Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Search Form (Widget) | Space between words returns a 404

• thinkDrew
    Participant

@thinkdrew

Afternoon,

I am using the (bbpress) Forum Search Form within the sidebar widget section and noticed a little bug. When you search one word like “Fries” you will get the search results page BUT when you try and add a second word “French Fries” the search returns a 404 page instead of the results page with the “Oh bother! No search results were found here!” message.

I have not added or changed anything to the bbpress core files – has someone else run into this issue that can provide a fix?

Cheers!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

I could not reduplicate this issue on a default theme like TwentyFifteen.

Try it on your end on a default theme and see if you come across the same result.

Try it on a test site/local site with a WordPress default theme, then try with your current theme.

thinkDrew
    Participant

@thinkdrew

Thanks for the reply!

This is actually something I did before posting here (should have mentioned it) and while running the default 2015 theme, I am running into the same issue. This is the URL /forums/search/french+fries/ that is returning in the browser instead of the normal /?s=french+fries peram.

It’s strange as I have several other corporate wordpress sites running (not w/ bbpress) but have never had a problem with “out of the box” search widgets :)…

I will continue to test (only running 4 plugins) and see what comes from that.

Robkk

@robkk

This is the URL /forums/search/french+fries/ that is returning in the browser instead of the normal /?s=french+fries peram.

The first url is normal for the bbPress forums search, in the second is normal for default WordPress search.

https://bbpress.org/forums/search/French+Fries/

In a plain permalink setup the forum search does look like this

yoursite.com/forums/search/?action=bbp-search-request&bbp_search=french+fries

What other themes have you tried and what are the currently active plugins you have right now??

vadim77
    Participant

@vadim77

I have exactly the same issue. It looks like /french+fries/ URL does not work but if you replace it with anything else like space /french%20fries/ then it works. May be this bug is Windows/IIS specific?

vadim77
    Participant

@vadim77

One more thing and may be it is connected, Edit also does not work on posts. It fails to find the page.

thinkDrew
    Participant

@thinkdrew

@vadim77

You are correct! When you change the + symbol in between the words to %20, everything works as it’s supposed to.

@Robkk

Considering the change from the + symbol to %20 works, what would our next steps be in order to get this working properly? If we can get the search to return the %20 as the separator, everything should be fine.

I have tried this within the 2015 / 2016 default wordpress themes with the same issue. Plugins running are Ultimate Member, bbpress & WP SMTP

thinkDrew
    Participant

@thinkdrew

@vadim77

I fixed my issue by using the default wordpress search (not bb search widget) and by adding this snippet into my functions.php. This snippet adds the bbpress hook into the default search and works like a charm (adds topics & replies) to search results. This will also make it much easier styling the search results page consistently (forum results vs blog / page results).

Thanks to: @undergroundnetwork for your snippet!

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/plugin-snippet-hack-to-include-bbpress-topics-in-wordpress-search/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar