Categories
Search
Bottom

Create Categories and Forums Quickly?

• you4eea
    Participant

@you4eea

Hello World!

I am setting up a bbpress site that is going to have 70 categories with 26 forums
    in each category.
    Category 1
    Forum 1
    Forum 2
    Forum 3
    etc…26

is there a quick way to create these.
    Using the Add Forum links will take me forever..

Any suggestions would be great?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Not really, the only way I can think of is exporting a file after you have created them manually so if you want to use it on another site without retyping the whole thing over again.

In my opinion 70 categories is way to much anyway.

you4eea
    Participant

@you4eea

robkk

I’m with you… it is too many, and most of them probably wont be used, but that is what the client wants.

Question, I was thinking maybe to export just the bbpress tables and add them manually, structure/categories and forums, using a text editor (sublime is what I use) and then re-import them into the database..

The problem I’m having is that I have not found a way to just export the bbpress tables..
    When looking at my wp_database to find the bbpress entries they are seriously integrated with wp tables.. If that makes sense..

Robkk

@robkk

Okay well there might be a way to bulk create bbPress posts, there are already a bunch of WordPress plugins that do this for blog posts. I will test to see if I can find one that works with custom taxonomies and custom post types.

I don’t think you have to go through that trouble, it would be way easier if bbPress has its own tables but it doesn’t, the posts are in wp_posts and post meta in wp_postmeta.

Stored Database Data

Robkk

@robkk

The BulkPress plugin can create Forums and is able to set and create nonexistent parent posts automatically. All you have to do is set each parent forum to a category though.

you4eea
    Participant

@you4eea

I don’t think you have to go through that trouble, it would be way easier if bbPress has its own tables but it doesn’t, the posts are in wp_posts and post meta in wp_postmeta.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks, I will give it a go and let you know…

you4eea
    Participant

@you4eea

Awesome, that works.. I am half way there..

Big Question
    It appears bulk edit only provides status changes –> http://prntscr.com/80v9fk

Any idea when the other file attributes –> http://prntscr.com/80va16
    will be added?
    OR
    Are there any plugins to enable File Attributes in bulk edit?
    I have looked but no joy. Hoping you know of something off the top of your head.

This would get me the rest of the way…

PinkishHue
    Participant

@pinkishhue

Another suggestion to try – check out CSV importer plugins, you *should* be able to create a simple spreadsheet with all the fields you need (taxonomies, parent posts etc), save as CSV and import.

(If all works as it should! Certainly works with posts/pages etc so should work with bbpress forums/categories etc)

Robkk

@robkk

Can’t really find anything to change the selected forums to categories. This might be the only thing you have to do though.

you4eea
    Participant

@you4eea

PinkishHue thanks!

It would work, but I don’t know the exact names for bbpress
    i.e. below is for post (https://wordpress.org/plugins/csv-importer/other_notes/).
    csv_post_title – title of the post
    csv_post_post – body of the post
    csv_post_type – post, page or a custom post type

Do you know what they would be for bbpress? or where I can find them.
    This would be the way to go, I need add descriptions so that would save me a lot of time.

PinkishHue
    Participant

@pinkishhue

This is an old topic but just to update on you4eea’s question above – I would use the CSV importer/exporter to do an export of all posts/forums/topics etc. (make sure you have some forums created with all the fields you need) then open up the exported csv file and take a look. If all is working correctly you should be able to see there what the names of the fields would be and use this to create your new csv file for importing.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar