Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Comments are going out of order in new release

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I submit my reply at the bottom. My replies are then displayed around the middle and the whole time line is out of whack.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The timestamps of your posts appear in chronological order, that I can see.

The timestamps of your posts appear in chronological order, that I can see.

Nope, this is the order

December 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM #1370
    December 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM #1371
    December 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM #1368

It is another case of this Edit topic reply, changes post order.

@inetbizo
    Any chance this happened after you edited that reply?

For now I have added links to this topic in #2397, it is not specifically the same bug though it is closely related.

@netweb no I went to the bottom and made a reply and the reply started showing up in the middle of the thread when it should be the last post to that topic.

Andy
    Participant

@andyba45

Same problem here…

http://www.doubleoptinfordownload.com/forums/topic/cant-change-the-backgroud-color/#post-940

If you look at the last 4 or 5 posts on the page, they are a bit out of whack time wise.

Thanks!

@inetbizo
    & @andyba45 Cool, as in sorry this is happening but it is at least consistent behaviour with the other reports we have had.

The hard part is that we can’t reproduce the error in any of our setups so we will dig a little deeper and try to reproduce the error so we can fix it.

Cheers,

Stephen

If I go to the bottom of my post, I’m still getting replies out of chronological order. We go right to the bottom of https://www.hosting-4-oscommerce.com/forums/topic/managing-offsite-content/#post-1370 and make a reply. It ends up somewhere in the middle.

artkahlich
    Participant

@artkahlich

Here is my setup info:
    Wordpress: 3.8
    bbPress: 2.5.2
    OS is Linux, Fedora 11
    PHP is 5.2.13
    Apache is 2.2.15

Theme is a copy of TwentyFourteen with light modifications to margins, colors, fonts and font sizes only. No php mods at all.
    bbPress Plugins are “bbPress Admin Bar”, “bbPress Notify (no spam)”, “Global Hide/Remove Admin Bar Plugin”
    Wordpress plugins are “bbPress”, “Bad Behavior”, “Akismet” and “Mailchimp”.

I get the same ordering issues with only some of the Topic threads.

I also have a particular thread where a reply to a reply does not show any thread indentation and ends up after all comments on the topic, just as if it had been a reply to topic.

Finally, at least in the TwentyFourteen theme I have some complaints:

1. The legend of bbp-form gives no indication of the difference between a reply to topic versus a reply to a reply. I have to look at the URL displayed by the browser to tell the difference.

2. When I go to the link of a post given by the RSS feed, it displays starting below the post’s toolbar. Now I know there is a toolbar above the post and can scroll up to click the REPLY link, then go reply. BUT – I really, really don’t want to have to educate every one of my moderators and users about this. From some Google searching about this, it seems that having the post’s reply link above the post is a more recent feature. I don’t think it is very intuitive, especially when a post link ending in “…/#post-416” gets me to post 416 with the toolbar for that post invisible until you scroll up to see it (if you knew to do that).

3. Some of my moderators have pointed out to me examples of the “Freshness” column in the Forum index pages being just plain wrong. To be more specific, the “Freshness” entries in question say a particular category is several days old (even after an F5 browser refresh), when by going down to a topic in that category you can see that it should have been 30 minutes old.

artkahlich
    Participant

@artkahlich

Also, I checked the Settings->Forums “Reply Threading” box, and set the “Enable threaded (nested) replies 5 levels deep”.

1. The legend of bbp-form gives no indication of the difference between a reply to topic versus a reply to a reply. I have to look at the URL displayed by the browser to tell the difference.

Will take care of this in the ticket you created 🙂
    https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2509#comment:5

2. When I go to the link of a post given by the RSS feed, it displays starting below the post’s toolbar. Now I know there is a toolbar above the post and can scroll up to click the REPLY link, then go reply. BUT – I really, really don’t want to have to educate every one of my moderators and users about this. From some Google searching about this, it seems that having the post’s reply link above the post is a more recent feature. I don’t think it is very intuitive, especially when a post link ending in “…/#post-416″ gets me to post 416 with the toolbar for that post invisible until you scroll up to see it (if you knew to do that).

I get where you are coming from on this and this is pretty hard to implement in bbPress as we don’t know what toolbars, headers etc your theme uses and there are soooo many.

I’m far from a CSS guru but is there some CSS trick that will allow some margin padding to fix this?

3. Some of my moderators have pointed out to me examples of the “Freshness” column in the Forum index pages being just plain wrong. To be more specific, the “Freshness” entries in question say a particular category is several days old (even after an F5 browser refresh), when by going down to a topic in that category you can see that it should have been 30 minutes old.

This does happen from time to time, hopefully with the patch in #1925 this will also be resolved. https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1925

I get the same ordering issues with only some of the Topic threads.

Is there/ Have you seen anything that determines if the issue occurs?

Are the topics that work as expected before Threaded Replies were enabled for example?

I also have a particular thread where a reply to a reply does not show any thread indentation and ends up after all comments on the topic, just as if it had been a reply to topic.

Probably need to take a closer look at that entire topics topic, replies and replies to looking at the post id’s and relevant data.

The ‘Threaded Replies’ issues I am tracking in ticket #2397 if you come across anything that may help diagnose these issues further that would be great.
    https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2397

artkahlich
    Participant

@artkahlich

Last night I took a look at and managed to correct the 2 topic threads where threading was not working. In these 2 threads, I went into the administrator dashboard, then to “All Replies”. I looked at each reply to the thread in the edit screen. What I found were 2 different symptoms causing the failures.

In one case, a reply (say #306) that was being replied to did not have a permalink ending in “/reply/306/” – instead it had a permalink the same as the topic. When I updated the permalink to end with the reply number, went back to the thread and refreshed the browser, threading indents were working.

In the other case, a reply (say #396) had the correct permalink, but in the “Reply Attributes” its “Reply To” attribute was also 396 – it somehow was a reply to itself. When I corrected that, went back to the thread and refreshed the browser, threading indents were working.

There were also some places where it was obvious that moderators and contributors were doing replies to each other’s replies with no threading, but here the permalinks were correct and the “Reply To” attribute was 0, so I am going to say for now that they did not use the REPLY link on the comment they were replying to, but did a reply to topic instead.

JosiahW
    Participant

@josiahw

I am having the same issue all over my forums. We are using the latest versions of bbpress and BuddyPress.
    bbPress 2.5.3
    Buddypress 2.0.1

community.permaethos.com

This is now fixed and resolved in bbPress 2.5.4, download the update and run the bbPress Repair Tool “Recalculate the reply position of replies” and that should fix the issue.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar