Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

foodadelphia

• foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

thank you all, especially _ck_ and sambauers, for providing such an insightful discussion forum and great plugins that allowed me to create the community that i’m hoping will be the de facto food & drink retreat for the greater Philadelphia area.

foodadelphia

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Nice clean layout. You might want to look at it using the large fonts setting in Windows, the “remember me” gets pushed over to a new line (some of us have eyesight problems ;-)

Even though you are on 1.0, the query count seems a little high for some pages, I wonder if something is off. I can definitely tell you are on shared hosting because of the page render times.

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

yikes, i don’t even know what query count means, but yes i’m on a shared host from whom i’m looking to leave (they don’t provide any ssh or RoR support). I’d appreciate an explanation of query counts, _ck_, thanks, man.

as far as the fonts go, i installed ie 6 and 8 on my girlfriend’s pc running vista, i made .posts show up as 1.2em because i kinda like when the content itself grabs attention, and it didn’t look to bad (also increased line height to 1.3em), but it’s hard for me to test xp and ie. i know that macs see 72px and win sees 96px but i didn’t realize it changed it that much. should i just inherit the 1em, which is 62.5% in kakumei?

not sure where the “remember me” thing is. i’m going for the “large text, where the content is the focal point” kind of community, ala phorum (which i considered before deciding on bbpress) but if there are problems with any users i definitely want to fix em. mac w/firefox is a small market share, i know, but those are the on-the-fly-fixes.

anyway, i appreciate any and all input.

thanks again, _ck_, you lead a community of great developers.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Windows has a “large font” mode under the advanced display settings which turns everything into 120dpi instead of 96dpi, it makes some fonts larger. I would guess that at least 25% of the people out there use it because at high resolution the fonts are too small on most monitors.

Something is wrong though with the number of queries used on your pages, I am worried a plugin is malfunctioning under 1.0 – can you tell me what plugins you are using? Queries are how bbPress gets data from the database. Each kind of info needs a query, a user, a forum, a topic, etc. A clean install of 1.0 with some forums/topics uses probably 15-20 queries for the front page, yours is using 35 which seems excessive.

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

also, how can i sort the hot tags in popularity as opposed to the default alphabetical order?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Part of how the visual impact of a hot tag list works requires it to be jumbled a bit, which is why alphabetical works. If you do it decending, it looks weird. I don’t think there is a built in way to do it in order, a replacement routine would have to be written.

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

i saw a site that did it well. it looked like a typographical effect that faded out, and i want to borrow from that, but i don’t necessarily want to edit core files because of the updates… but i may deal with the more difficult updates if i can replicate that effect. which function tells the hot tags to be alphabetical?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Now that I think about it, there is a sort routine specifically for the tags that you could intercept via a plugin. I’ll take a look.

Be sure to tell me what other plugins you are using as I am concerned about the (lack of) performance on your install.

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

these are the plugins i have activated:

Akismet

bbPress Moderation Suite

bbPress Polls

bbSocialize (since deactivated)

Check For Updates

Google Analitycs

Human Test for bbPress

Instant Password

New User Notification Email

PollDaddy for bbPress

Read-Only Forums

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Ah here it is, ‘sort_tag_heat_map’

So this is a rough guess, untested:

<?php
    // sort hot tag heat maps by descending tag count
    remove_filter('sort_tag_heat_map', 'bb_sort_tag_heat_map');
    add_filter('sort_tag_heat_map', 'my_sort_tag_heat_map');
    function my_sort_tag_heat_map( &$tag_counts ) {
    arsort($tag_counts, SORT_NUMERIC);
    }
    ?>

try stuffing that into functions.php and put it into your template folder.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Try deactivating bbPress Moderation Suite for a minute, I want to see if it reduces the load at all. You can see the queries count yourself if you do a “view source” in your browser and scroll to the very bottom where it says:

This page generated in 0.53 seconds, using 34 queries.

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

Ii deactivated the mod suite and i got:

This page generated in 1.09 seconds, using 28 queries.

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

i will test the functions.php tomorrow, thanks so much, _ck_.

as far as the amount of queries go, i appreciate all help.

thanks again

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Interesting. Well since you are on a shared server, the mysql performance can be very uneven. A better host will cut the page time in half.

I’m still getting This page generated in 0.40 seconds, using 26 queries. so one of my plugins might be causing the remaining extra queries. I suspect it’s Read Only Forums because the others should not be activating on the front page.

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

i actually haven’t been able to get the read only forums to work either, and i’ve accounted for arrays starting at 0. do you have any recommendations on hosts? i’m sure i’ll be on a shared solution for a while, but i was thinking hostgator, but i’m open to all suggestions.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Read Only Forums has not been tested or fixed to work on bbPress 1.0 which is why you are probably having problems. If any of my plugins work on 1.0 it’s mostly luck at this point.

As far as hosting, I wrote this little bit last year:

http://ckon.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/some-tech-tips-to-find-a-better-wordpress-or-bbpress-host/

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

thanks, _ck_, you are the man.

as far as font size, as per our earlier conversation, what would you recommend?

thanks again, i appreciate your help :)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

This is what it looks like in Firefox. I don’t have the problem in IE.

I think the login button is too large and doesn’t scale maybe

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4106/food1r.png

foodadelphia

@foodadelphia

ahh, shite, ok. how is it now? damn it looked ok on mf gf’s pc with vista through ie 6, 8, ff 3 and chrome.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar