Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

forgotten username

• deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

I just had a user giving a load of grief for a reason which basically boiled down to the fact they they had forgotten their username.

It is true that there doesn’t appear to be a way to get this info through the lost password dialog box – which doesn’t allow you to put your registered email address in there to retrieve the information.

I did read somewhere that bbP 1 allowed you to use your email address to login but in my experience this doesn’t work.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

anyone?

I think you’re right. I only know how to request a password reset, which is only possible from bb-login.php *after* you’ve failed at least one signin attempt with the username you’re trying to sign into.

The whole username management section could use a revamp to support:

* Password Reset: A standalone page where you can request a password reset (instead of requiring users to signin incorrectly once)

* Forgot Username: The ability to request what account(s) are tied to a particular email.

* A security question/clue feature upon registration, that’s also available when editing profile and/or signing in.

You’d probably need a plugin to achieve all that though…

deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

thanks for your reply.

On my login form, which appears at the top of every page in my site, I have a link to the bb-login.php page titled (lost password?). I just thought that the password recovery should allow input of username or registered email address.

There was talk about something like this allowing people to check if someone was registered by typing in email addresses and checking for the errors. Alternatively the message could just be “If this email address is registered on the forum an email has been sent with your details in. Please check your SPAM folder carefully if it fails to arrive. If you are sure you registered with this email address and receive no email then please contact the forum administrator.” Or something like that.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

You can login with your email address in 1.0 and I made a plugin for it in 0.9

deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

I had read something about that, but it doesn’t work for me.

I get an error returned saying that “user does not exist” if I try and log in, and on an attempted password recovery “The specified user does not exist.”

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Recovery won’t allow email. But I did login via email.

Recovery via email address would be a good suggestion for TRAC.

Do they do that for WordPress yet? Ponder…

John Conners
    Participant

@johnconners

Unless I’m missing something I don’t believe you can log in with your email address to bbPress 1.0. You certainly can’t on this forum or my own (both running 1.0.2).

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar