Categories
Search
Bottom

Complicated membership solution

• benjaminsaarde
    Participant

@benjaminsaarde

Hey,
    I’m making kind of a social media with bb-press.
    I want people to be able to comment and post in forums, only if they are logged in. I want two different kind of memberships: I want membership1 to be able only to comment, and membership2 to be able only to post. However I want people to be able to comment there own post. What should I do?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

sorry can you confirm that

post = create topics
    comment = create replies

If so then use my private groups plugin

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

and enable group topic permissions

then you can set up membership 2 to be able to create/edit topics and replies and membership 1 only to be create/edit replies

that’s as close as I can get you without specific coding to stop membership 2 being able to reply on other topics.

That is doable but beyond free help !

Chad R. Schulz
    Participant

@chadschulz

I understand why you might want only certain users creating topics.
    But, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want those who can create topics from also being able to create replies.

This would seem more functional long term:
    membership1 = create topics + create replies
    membership2 = create replies only

And like Robin W indicated a simple membership/role plugin could easily set this up. However, limiting those who can create topics to be able to only reply to their own topics would require some custom coding.

I’ve done similar customization, it just takes lots of work as a number of bbPress functions/templates would be affected in both the creating and editing of topics/replies.

And keep in mind all customized functions would need to be periodically updated as security issues arise and other often connected bbPress functionality is updated, as well. This wouldn’t be a set-up once and forget it modification.

Good luck,
    Chad

benjaminsaarde
    Participant

@benjaminsaarde

Thank you very much for your answers. Because of what you told me and further research, I have chosen to let everybody comment and post on everything.
    Maybe one of you can answer me on this:
    I need a way for people to sign up with Facebook and Google. I want people to be able to choose between two different kind of free memberships, when they sign up. I want this, because I want the plugin “rating widget” to be enabled to only one of the memberships.
    What should I do?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar