Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Email not sent after registration – Once again…

• Dear all,

I just installed bbPress on my server last night. The installation was a piece of cake and everything seemed to work.

When I tried to register as a new user that worked as well and the user is in the database. But the e-mail was never received. I tried that with various e-mail addresses to make sure it’s not a specific domain that does not work but no e-mails where received at all.

I found this thread http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/82?replies=6 but honestly don’t quite know what to do with that Patch. Can anybody tell me what the problem could be or how to find a workaround?

The forum I installed is located at http://www.newyorkphotoblog.com/forum/

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot and all the best,

Martin Fuchs

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Martin, your webserver cannot send emails? Can you upload a file called mailer.php and put this into it: (if you don’t have command line access)

<html>
    <body>
    <?php
    mail( 'you@yourdomain.com', "subject: test", "message: test", 'From: you@yourdomain.com');
    echo "Mail should have been sent, check your inbox";
    ?>
    </body>
    </html>

Run that from your browser and check your inbox. I’ve never had it fail, so I don’t know what is displayed if the mail command fails. If you have a command line, you can just run the mail command:

php -r 'mail( 'you@yourdomain.com', "subject: test", "message: test", 'From: you@yourdomain.com');'

If you cannot send email from your server, then the patch you referred to would work, but I suspect that was for an older version (.73 maybe, since the post is so old.) You save that information to a file, call it mail.patch or something. You need a command line to patch the files, so if you don’t have that, you would need to download the files referenced in the patch, patch them locally (built in on Linux and OSX but I think you would need a 3rd party app on Windows.) To patch the files:

1. cd to the installation directory
    2. run this command:
      patch -p0 < /path/to/mail.patch

That makes the changes to the files referenced in the patch, and the user registration email will be displayed rather than being emailed.

HTH

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar