Categories
Search
Bottom

Finding .css style file

• tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

Hi guys,

I apologize in advance, my skills are pretty minimal and I couldn’t find a solution to my problem. I just installed the forum on my site, but the pictures (avatars) for ‘last updated by’, started by’ are huge! Where do I find the.css file to edit them, and what code do I use?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – part 2

heres is a straight link to where you need to be, but reading the whole page isnt bad too

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

Thanks for the reply @robkk. Quick question though, if I use a child theme do I create a folder and copy the css file there or to the parent theme? Also once I copy it, do I add relevant code to the file itself or to the custom css editor on wordpress?

Thanks again!

Robkk

@robkk

@tonydes child theme

you put it either one i guess,

i copy most of my code into my custom css editor in my theme because it works automatically for me

but if i have to put the code into my bbpress.css in my child theme , i have to add !important alot

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

@Robkk Thanks for the response, but I moved the file to both locations, and edited the css but nothing worked. I used this code to resize the images:

#bbpress-forums div.bbp-template-notice img.avatar, #bbpress-forums p.bbp-topic-meta img.avatar {
    width: 20px !important;
    height: 20px !important;
    }

I’m pretty sure my theme does not use a conventional style sheet so I may have to edit this in the root folder?

Robkk

@robkk

give me a link to your site

so i can see if its a special code in your template making the avatars huge
    if its a .avatar css rule making all the avatars on your site big
    or if i could find something else.

Iโ€™m pretty sure my theme does not use a conventional style sheet so I may have to edit this in the root folder?

thats not a good idea , it will be lost next upgrade.

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

So the css editor works, and this code got rid of all my avatars, but I’d like to keep the one in the post itself;

.bbp-author-avatar {
    display: none;
    }

Here’s a link to the over sized pictures: http://goo.gl/wmTgBo

Thanks for taking a look at it! Much appreciated!

Robkk

@robkk

@tonydes you dont know how much im laughing, its like your forum is bombarded with a gallery of your self portrait. xD

do you want the started by and freshness authors still if they were just a smaller size??

and also the notice author image if it was a smaller size??

but first try this if you dont want any of those avatars, see if this code works.

.avatar-14 { display: none !important; }

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

@robkk haha I know, the images are absurdly huge! I tried the code but unfortunately it didn’t work ๐Ÿ™ Honestly I ‘d prefer if none of those avatars were there except for the one in the post. However, I’ll take smaller avatars any day rather than those big pictures!

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

@robkk haha I know, the images are absurdly huge! I tried the code but unfortunately it didn’t work ๐Ÿ™ Honestly I ‘d prefer if none of those avatars were there except for the one in the post. However, I’ll take smaller avatars any day rather than those big pictures!

Robkk

@robkk

@tonydes

what is your theme?? (you should link to it if you can)
    what are all your plugins??
    are you making a bbpress custom theme?? (did you copy the templates into your child theme??)

a work around for displaying some avatars, is copy the templates in the child theme, look for the specific call of an avatar and wrapping a class around it then include certain css for that class and image,css display:none; the rest and see if that works.

other than that it might be cdns , or it could be where you have to contact your theme developer.

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

@robkk, I’m using a premiumpress theme. I tried again after disabling all my plugins, but the code still didn’t work.
    I don’t have a bbpress custom theme either. I’m pretty novice at this, but does this mean that I have to edit from the style sheet?

Robkk

@robkk

first one more question , do you have custom css rules that you added already that include modifying images?

I donโ€™t have a bbpress custom theme

okay create a bbpress custom theme now, add all the templates into your child theme.

more info here https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum-part-3/

lets work on this first http://revlanka.com/forums/forum/automotive-news/local-news/

since it has the issue on the notice , started by and freshness authors

now go to loop-single-topic.php and find

<span class="bbp-topic-started-by"><?php printf( __( 'Started by: %1$s', 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_topic_author_link( array( 'size' => '14' ) ) ); ?></span>

does it say 14 ?

if you dont want the started by author image remove make it where its like this

<span class="bbp-topic-started-by"><?php printf( __( 'Started by: %1$s', 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_topic_author_link() ); ?></span>

tell me if that works

Iโ€™m pretty novice at this, but does this mean that I have to edit from the style sheet?

all of the images that have issues (started by, notice, freshness), are sized in the templates in php rather than css .

Robkk

@robkk

@tonydes i just forgot about this, do this first

pay attention to the started by image on the link to your forums in the above post.

add this for custom css ,

span.bbp-topic-started-by img {
    width:20px;
    height:20px;
    }

does that change the size??

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

@robkk

So I did what you said and added the loop-single-topic.php to a folder in my child theme labelled bbpress. I edited out that code, but unfortunately nothing changed!

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

I just tried out the code as well and it didn’t work.

Robkk

@robkk

when you edited the template , did you just remove the array( 'size' => '14' )

because when i look at http://revlanka.com/forums/forum/automotive-news/local-news/

it doesnt even show started by: Admin anymore, just remove the array code and that should remove the avatar and thats it.

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

Woops I had deleted the entire line. I fixed it, and the avatar for started by is now small! I’ll take that! Now it’s just the other two.

Robkk

@robkk

okay on loop-single-topic.php in your child theme

look for

<span class="bbp-topic-freshness-author"><?php bbp_author_link( array( 'post_id' => bbp_get_topic_last_active_id(), 'size' => 14 ) ); ?></span>

does it show 14 on your theme??, to remove it replace with this

<span class="bbp-topic-freshness-author"><?php bbp_author_link( array( 'post_id' => bbp_get_topic_last_active_id()) ); ?></span>

did it work??

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

It does show 14. I replaced it, but it didn’t change. Do I need to add any code to the CSS editor?

Robkk

@robkk

mann your bbpress is acting weird….

try

span.bbp-topic-freshness-author img {
    width:20px;
    height:20px;
    }

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

That worked! I can’t believe I’m almost there! And yes this thing is ridiculous, but man you’re a lifesaver!

Robkk

@robkk

the last is pretty hard. because i never found a template where you can edit the notices.

do you want these notices at all??

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

I wouldn’t mind getting rid of the ‘last updated by’. I’d like to keep the other two if that’s possible.

Robkk

@robkk

place this inside your child themes functions.php

add_filter( 'bbp_get_single_forum_description', 'ja_return_blank' );

add_filter( 'bbp_get_single_topic_description', 'ja_return_blank' );

function ja_return_blank() {

return '';

}

tonydes
    Participant

@tonydes

I added it and it looks like something went wrong.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘function’ (T_FUNCTION) in /home/revlanka/public_html/wp-content/themes/template_DL-child/functions.php on line 29

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar