Categories
Search
Bottom

Edit topic reply, changes post order

• eduardosilva
    Participant

@eduardosilva

Greetings,

I noticed that when someone (normally the admin), edits a post, the post goes to the wrong position on the topic:

Example:
    TOPIC A
    – Post 1
    – Post 2
    – Post 3
    – Post 4

If I edit the Post 2, next time I open the topic the order will be:
    TOPIC A
    – Post 1
    – Post 3
    – Post 4
    – Post 2

Is this a feature or a bug?
    If it’s a feature, is there any way to disable it?

Thanks!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

It shouldn’t do – just tested with bbPress 2.4.1 and editing by admin in either the dashboard or in the options when viewing the post doesn’t change it’s “published” date, which is what the forum uses as it’s display order.

Have you got any plugins or changes you’ve made that could affect this.

And.. has this just started happening and what version of bbPress are you on?

eduardosilva
    Participant

@eduardosilva

Hello,

When I was using 1.1 alpha, this problem wasn’t happening.

After importing the old forum to 2.x, I did noticed this issue.
    Yesterday I also upgraded bbpress to latest version 2.5

The addons that I have enabled are:
    – BBPress Close Old Posts
    – bbpress Simple Advert Units
    – Captcha
    – Custom Meta Widget
    – Google Analytics for WordPress

Template: Lobster (bootstrap 3)
    – switched templates and issue stills there

Also new replies are inserted before the edits:

TOPIC A
    – Post 1
    – Post 3
    – Post 4
    – Post 5
    – Post 6
    – Post 2

Thank you

Also new replies are inserted before the edits:

TOPIC A
    – Post 1
    – Post 3
    – Post 4
    – Post 5
    – Post 6
    – Post 2

In this case was/is ‘Topic A’ a newly created topic in bbPress 2.5 or a migrated topic from v1.x?

Also can you run the repair tools following the instructions here:
    https://codex.bbpress.org/repair-forums/

Does this fix the order?

If the order was fixed and a reply is edited what happens?

One more thing, can you try the above with all your other plugins disabled to make sure it is not one of them causing a conflict.

eduardosilva
    Participant

@eduardosilva

Hello Stephen,

Following your recommendations, I disabled all the plugins (except for bbpress) and runned all the repair tools. No change.

afaik, this happens, on all posts that are edited by any reason.
    One post was created yesterday, edited and have the same issue. Even the answers that I posted today appears before yesterdays edit.

I migrated from bbpress 1.x around 2 months ago.

You can see one example at: http://endian.eth0.com.br/forums/topic/novato/
    (also changed the template to twentythirteen now)

Thank you!

Thanks, I have grabbed a copy of the source and your right, something isn’t right here.

I have seen one other report of strange ordering or replies so this might help us narrow things down to the cause of the issue.

I’ll take a closer look tomorrow as its ~9pm here local time and I will update this then.

eduardosilva
    Participant

@eduardosilva

Glad to hear that I’m not alone, I was a bit worried already!

Thank you 🙂

mistercyril
    Participant

@mistercyril

@eduardosilva you are not alone… same problem here.

I can’t seem to reproduce this issue, I can clearly see it @eduardosilva forum thread linked to above.

Here is the basic layout of the CSS classes of @eduardosilva topic linked above

1. post-18012 topic type-topic status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-4 bbp-parent-topic-18012 bbp-reply-position-1 user-id-6181 topic-author
    2. post-18014 reply type-reply status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-4 bbp-parent-topic-18012 bbp-reply-position-2 user-id-2
    3. post-18031 reply type-reply status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-4 bbp-parent-topic-18012 bbp-reply-position-5 user-id-6181 topic-author
    4. post-18037 reply type-reply status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-4 bbp-parent-topic-18012 bbp-reply-position-7 user-id-6181 topic-author
    5. post-18046 reply type-reply status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-4 bbp-parent-topic-18012 bbp-reply-position-8 user-id-2
    6. post-18029 reply type-reply status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-4 bbp-parent-topic-18012 bbp-reply-position-3 user-id-6181 topic-author
    7. post-18033 reply type-reply status-publish hentry even bbp-parent-forum-4 bbp-parent-topic-18012 bbp-reply-position-6 user-id-2
    8. The order currently being shown using bbp-reply-position- is 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 3, 6 and it should be 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Every post has a class of even when every second post should be odd based on the source code here, this is also something I cannot reproduce. This is also a sitewide issue on all the topics on @eduardosilva forums.

Anyone else with this issue can you confirm it is also ONLY after a reply has been edited?

Also do you have odd & even in the CSS classes or all they all even?

eduardosilva
    Participant

@eduardosilva

Hello Stephen, thanks for your feedback

So far, I just noticed this issue after edits.
    Do you mean if I have the odd and even classes on the bbpress.css?

#bbpress-forums div.even,
    #bbpress-forums ul.even {
    background-color: #fff;
    }

#bbpress-forums div.odd,
    #bbpress-forums ul.odd {
    background-color: #fbfbfb;
    }

I found this on the css, but I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for.
    I didn’t changed any template or php file.

Thank you! 🙂

Do you mean if I have the odd and even classes on the bbpress.css?

No, in the code I posted above the 2nd last class on the 1st line of each entry has even, every second one of these should be ‘odd’ and I am trying to see if there is any correlation betwen these two issues.

mistercyril
    Participant

@mistercyril

Hello Stephen,

I can confirm that I have the .even class on every single entry in my forum.

Furthermore, I get random display orders even when no editing is done. I’ve tried editing with “contributor”, “moderator” and “keymaster” roles but I can’t see any particular pattern, so as far as I can tell I would exclude any correlation with user roles or editing.

@mistercyril Thanks for that info 🙂

At this stage it looks like if you are having this issue of ‘Replies out of order’ (Sometimes after an edit :S) you also have the issue of all replies only having the even CSS class.

Could you check with your web host what version of PHP your site uses?
    (Either contact them directly or create your own phpinfo.php file and upload it to your host, details here how to create one http://www.phpinfofile.com/)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I wonder if _bbp_reply_to isn’t being carried over when editing a reply. Can you get the _bbp_reply_to postmeta for each of those posts, and report back with them?

For context, _bbp_reply_to is used for the threaded reply hierarchy instead of post_parent which already used for getting the parent topic ID.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I have a relatively new installation of bbPress and while the learning curve isn’t great, this particular problem is just causing me grief. If I could just somehow go into the dashboard and move these posts back into order I would do it, but I can’t seem to figure out how. Wishful thinking….

We have one topic that has gone on for 5 pages now. I know I should have limited the number of replies on topics. However, this forum is for owners with sick dogs and I didn’t want to stifle their conversations. When I move us to our permanent home, I will do this. This is a temporary place.

So in this particular situation I have this at the bottom of the replies:
    reply 1150 12/5
    reply 1016 11/27
    reply 1017 11/27
    reply 1025 11/27
    reply 1064 11/28

I have explained the difference to them about replying to the topic (use the entry field at the bottom of the page) vs reply to another reply (click on “Reply” inside the reply you want to answer. We did have some confusion early on, but for the most part they are doing everything right.

So I took a look at reply 1016 to see what was up. I noticed that one of the new moderators had apparently mistakenly made a revision to this post about 2 hours later after it was originally posted. There was really nothing revised, but it does show up in the Post Revisions history. I tried to delete this revision but I got this error:
    The AJAX request has Failed, Please try again;
    The unexpected data was: [object XMLDocument]

If one of the keymasters would like to look at this particular topic and replies you can view it here.
    http://www.cybergiants.com/GiantRescue/forums/topic/megan-sophie/#1064

I will do anything you need to figure this problem out. We just can’t have replies about a dog that is alive be sequentially after the date the dog has succumbed to the illness. If one of you needs to get inside the dashboard then so be it.
    my best
    matoca

Jeri
    Participant

@jgilao

I have exactly the same problem here. Tried deactivating all of the plugins except bbpress as well as returning back to the twentythirteen theme. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ronthai
    Participant

@ronthai

Hi,

I do have a similar issue, probably related, maybe clears things up for testing.
    I also have the .even class every where.

A new reply from a user/participant goes directly under the original first post/topic,
    even when there are already replies made, which I guess happens when using the bottom reply form, since that is there to reply to the original post.
    When the admin edits that reply it goes to the bottom.

When anybody (user or admin) uses the reply link in a post/reply the reply goes directly under the post replied to and stays there even after an admin edit.
    Issue I have with that is it is not clear it was a reply to a reply, maybe should go to the right a bit or something or change backgroundcolor or add ‘REPLY TO: at the top of the reply.

ronthai
    Participant

@ronthai

Been thinking, to solve this, remove the always open reply form at the bottom and just have a general reply button/link (as all posts now have) go to a new page for posting/reply (with or without sidebars).

That way people are forced to click the reply link and all new replies are put at the bottom, after which admin edits have no positioning problems.

Just don’t know how to do that.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I too wanted to differentiate the reply to a reply and played around with firebug last night for an hour trying to find the right CSS style. I was only able to color the background and that added a color under the reply box that extended to the left, thus adding a colored tab on the left side of the reply box. I had only wanted to color the box a slightly darker gray but could not find the attribute. I didn’t change this.

If you look carefully you will notice that reply to reply is always floated right of the previous reply and that the “Reply and Details” moves to the bottom of the reply. In a reply to a topic, these are usually at the top left.

However the issue we are having is that actual replies to the topic are moved out of the correct posting order and continue to float at the very bottom. Current and new replies to topic post above these.

If I remake these replies to topic and backdate them and then delete the original posts will that solve the problem? Or is bbPress different than WP where you can backdate posts? Of course in this case the replies in question are already dated late November so they should not be at the bottom.

ronthai
    Participant

@ronthai

Yes, you are right, they do move to the right. Guess was to busy with the numbering that I didn’t noticed that.

To change the background color of reply to reply posts add this to the bbpress.css
    .bbp-threaded-replies div { background-color: #ccc ! important; }

Color #ccc is a little dark, but just change it to what you want

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

Wow! Super information. I did find the right class with firebug couldn’t apply the attribute correctly. This works perfectly and it isn’t really too dark! I think it does need to be noticeable to users and this is just right.
    Thank you, Matoca

ronthai
    Participant

@ronthai

My guess is the problem with the post order changes, when an admin does an edit will not be solved anytime soon.
    Therefore I created my own solution and removed the “Reply” from the topic and replies, which in my case is the cause from the problem. I already had a QUOTE link in there from a plugin, so that solved the reply to reply issue anyway.

I also added a “Post New Reply” button at the top of the topic page.
    Had a “Post New Topic” button already in the Topics overview.

For now I have added links to this topic in #2397, it is not specifically the same bug though it is closely related.

Morgan Kay
    Participant

@gwendydd

I’ve been having this problem too: https://wpstagecoach.com/forums/topic/absolute-paths/

The replies are out of order on that thread, and a few others on the site. It doesn’t seem to be a result of editing replies.

Let me know if you need any more information to help solve this!

@gwendydd Thanks for the report and it is exactly the same issue.

Could you all in this thread supply the following:

• WordPress Versions eg. 3.8
    • bbPress Version eg. 2.5.2
    • Operating System eg. Linux/Windows
    • Web Server eg. Nginx, Apache, IIS
    • Theme eg. Twenty Thirteen
    • PHP Version eg. 5.3, 5.4, 5.5

There has to be something common between people having this issue where we can then recreate a test environment to actually fix this.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar