Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

First post of topics disappeared!

• Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

The first post of our topics have gone missing!

The topics still exist, and any subsequent replies seem to be there.

Please help! This just started happening.

Thank you.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

it could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I have tried disabling all plugins except bbpress, and switching to a default WordPress theme. Unfortunately, even in this state, the messages are still not appearing.

What is my next move?

Robin W

@robin-w

so how long have the forums been active, and when did this start happening?

Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

The forums have been active for 5 years, and it just seems to have started happening yesterday.

One of the users who is very active contacted us about it on 9/11/23, and since she is basically posting daily I think she would have noticed it as soon as it happened.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so something changed to create this, no idea what yet.

Is the site public?

Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

The main site is public, but the forums are private, as they are associated with LearnDash courses people have purchased. So only those who own the course have access to the forums.

I can set up a temporary Admin user that can be used to look into it and troubleshoot on the live site and/or staging, if that would be helpful.

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress is free software with free support from volunteers like myself.

We’re not really here for fixing individual site problems on income earning sites.

My bet would be that it is an update of a theme or plugin causing part of bbpress to stop ‘showing lead topic’

You should start by looking at what has been updated recently.

Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

Thanks so much for your kindness in being willing to volunteer and help support plugin users! That’s awesome.

It does make sense that it would be related to a recent update…but if the problem persists when everything is disabled and I’m using a default WordPress theme, then how could something else still be affecting it?

We’re on Cloudways, with SafeUpdates configured to run on Sunday evening. Here’s what it says it just updated:

Update Date: 2023-09-10 19:18:32 UTC

Update Status: Successful

Updates Selected:

Plugins: (11)

Better-Search-Replace (1.4.2 -> 1.4.3)
    Woocommerce-Pdf-Invoices-Packing-Slips (3.6.2 -> 3.6.3)
    Pixelyoursite (9.4.4 -> 9.4.5.1)
    Really-Simple-Ssl (7.0.8 -> 7.0.9)
    Recaptcha-For-Woocommerce (2.41 -> 2.47)
    Updraftplus (1.23.9 -> 1.23.10)
    Woocommerce-Gateway-Authorize-Net-Cim (3.8.1 -> 3.9.3)
    Woocommerce-Google-Analytics-Pro (1.13.0 -> 2.0.11)
    Woocommerce-Name-Your-Price (3.5.1 -> 3.5.5)
    Woocommerce-Services (2.3.3 -> 2.3.4)
    Woocommerce-Smart-Coupons (7.1.0 -> 8.4.0)

Themes: (1)
    Divi (4.20.0 -> 4.22.1)

Robin W

@robin-w

It does make sense that it would be related to a recent update…but if the problem persists when everything is disabled and I’m using a default WordPress theme, then how could something else still be affecting it?

There is always a reason, computers don’t start doing things differently for no reason, the problem is tracking that down 🙂 🙂

If this was a bbpress issue then 1. given no update in bbpress there is no change to affect your site so no reason for it to start happening and 2. this support forum would have hundreds of topics on the subject posted in the last few days.

My test forum continues to work fine.

so if not plugin update or theme change then a setting could be affecting.

so I’d suggest you switch debug on and see if that is showing any issues

https://wpforms.com/developers/how-to-enable-debugging-in-wordpress/

after that we’re onto software higher up.

so what PHP version are you running?

kreartmedia
    Participant

@kreartmedia

Hi ! I have the exact same bug.

I did the same tests, disable plugins and change theme and it’s still not working.

The last log error I have is this : [proxy_fcgi:error [pid 14982:tid 140197144532736 [client 207.253.115.34:0 AH01071: Got error ‘SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near ” at lin…………bbp_locate_template, load_template, require(‘/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/loop-topics.php’), bbp_get_template_part, bbp_locate_template, load_template, require(‘/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/loop-single-topic.php’), bbp…’

Robin W

@robin-w

@kreartmedia – with which theme?

kreartmedia
    Participant

@kreartmedia

Swaytheme

Robin W

@robin-w

it that the whole error or is there other data at the ‘…’ parts?

kreartmedia
    Participant

@kreartmedia

I had help from cloudways to narrow down the issue. @josh-virkler, you have to disable the Redis plugin in Settings > Object Cache. Then click the button disable.

Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

Wow! You’re right. That did it! Thank you.

So was there any indication from Cloudways if this was a bug that would be fixed, or if we need to keep object cache disabled permanently?! Seems like that will be quite the performance hit to the site.

kreartmedia
    Participant

@kreartmedia

I don’t know, they just told me it’s not compatible. Maybe some research could narrow the problem down and disable just a part of it, I don’t know.

Robin W

@robin-w

please do post if you get better info, but presume this is something that cloudways has done?

kreartmedia
    Participant

@kreartmedia

I guess so. It’s a cache problem

ASR Martins
    Participant

@basiemartins

I hope Cloudways will sort this out for us.

Thanks for the info.

Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

The problem came back, and I discovered that Object Cache had re-enabled itself!

So I’ve got an open ticket at Cloudways now with a senior analyst who has cloned the site and is working on fixing it. Hopefully they’ll get it sorted out soon. I will let you know the result.

Robin W

@robin-w

That’s hopeful, and yes please keep us updated 🙂

Ariel777
    Participant

@ariel777

Just chiming in here to say that I’ve got the exact same bug.
    The forums have been working fine for a year or two.
    Suddenly, the first post (opening topic) of each new thread that is posted is no longer visible.
    And… our website is also hosted by Cloudways.
    I haven’t tried any of the solutions mentioned here yet.

Ariel777
    Participant

@ariel777

… and, yes, disabling the object cache as described above (Settings > Object Cache, then click on Disable) fixes the issue.

@josh-virkler
    : Please do post back if you get any news from Cloudways support!

ASR Martins
    Participant

@basiemartins

Hi Josh, thanks for taking it up with Cloudways. Please let us know when you have found a solution for us.
    Keep well
    Basie Martins

Josh Virkler
    Participant

@josh-virkler

Ok, so beloaw is the most recent response from Cloudways. Can anyone from bbPress possibly provide the info requested so we can properly exclude this from Redis? Thanks!

————————-
    These specific errors typically occur due to the buddy boss caching group conflicting with the Redis keys.
    It is usually essential to exclude some of the cache groups/plugins to ensure that there are no conflicts due to different ways of handling of cache key which can cause issues with transients.

If any conflicts are observed, the best way to do this is to exclude them as instructed in the guide below:-

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/understanding-ignored-groups-and-how-to-best-apply/

https://objectcache.pro/docs/ignoring-groups

This typically requires a bit of testing due to different caching statuses which can still be utilized to ensure the proper allocation of resources.

We have already implemented a documented fix that was typically applied by Buddy Boss:-
    https://github.com/buddyboss/buddyboss-platform/issues/1715

However, despite numerous methods, the issue remains. Due to the circumstance of this issue, it’s imperative to check in with the plugin team before excluding their groups further, they can typically provide proper cache groups which can ensure perfect performance as other caching groups involving BuddyBoss typically was not documented and could have a negative performance impact if excluded without proper evaluation.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar