Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Import – Preserving User IDs – Vbulletin to WordPress

• invest0r7
    Participant

@invest0r7

Hi All,

As the title says, I’m hoping there’s some way to preserve the same User IDs when importing forum users from vbulletin to WordPress. We’re starting a new site from scratch, but we have a ton of database info tied to specific user IDs.

Is this possible? Would be awesome to have this feature.

Thank you

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hi,
    I have never tried, but if you are migrating to a new WordPress/bPress site, then I don’t see why this would not be possible. You just need some SQL skills to modify the DB after you inmport your users.
    Pascal.

invest0r7
    Participant

@invest0r7

Well, true, I guess it’d be possible to manually do it via SQL. I was just wondering/hoping if it were a built-in optional feature. If it isn’t I think that’d be a useful option to implement. Simply an option where on import it can assign the same User ID to each username that existed from the previous forum.

When importing every imported user has there old user id added to the wp_usermeta table:

_bbp_old_user_id 318

You can check them all out via this MySQL snippet:

SELECT * FROM wp_usermeta WHERE meta_key LIKE '%_bbp_old_user_id%'

So, yes, preserving/storing the old user ID is already included in bbPress

incibes
    Participant

@incibes

Thank you for the tips provided, Stephen! However, isn’t there any user-friendly plugin for this? I am a total MySQL noob. We are currently choosing from responsive WP themes at http://www.templatemonster.com/wordpress-themes.php for our Alumni Association website redesign, but we already have an existing board based on vBulletin, so smooth migration seems to be very challenging.

There are no themes or plugins that I know of that support _bbp_old_user_id, bbPress offers that and exposes it for developers to use as they will.

I pretty much cannot see any use case where displaying the old vBulletin user ID would be required, it really would only be needed to map previous vBulletin extensions and plugins to bbPress after migration.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar