Skip to:

Converting from punBB?

• Ottens

Is there any simple way yet to convert an existing punBB forum (I’m running version 1.2.16) into bbPress yet? I tried the bbConverter plugin which says their punBB converter is “not complete”. I tried it anyway, but it simply didn’t do anything.

Also found this topic:

But I don’t know how to “run” the script. If it would work at all, it’s five years old.

Your advice?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• knsheely

There is a converter that now comes packaged with bbPress. You can run the converter by visiting Tools->Forums. There is no punBB converter included, but you can modify the Example.php converter based on punBB’s database structure. The converters are located in includes/admin/converter. The converter basically is a way to specify how the fields need to be mapped.

Unfortunately the Example.php seems to be missing a few key fields, so it would be good to look at the bbPress1.php converter for an idea of all of the necessary fields (ie. the topic post_content field has no field mapped to it in Example.php).

Thanks for your reply, knsheely. Problem is, I don’t know what changes I’d have to make to the example file to make it work with punBB. (If I did, I’d have done that, of course.)

I’m actually half way through making an importer for PunBB.

I’ll post a link to it here in the next few days, I have forums and topics importing fine but getting the SQL right for the replies has been killing me.

All the details for the PunBB Importer are in the following thread:

I guess this is where I need to be… the PunBB misfits…

I am pleased to be here. I am the owner of about 16 WP web sites, that support three different businesses. One of the businesses is a network for singers, that I am preparing to refurbish into a proper membership / paid access service. Here is the link:

In this large network for singers, there currently is a very successful message board / forum that is hosted with PunBB. Here is the link:

This is my hottest asset and the first to become monetized. I have learned that PunBB migrates successfully to bbpress. Can you please confirm this is still the case?

If, can you help me with the following questions:

– What are the best links or information I can pass onto my WP consultant to make this migration from PunBB to bbpress successful? Any additional tips or things to look out for?

– What plug-ins would you then recommend to make the the forum and other pieces of content on my network paid access? I was considering S2Membership… is that recommended or do you have other solutions?

– My other option is to possibly migrate everything over to the new cool, platform. The affiliate program, one point of registration, alleged claim to be less IT hassles, and other features seem very appealing! Do you bbpress experts agree that a migration to is a good idea? Any concerns or things to know before doing so?

– Is there a difference between migrating my PunBB forum to bbpress if I use it in an existing WP site or if I were to continue my migration to (FYI… the rain maker guys advised that I move PunBB to bbpress).

– Does anyone here at bbpress specialize or have experience in this migration from PunBB to bbpress and if so, what would your fee be?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar