Bottom

Default Forum Index – How to edit?

• gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Hello,

Obviously everyone knows what the default Forum index page looks like
    default forum index

However I would rather be able to have the most recent topics displayed above the index like this page setup using the short codes:
    desired forum indexdesired forum index

I cant figure out how to actually change the appearance of the forums index. I have the page in the picture above up and running, however when someone clicks on the breadcrum “forum” link, it takes them back to the default forum index, not the page i created with the recent topics listed above.

Thanks for the help 😀 Preston

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Go to Settings > Forums and change the forum root to show Topics by Freshness.

Then add this function to your child themes functions.php or into a functionality plugin.

function recent_bbpress_topics() { 
     echo do_shortcode("[bbp-forum-index]");
    }

add_action('bbp_template_after_topics_index','recent_bbpress_topics');

Plus I swear I helped you on the forum avatar being too huge issue.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

You did help me with that !

I made you an admin account. When you have time could you check to make sure I have the child themes set up correctly? It called Biker Child. Biker is the theme I DL and its a child of Jolene, but from what I understood on this blog I had to create a child of the theme i DL. I think I have it all set up properly so that I can start making the changes to the BBpress files and wont loose my edits.

Thanks, Preston

Robkk

@robkk

Alright just so you know I can’t really do Admin access type stuff anymore, I am following some guide from the WordPress.org codex about moderators not needing to gain admin access because they will be going too far, its something like that. I also got a talking to, to stop doing it by some people on this site to, I mostly helped with commercial products because I could find the issue faster if I am more hands on and find a bbPress/theme/plugin bug faster, than telling the users to just ask the theme/plugin author. Plus in this case I do not really need to have an admin account, so you can delete that account you created for me again.

From what I can see the downloaded theme is Jolene and you can just edit the Biker theme since it is already a child theme. If the Biker theme is frequently being updated (which it really shouldn’t), then I guess creating a grandchild theme like what you are doing would be the best approach.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

I understand.

So people who create child themes like “biker” generally rarely if ever update them? If they do an update, i can just ignore it?

If that is the case I will just work from the “biker” child instead. Also, my current hosting plan auto backs up the files daily, so If i did an update and it broke, i can easily roll back one day.

Robkk

@robkk

Usually child themes are rarely updated, or they are at least not as frequent as the parent themes. I think you should ask your themes support to see what would be best especially if they actually update their child themes. If they do update their child themes they will most likely tell you about creating a grandchild theme.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

I see, thanks for the advice.

I will try to see what I can accomplish with the code above and let you know 😀

Thanks

Robkk

@robkk

Also know instead of placing code in your child theme you could paste any custom CSS in the many custom css plugins or the custom CSS module in Jetpack for example, and PHP code functions into a plugin like functionality.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/functionality/

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Nice, im going to read up on those. Thanks!

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Thanks Robkk,

I added both plugins for additional continuity and they work great!

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Is it possible for me to also add a specific Category of post from my site and have it display at the top above he forums?

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Still researching on this question, any thought?

Robkk

@robkk

There might be some code snippet you can find, or a plugin like the Display Posts Shortcode plugin that might help you here.

function rkk_show_specific_cat() { 
     echo do_shortcode("[post_in_cat_shortcode]");
    }

add_action('bbp_template_after_forums_index','rkk_show_specific_cat');
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar