan site which will have a discussion group/forum area. I’ve got pretty deep WP experience on the admin side, and have written my own themes and plugins in the past in PHP.

I’m trying to grasp the structure and flow of bbPress. I installed it on a dev server and have been playing around and still not really sure how it is supposed to work. It’s not terribly intuitive to me.

I create a forum, but it is inside the “forums” so my ugly url is mysite.com/forums/forum/forumname. That’s kind of poo, but fine. After I create the forum I see nowhere to create a new post in the front end. So I create a topic in the back end and try to attach it to a forum, but it will only attach to certain forums and not others. Haven’t figured that out yet.

How do I simply have one forum with sub topics like this:

Sports
    –Football
    —football posts go in here
    –Baseball
    —baseball posts go in here
    –Basketball
    —basketball posts go in here

Any input would be great.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Okay so I may be getting the hang a little bit better.

Sports (category)
    –Football (forum)
    —(topics go inside)

Seem right?

Robkk

@robkk

Yeah that looks about right.

So you did not see the topic form when you inserted a single forum on the frontend of your site??

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Thanks Robkk. It’s a little unorthodox but I’ve got the hang of it. Being able to arrange the forums in a particular order in the back end is a sorely needed feature.

Robkk

@robkk

Edit the forum and change the order.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

@Robkk thanks for that. I had googled setting the order and found apparently some OLD results saying it could not be done. So I created an entire forum index page from scratch to overcome the issue! At least it looks good!

Many thanks for your reponses.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar