Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Continuing Topic Icons

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Kevin Ryman
    Participant

@kevinryman

Funny thing! I was about to email you about this! Like Gerik said, this would be very useful! Anyone up for the job? :)

paulhawke

@paulhawke

Take a look at another “topic icons” plugin – this time, one I wrote – https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/bb-topic-icons/.

It is written to allow you to upload new image sets – new “skins” – and detects them automatically, making them available in its admin area. The code was written to be modular and allow another plugin to supply new “rules” to determine which icons go where, and I’d be happy to work with you on a small extension plugin that implements your rule-set, so that you get the icons you want.

How do you want icons on your bbPress install to behave?

gerikg

@gerikg

Thanks PaulHawke, I actually downloaded your plugin as well.

I was thinking more Forum Icons versus Topic Icons. Where you can upload your own picture to put as a forum icon.

gerikg

@gerikg

Is that possible?

gerikg

@gerikg

@paulhawke is it possible? can you email me?

PM would be real nice on this site.

Alex Luft
    Participant

@alexluft16

That it definitely would.

I need a back-end to this asap. Badly. And for some reason, the code rules don’t work for me.

I actually asked Zaerl to maybe do his coding magic and rewrite the forum/topic icons plugin here:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/zaerl-visibility/#post-5776

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I can do it easily but this is not one of my plugin and I don’t want to do a mere modification. It’s not funny.

paulhawke said he can take on the project but not at the moment he is busy with other projects right now.

@zaerl does that mean you’re creating one or not bothering?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

This means that it’s not funny to patch work of other people. I can do this if I get some donations.

Alex Luft
    Participant

@alexluft16

@zaerl Wait, which plugin are you referring to?

If you mean this one – https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/topic-icons/ – it hasn’t been updated for almost two years – so a modification/update would be nice either way :)

But if you’re referring to the plugin on this page, then it’s still a needed thing, and creating a mod/update would be welcomed. I’m sure @paulhawke wouldn’t mind… would he?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I was talking of the _ck_ one.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Personally,

I’d leave this one to Paul when he has time.

We have so few people contributing as is, that it seems a bit daft to start hacking each others work. It’s not that I think Paul would mind, its just that we have limited resources as is to start ‘fixing’ front end output.

And on the whole if a plugin hasn’t been updated in 2 years then the chances of “updating” it are slim. It’ll probably need a major rewrite, and if there’s been no market/demand for it for 2 years, its probably not worth it sadly. There has been a huge number of changes between bbPress0.8 >>> bbPress0.9 >>> bbPress 1.0.2; and um… _ck_ had a particular way of coding (it is obviously really effective as her work is brilliant, but it’s a bit of a nightmare to edit and refactor for 1.0.2)

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

_ck_ topic-icons is very simple and porting it to 1.0.2 is easy. At least if you don’t mind to have it backward compatible.

Alex Luft
    Participant

@alexluft16

@kevinjohngallagher I don’t mean to sound rude – apologies of I do – but I don’t understand your mindset…

Just because no one has come out and asked for this plugin to be updated automatically translates to there being no demand for it? This board isn’t that frequently used as it is – so how can you assume that just b/c people haven’t taken the effort to register, post, and ask for the plugin – that there isn’t demand?

And this is all while every other forum package out there includes a functioning feature provided by this plugin – with a proper back-end interface… (and please don’t tell me to go and use one of those “other” packages – I’m here for a reason).

The point is, there is work to be done. With our “limited resources,” it’s obvious that we can’t make huge changes to bbPress itself – so why not allow and encourage those who are capable and willing to go ahead and rewrite/update plugins that haven’t been touched in over two years? It’s not like we’ll be making huge strides in bbPress core with those “limited resources.”

Like I said, I don’t mean to be rude, I just simply don’t understand your frame of mind here.

– Alex

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Alex Luft and kevinjohngallagher please take your discussion off the forum. Thanks

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I should have phrased that differently. The discussion is fine but I think it should be outside this specific topic. It seemed a little personal between two people, which is why I first suggested to take it off list, but you can of course take it wherever you want. I would just like to keep to the “one topic per thread” convention.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

No worries Chris (or Alex),

I wasn’t really getting into a discussion :)

(and sorry Alex dude, i hadn’t seen your reply)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

kevinjohngallagher – alex and I have been discussing on Twitter. My only concern was that the important discussion should not be part of this topic. It’s liable to get overlooked, and doesn’t help this specific situation. That was it.

@all, paulhawke did a great job with topic icons. If he has time it would be nice if he can do forum icon as well. I’ll try to keep in touch with him about it.

@zaerl you’re doing a great job with the plugins. Sorry I wasn’t able to run it fully to get you the bugs. Is the email you sent me the same as your paypal?

@kevinjohngallagher I agree on starting fresh, I will try to contribute and help as much as possible to ease the stress of the coders that are helping on this site/program.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

@gerikg no it’s bjogio AT libero.it

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Thanks for the donation. I think that I will fork that plugin but it will functions only on 1.0.2 or superior (I guess.)

I took a look at the original plugin – if I read the code correctly it let you specify a series of keywords that get associated to a given icon, and if those keywords are seen in the name of a given forum then it (the forum) gains that icon?

I am inclined to create an admin interface for that functionality rather than having you edit the plugin itself.

If keyword matching against the topic/forum name is the way you want to go, then I will happily code something into my topic-icons plugin. This will come in three parts:

1. a new “plugin” bundled with my topic icons one that adds a new admin interface for associating keyword lists to icon names
    2. A new rule-processor for my topic-icons plugin that reads these keyword-to-icon names rules and applies them
    3. a new icon-set (skin) that gives you access to the old icons that _ck_ used before.

I believe that I can replicate (and improve upon, given that it had no admin interface) what the original plugin offered.

abdo.nahas
    Participant

@abdonahas

hi paul;

I had a problem on this plugin. the biggest problem is I get some codes at the top of the page. and this chance all the view. how I can solve it…

the codes starting with

getAllStatuses(); $renderer = get_active_status………

and ending with

DefaultStatusInterpreter(BUSY_THRESHOLD)); topic_icons_register_status_renderer(‘default’, new DefaultStatusRenderer()); } topic_icons_init(); ?>

how I solve it….

can you help me…

Kevissell75

@kevissell75

E-commerce has dramatically changed the life of people in a way unthought of. They have changed the very meaning of companies. The constraints of time, area and logistics have gone out such as a whiff from the business world. At the click of mouse business can be executed with utter precision. Over the internet shopping is one of the presents of e-commerce. In this 1 can browse for any shopping website, order for the items on the site pay through credit card and have the product delivered and all of this sitting in front of a pc.

Kevissell75

@kevissell75

A few of the commonest, common stores of today are likely to have a site for shopping, too. Restaurants are also on the over the internet shopping bandwagon, providing customers the choice of buying gifts cards and present certificates from the firm website. Home shopping is an additional growing area for shopping via a house shopping company’s website.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar