Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t view user profiles / Edit post button returns 404

• beherawr
    Participant

@beherawr

Installed bbpress through wordpress and everything is going great except for two problems.

1. Users are set to be able to edit their posts/replies, and the Edit button does show up, however when they click on Edit it simply goes to 404. Admins also cannot edit via the Edit button without 404.

2. User profiles are not showing up. Upon clicking on an avatar or manually typing in the profile url (with my username) it returns 404. (I also need to figure out how to put an ‘Edit Profile’ button somewhere, but that won’t matter if I can’t fix these other two issues)

What I’ve already done:
    -Switched to a default theme, didn’t change anything, switched back to Gameplanet theme
    -Disabled all plugins except bbpress, problem persisted
    -Changed permalink type to something else and then back again, problem persisted

I would greatly appreciate any help that could be offered as I really need this working by next week. If it’s something that involves an in-depth look I’d even be willing to pay someone to help, although I fear it’s probably a simple problem that I’m just overlooking.

Contact email – emooreofficial@gmail.com
    Forums – http://wcg.website/wp/index.php/wcg-forums

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• PinkishHue
    Participant

@pinkishhue

Hmm that’s a stinker.

What URL are you actually taken to when you get the 404 message, is the URL right? I believe it should be – ‘my-post-title/edit’

Have you tried disabling all other plugins AND using the default theme at same time? (difficult if the site is live of course)

If it’s not on a live site maybe try a fresh bbpress install? Also there are some repair tools in the settings you can try (I haven’t had experience using these but it’s worth a try)

Robkk

@robkk

1. Users are set to be able to edit their posts/replies, and the Edit button does show up, however when they click on Edit it simply goes to 404. Admins also cannot edit via the Edit button without 404.

This can happen also in some default themes like Twenty Fifteen (should work in Twenty Twelve though), but can also be easily fixed by placing the bbPress template files into a child theme.

https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/

2. User profiles are not showing up. Upon clicking on an avatar or manually typing in the profile url (with my username) it returns 404.

Do profiles show up without BuddyPress?

(I also need to figure out how to put an ‘Edit Profile’ button somewhere, but that won’t matter if I can’t fix these other two issues)

Works for bbPress profiles though, I might update it for BuddyPress later.

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

beherawr
    Participant

@beherawr

This can happen also in some default themes like Twenty Fifteen (should work in Twenty Twelve though), but can also be easily fixed by placing the bbPress template files into a child theme.

https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/

I tried copying my ‘css’ and ‘bbpress’ directories from my template files to my theme as outlined in your link, however it changed nothing.

Do profiles show up without BuddyPress?

Not quite sure what you mean…. if you mean can I see a user profile with bbpress deactivated then the answer is no.

Also, the link to the ‘Edit Profile’ button is exactly what I needed, however it currently returns to 404 because of the previous unresolved issue.

beherawr
    Participant

@beherawr

UPDATE: All issues resolved with switch to custom Permalinks. Could’ve sworn I had already tried that, but it’s working now. Thank you guys so much for trying to help.

beherawr
    Participant

@beherawr

Unfortunately now a new issue has occurred. When trying to use the reply box to reply to a forum topic, I received the following error:

Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, class ‘BBP_Admin_Replies’ does not have a method ‘update_reply’ in /home/wcgwnxxg/public_html/wp/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 496

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/wcgwnxxg/public_html/wp/wp-includes/plugin.php:496) in /home/wcgwnxxg/public_html/wp/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1196

Robkk

@robkk

@beherawr

Are you using threaded replies?? Do you have Paid Memberships Pro on your site?? Does replying work in a default theme like Twenty Twelve??

beherawr
    Participant

@beherawr

With or without threaded replies it is the same. I do not have Paid Memberships Pro. Regardless of theme the error is the same. It still publishes whatever I post but for some reason pops up that error. I have to hit ‘Back’ and then refresh the page to see what I posted.

beherawr
    Participant

@beherawr

Also just to note this error pops up for every user when they post a reply, but not when they post a topic.

Robkk

@robkk

Sorry for the late reply, I am going through some old topics to see if I missed something.

Have you tried disabling all other plugins AND using the default theme at same time? (difficult if the site is live of course)

If it’s not on a live site maybe try a fresh bbpress install? Also there are some repair tools in the settings you can try (I haven’t had experience using these but it’s worth a try)

Do this to see, and report back.

If it doesn’t work I might have to report a bug.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar