Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Diverse pages, some without notices like "no topics" ?

• boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Hi

I’m at the part of my coming website, where i need to fit bbPress layout to my needs.

It’s a dating/friending site where i use Sweet Date theme, which uses Buddypress for members and bbPress for forums.

As per default bbPress posts status’s at the top and bottom of every forum. I have some forums that only serves as main forum for sub-forums, and therefore in these i don’t want/need the notifications, that there no forums/topics in this forum.

How is this done the right way, and if, what files do i need to copy and edit to make it work ?

It would also be nice if members could comment on a post, but not create new topics.

I tried using the page.php template, but it uses different styling, so the text is another font and weight, i need the bbPress layout πŸ™‚

EDIT: Forgot that i need to be able to have right sidebar on the pages as well.

All the best
    Carsten

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

‘I have some forums that only serves as main forum for sub-forums’

Try setting them as categories rather than forums – on the edit forum page you will see the option on the right hand side

‘It would also be nice if members could comment on a post, but not create new topics.’

You can create a custom role to do this – see

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

If you are not very good at code, come back and I will try to help further

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Thanks for your reply @Robin W πŸ™‚

I got stuck at the first part, cause when trying to start a topic i noticed that the first post of the thread does not show. I can see many have this problem, but no solution for years, can this be true ?

I have the theme setup running on two domains, the one i use for testing, the funny thing is when posting on that site, the first post of the thread is shown.

I have tried resetting bbPress, but that didn’t help, any suggestions ?

Robin W

@robin-w

‘I have the theme setup running on two domains, the one i use for testing, the funny thing is when posting on that site, the first post of the thread is shown.’

This would tend to suggest that something is different or not set the same. Are both on remote servers, or is one on a local PC running wamp or mamp?

Not showing a topic is a common symptom, but with many different causes, so there is no one solution.

There are a number of things you can try.

Resetting permalinks – sometimes fixes – in your WordPress Administration Screens navigate to Settings > Permalinks, select a different permalink structure and save. Then select your preferred permalink structure and save again.

Repair Forums – Dashboard>tools>forums>repair forum and run one at a time.

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Thanks for your answer @Robin-W πŸ™‚

All is tried, i found the resetting of permalinks in another thread, have also resat the forum, the plugins are the same, and all are the newest ver incl theme and WP.

It’s a global thing, it’s all users who has the problem, i read of some where the admin could see the thread/post, but other users only the replies.

The only thing i have done with the setup that’s broken now, is that i have added, renamed and deleted some of the forums that was installed with the demo content with the site.

I also haven’t altered php or css for that area yet, so i really don’t have a clue.

Both site are on servers at servage.net.

I have checked the settings, and everything is set the same.

Robin W

@robin-w

So your test site works, but you live site doesn’t?

If there on the same servers, then it has to be a difference in either settings (database) or code.

I’d try to work out which by backing up my test site, and then restoring my live site database to it

see https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

for details if you’re not familiar.

That should let you see which is it, and you can progress from there

come back and let us know how you get on

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Thanks again for your reply @Robin-W

I have had a look at the databases, but couldn’t find a difference at that moment, but i’ll export them to csv and compare them, then i’ll find every little difference.

I don’t remember whether i have had plugins installed that i have deleted again, but i know i have bin very careful about the site and tested on my sandbox. But i know that some plugins leave settings in the database that can mess things up later.

I’ll sure get back when i find out what’s causing this, so any other can try it out when they have the same missing post problem.

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – keep looking – there must be a reason , and if not database, then next will be
    checking plugins are the same (inc version)
    wordpress is the same (inc version) and
    theme is the same (inc version).
    Then it would be either

file corruption, so re-installing all the above software.
    or server issue, check server specific files, check same php, MySQL and other software versions.

but there must be a cause !

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Hi @Robin-W

Thanks again πŸ™‚

All that is checked, all plugins are the same and same versions, both WP and theme are the same and same version.

The problem exist even on twenty something themes.

Will now make csv’s and compare them.

It sounds like some of the topics or replies are marked ‘private’, there is a known issue revolving around who can and cannot see either their own or moderators/keymasters viewing other users private topics or replies.

Check that and let us know…
    (Also screenshots or links to your site are helpful if you can add/link them)

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Thanks for your reply Stephen Edgar

Is there a global setting for that ?

It’s a problem everywhere, forum, group-froums, and with every member.

Robin W

@robin-w

if marked private, then your csv compare should pick that up !

It’s not a setting at all, this can occur from various actions, typically if a bbPress forum or BuddyPress group has it’s visibility changed from hidden to private and vise versa. Potentially any changes made to private/hidden/public forums/groups so it’s worth checking what these are set for each forum and group you are having issues with.

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Just a thought, shouldn’t resetting the forums clear all settings ?

I did that, resetting the forums, but that didn’t change a thing.

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Hmm, there are many differences, i have added members to the live site.

But when looking at bbPress settings, it seams that they are as should, what is the setting i’m looking for ?

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

Well, i found some posts in both databases, but there’s no differences in the settings, and i can’t see any differences in the forum settings as well.

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

I have now tried to un-install bbPress and reinstall, nothing happened, still can’t see the posts/topics.

Anyone got any clue to this ??

Robin W

@robin-w

there has to be a reason, and if one site works but the other doesn’t it can only be

database difference
    file difference
    corrupt file
    server difference

basically if all that’s the same it should work.

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

It has to be database, there’s some setting somewhere that controls the output, and there must be a bug somewhere, cause why are so many experiencing this ?

It’s not a theme thing, it’s in all themes.

It’s also a problem with every user incl admin.

Now i have resat, i have un-installed and reinstalled bbPress, and it’s same same.

Can you tell me exactly what records in the database that belongs to bbPress, how do i sort them out from all the othere ?

I know some tables are named bb-something, but do the post have a “tell” ?

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

There must be a bug somewhere.

Out of nowhere, i made a post and it showed up, but creating two more didn’t.

I have checked posts and forums in the database between the two site, and now between the post that did show and the ones that didn’t, no differences at all, only ID is different.

I know some tables are named bb-something, but do the post have a β€œtell” ?

This, you should not have ANY tables named bb-something, are you using the old v0.9x/1.x version of bbPress? The standalone version or are you using bbPress v2.x plugin for WordPress?

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

You’re absolutely right, there’s no tables called bb-something, i thought i saw them, but it was bp-something all of them.

I got a step further, it’s the Paid Memberships Pro plugin that does it, the weird thing is that i have the completely same setup on the other site, all plugins are same version, has bin updated at the same point, all settings are the same.

There’s something with the PMPro plugin, i’ll try figure it out, and then see where it takes me, what it is.

Robin W

@robin-w

persistence will pay off – bet it’s something really simple πŸ™‚

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

I can’t say that it was something really simple, cause looking around the database and settings in the Dashboard for a couple of hours without finding anything that was related to the problem, i just killed of Paid Memberships Pro and reinstalled it.

Problem solved.

Did i find the cause ? – No, i don’t know whether there’s a bug or something else messed it up.

So is this thread of any help ? – Don’t know, maybe, you just know to kick PMPro out and reinstall it, then it all works again.

Should you however know what the problem was or could be, then post it, cause there are so many people out there having this problem in one form or the other.

And that leads me to think that there’s something not coded as it should, i don’t know whether it’s bbPress or all the plugins that is the main issue, but if it’s all the others, then there must be a lack of information from the developers of bbPress – how else can so many plugin developer get this wrong ??

Most of the time, when reading the threads about this, it comes down to restricting access to the forums, it’s the source of the problem, and in my opinion it should be possible out-of-the-box.

If the problem re-occurres, i’ll get back πŸ™‚

boblebad
    Participant

@boblebad

The culprit is found πŸ™‚

It’s PMPro search settings under Memberships/Advanced Settings that has a bug, here’s the thread where it’s explained:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/bbpress-topics-is-hidden?replies=12#post-5636096

“the bug here is probably one that we’ve discovered in our “search filter”. The quick fix is to set the search filter to “No” on the advanced settings page (which is probably what happened when you reinstalled).

You can also change the “show excerpts” setting to “Yes” and it will show your topics again.”

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – I am really pleased that you persisted and got to a cause, and hopefully shortly a permanent fix.

And thanks for posting back the answer here πŸ™‚

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar