Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

email notification to “noreply”

• rhodesengr
    Participant

@rhodesengr

When someone creates a post, the site sends an email to the site’s correct gmail address, the poster , and also “noreply@my-site.com” The emails to “noreply” bounce and gmail gives me repeated notifications of delivery problem because there is no such address.

I can’t figure out where these email are coming from and how to stop sending the notification to the “noreply” address. I don’t see a setting in the bbpress setting about email notifications.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress sends an email to the noreply address and bcc’s in the intended recipients.

2 solutions

1. my style pack plugin lets you amend the ‘to’ address (see email subscriptions tab), or you can do this with code, and amend it to a real address on your website.

bbp style pack

2.switch to individual emails – this plugin does that https://wordpress.org/plugins/asyncronous-bbpress-subscriptions

rhodesengr
    Participant

@rhodesengr

ok. thanks. What are “individual emails”

Also, is there a reference to how to change the code? I would like to consider that option.

I searched and found some other threads about this issue. One was from 2016. You’d think the bbpress coders would have created setting for this by now. Seems a lot of plugins have problems if you don’t have an enmail address with the website domain but it is very commone to use the built in system, your own pop, or gmail. Then the noreply@yourdomain.com is invalid. Common and forseeable.

Robin W

@robin-w

by default bbpress send one email to the noreply address and bcc’s in the subscibers, so only one email sent.

code to change

add_filter ('bbp_get_do_not_reply_address', 'rew_no_reply') ;

function rew_no_reply ($no_reply) {
    	$no_reply = abc@def.com ;
    return $no_reply ;
    }

You’d think the bbpress coders would have created setting for this by now

the bbpress coders are busy people who can code what they wish to. Not up to us to criticise free software

rhodesengr
    Participant

@rhodesengr

ok thanks. I am trying the asynchronnous one first. Not really sure what it is doing. Now it seems like no email gets sent at all. Not to noreply, not to the poster, and not to site admin. I have asked about this on that plugin support page.

Your code snippet goes in functions.php?

Robin W

@robin-w

yes

rhodesengr
    Participant

@rhodesengr

I tried your code snipet and it killed my site. I commented it back out and the site is working again. here is exactly what I put in functions.php except i changed the actual email name to “myemail”

add_filter (‘bbp_get_do_not_reply_address’, ‘rew_no_reply’) ;
    $no_reply = myemail@gmail.com ;
    return $no_reply ;
    }

rhodesengr
    Participant

@rhodesengr

I fixed it. Needed single quotes around the email address. I don’t uslly code much in php so I am not super on top of the syntax. Thanks for the code. Now it does just what I want. Only the admin email gets notified when someone posts. That is what i want for now. Thanks again.

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – glad you are fixed, and for anyone reading this later the code should be

add_filter ('bbp_get_do_not_reply_address', 'rew_no_reply') ;

$no_reply = 'abc@def.com' ;
    return $no_reply ;
    }
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar