Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Filter topic "reply" with different wording, but keep link active

• Jerry
    Participant

@jerrysc

I have read the following explanation on using filters, and have become somewhat proficient on this. http://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum-part-5/

I am having an issue, to which I believe there is probably a simple answer. I want to replace the word “Reply” with “Review This Book” in the admin links. Easy enough. But when I do that, there is no longer a link; I want to maintain the same link.

According to the tutorial I have been using (above link), I am supposed to use a function like this:

function jc_return_review( $args = array() ) {
     $args['reply_text'] = 'Review This Book';
     return $args;
    }

Then I implement the following:
    add_filter( 'bbp_get_topic_reply_link','jc_return_review' );

However, the above function causes the following error:
    “Warning: Illegal string offset ‘reply_text’ in /homepages/../../../../wp-content/plugins/bp-custom.php on line 111
    Ra href=”#new-post” class=”bbp-topic-reply-link”>Reply”

But…, when using the following function

function jc_return_review() {
    return 'Review This Book';
    }

And the same filter above, the wording gets replaced just fine, but as I mentioned at the start of this post, there is no longer a link. In other words, without my filter, REPLY is a link that takes you to the reply window. When using my filter, Review This Book is present, but there is no link associated with Review This Book.

Thanks for any help here.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Really glad that writing that part of the guide has worked for someone else – it was a real challenge to write !

Try changing the line

add_filter( 'bbp_get_topic_reply_link','jc_return_review' );

to

add_filter( 'bbp_before_get_topic_reply_link_parse_args','jc_return_review' );

This lets you change just one part of the function.

Jerry
    Participant

@jerrysc

If you saw this post before I edited it, disregard! Your solution worked. As always, thank you for your help.

Cheers…

Robin W

@robin-w

Phew!!

Great glad you’re fixed !!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar