Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Few words about bbPress from my perspective

• Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

First, for a whole week now I am collecting, testing, verifiyng snippets around the web, most from this forum, and make my own collection. To have it all on one place on localhost. Stop making it, it never ends. 🙂 bbPress is so, so, so manageable and easy to add all functions other forum software have.

Second, you won hearts of coders and developers. What about WP/bbPress beginners ?
    As you already lose your time coding make some new theme for this support forum. To make it as demo for bbPress, to make it shine and stick out.

There is a reason why WP holds so much of web, and bbPress is not in this league.
    Dont get me wrong, I read your topic about complicating things and rised support with new functions/options. I am talking about plain old CSS2/CSS3. No database queries, and you “sell” your product/code.

So, thanks and apologies if I offended someone.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

@stagger-lee

no problem in your post – and followed it right up until

I am talking about plain old CSS2/CSS3. No database queries, and you “sell” your product/code.

I didn’t understand that part – can you explain further !

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

I read somwehere (or was it for BuddyPress, but it is the same logic), that you avoid new options and functions in core to reduce support. It is OK and understandable.

I this sentence i said you can do much with only CSS and styling. To “sell” bbPress to WP beginners.
    It is very behind other forum software right now.

WordPress has its own “demo” websites, all those nice and fancy themes around web. BbPress has it not.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok thanks for that

I’m just a humble bbpress user who’s written some plugins.

I’m working on one now that adds some styling changes (the common ones asked for)

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

I am not saying all this because of me. I have now so many (tested) snippets and tweaks i can make bbPress more advanced than phpBB3 forum. I am thankfull to core guys, and I am not complaining.

Integration (affinity better to say) with WP core is so amazing it just blow minds.

I am saying this because of core coders guys. It is pitty lose hours, days, weeks and last nobody or very few people use bbPress.

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

Problems with other forum scripts are (if we forget about WP integration for a moment) like this, and i have seen it more than often.

People come to forum, relax, discussing, forget about time. But they forget about main portal too. It doesnt exist for them. I have seen many popular and crowded forums and people behind main portal lose money, time, energy to write editorials and news. Nobody is reading this, nobody “knows” about portal when they are on forum. And all try to make other forum scripts look a like something near CMS are madness, better not to go this way.

Here you have old brother WordPress, so popular in the world. You discuss in the forum, suddenly sidebar widget display new article from portal, as it says “did you forget to read news”. Just one example of many of them.

All is here, all exist to make bbPress (or BuddyPress) most popular forum script. To follow steps of WordPress.
    Smart core coders, wish exist, older brother WordPress is there to push bbPress in the front of other forum scripts.

Robkk

@robkk

@stagger-lee

I this sentence i said you can do much with only CSS and styling. To “sell” bbPress to WP beginners.

WordPress has its own “demo” websites, all those nice and fancy themes around web. BbPress has it not.

this is the featured sites section on here bbpress.org/about/examples/

and maybe this site should show any heavily designed WordPress themes integrated with bbPress in the themes section of this site?? the section isn’t really being used anymore ,but it could be a cool place to show off cool themes. i think that would have to wait for the bbpress theme tag though??

There is a reason why WP holds so much of web, and bbPress is not in this league.

well ones a cms/blogging software and the other is a forum software.

alot of people would want to create a blog over a forum , a forum requires alot more responsibility to take of and handle.

@robin-w

I’m working on one now that adds some styling changes (the common ones asked for)

if you need anybody to test it out you can email me it if you want to.

Contact

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar