Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Give bbPress full editor by default?

• Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Hey guys. So Ive been wondering this for a long time, and I just dont understand. Why is bbPress’ editor so bad? Everything uses lame tags and is very primitive. WordPress already has color and bold and italic and linking and everything integrated, so why doesn’t bbPress add this?

No one can actually tell me that bbPress is meant to be this way? Is there something stopping the devs from just importing the full editor over…?

Very curious…

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You can enable the full TinyMCE editor in bbPress, details are here.

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

May I ask why the issue that’s causing it is still persistent if it’s been known for so long?

I would imagine it’s a small bug?

It is not a bug, we removed the default behaviour to have both editors enabled by default in 2.3.1, switching between editor types would more often than not change the content of the users topics or replies.

Now that TinyMCE v4 has shipped with WordPress v3.9.x once we have a few more architectural fixes in bbPress we can take another look, it is far from a small bug, quite complex to be honest.

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Mm I see 🙁

So once I change this, every user on the site will see the TinyMCE editor correct?

Yes

troydbertrand
    Participant

@troydbertrand

How’s it going Stephen?

The “bbPress Enable TinyMCE Visual Tab” plugin was malfunctioning so I disabled it and followed the link you posted above and the solution worked in that it enabled the WYSIWYG editor in the forums but I had other issues that I was hoping it would have solved but it didn’t. Rich text copied and pasted in Internet Explorer get’s converted to and posted as raw HTML. Is I’ve tried switching themes to see if it’s a theme issue but it’s not.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix available for this?

Please advise me…your help is appreciated.

TDB

acousticwebdesign
    Participant

@acousticwebdesign

I’m having the same exact issue Troy. It’s not limited to internet explorer though. I’ve gotten reports of this happening with several browsers (including iOS Safari – text copied from mail) but it does seem to happen more frequently when copying from a Microsoft editor (Word, Outlook, etc).

This is a huge problem and requires hours of moderation and manual cleanup. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.

Hmmmm, this is not going to be quick nor easy to solve at this stage. There are quite few updates for pasting from Word and Excel slated for WordPress 3.9.2 but I haven’t tested any of them for bbPress, I’ll take a look in the next few days.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Pasting HTML and metadata is a WordPress/TinyMCE issue, and not really a bbPress bug to solve. There are WordPress plugins to disable HTML pasting, and we do support them, and we could go as far as including this in core as a helper for people that do turn TinyMCE on.

Doug Smith
    Participant

@douglsmith

I ran across this discussion while trying to solve a similar issue so I thought I’d update it with my solution.

After enabling the visual editor I started seeing HTML present in some of the posts. The cause was people copying from a previous part of the discussion and pasting it into the editor to quote it. That was bringing in styles from the website and including it in the editor as HTML. For example:

<span style="color: #666666; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 20px; line-height: 32px; orphans: 3; widows: 3; background-color: #fbfbfb;">Some copied and pasted text from earlier in the discussion.</span>

My solution was to add the TinyMCE _paste_ plugin to the editor, which defaults to cleaning up pasted text. Here’s the filter:

function bbp_tinymce_paste_plain_text( $plugins = array() ) {
     	$plugins[] = 'paste';
        return $plugins;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_get_tiny_mce_plugins', 'bbp_tinymce_paste_plain_text' );

markcummins
    Participant

@comminski

This worked for me, Thanks @douglsmith

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar