Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t reply to ANY topics, yet can still post new topics.

• iJamesPine
    Participant

@ijamespine

So as of approximately 10:30pm Sunday night the last reply was posted to my website jamiepine.com/forums. Users of my site were unable from that point on to post replies to any topic in any forum on my site.

It allows them to write their reply, then upon clicking submit, the page reloads and the reply isn’t there. I’ve spent over 13 hours trying to find something that could be causing a conflict or error that would prevent replies being created. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

– I’ve disabled ALL plugins aside from bbPress
    – I’ve disabled the my theme (switched to TwentyTwelve, TwentyThirteen and TwentyFourteen)
    – I’ve done both of the above at the same time & on their own
    – I’ve disabled Cloudflare (my CDN / cache service) [it’s still disabled]
    – I’ve updated all plugins and themes
    – I’ve typed every possible phrase relating to this problem into Google in effort to find answers
    – I’ve inspected the database to the best of my knowledge**

**I’ve noticed bbPress is creating many revisions of old replies from last year even when the site was in maintenance mode and no users were able to access. I was also receiving an email telling me I’d received a new reply to my topics (from 2014) when I wasn’t even touching the site. It’s essentially gone senile.

I’d list all my plugins, but my problem is I’ve changed nothing before 10:30PM that Sunday other than adjusting plugin settings in WP Super Cache, which is now disabled. In fact I know the pages aren’t cached because I can update anything else on these pages and create new topics; I just can’t reply.

My theme clearly isn’t the problem as it’s still broken at a core level; but it is my own child theme of Canvas.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed a plugin called bbPress AJAX replies a few hours prior to the problem, but that plugin did nothing of use anyway so I removed it straight away. I also inspected the code and didn’t find anything that would cause a lasting effect on the site, no database communications of any nature.

…But it looks to be a database issue?

This has caused me no end of headache and I’d greatly appreciate some help, I’ll provide you with any details you need / admin login to the site. I have hundreds of users waiting to use the site.

Thanks in advance,
    Jamie

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Do you have a backup saved before Sunday?? You can try restoring a backup you may have to see if it fixes the issues you are getting.

If not, I guess you can email me some login details for a subscriber/participant account so I could check the reply issue out.

Contact

iJamesPine
    Participant

@ijamespine

Unfortunately not, only just moved to a VPS server from wordpress managed, and I’d completely forgot to run backups manually. I installed a DB backup plugin yesterday now taking backups every few hours.

Emailed you! Thanks 🙂

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It reads like you’ve tried basically everything. If I were to help troubleshoot more, I’d need some level of access into your installation (like Rob has asked for.)

It’s unusual, for sure. But caching forums is hard, and it’s plausible you’ve uncovered some quick in bbPress that needs addressing, and I’m happy to help with that.

Let’s find a way to chat privately, and then report back here what we are able to figure out?

iJamesPine
    Participant

@ijamespine

@johnjamesjacoby Hey John! Thanks for your reply! Happy for that, emailed you from jjj.me 🙂

iJamesPine
    Participant

@ijamespine

@johnjamesjacoby sorry John, have you had a chance to take a little look yet?

iJamesPine
    Participant

@ijamespine

bump @johnjamesjacoby @robkk still no solution, my forums have been out of action for over a month, would be good to get this fixed 🙁

Robkk

@robkk

@ijamespine

I could barely find anything before on this weird bug, and I thought JJJ was going to take this topic over. I will try to find whats going on again, but I still think JJJ would be more knowledgeable since he is the lead dev.

I was able to create a reply in your forums from the backend fine. So at least we know it is something happening on the frontend like scripts, the reply form itself, etc.

https://jamiepine.com/forums/topic/website-bugs/#post-16142

iJamesPine
    Participant

@ijamespine

@robkk Unforuntaly I haven’t heard back from @johnjamesjacoby yet, I can imagine he’s a busy guy, and this doesn’t appear to be the simplest of bugs to fix. It obviously appears to be a front end issue, yet is still happening without any themes or plugins (other than bbPress) enabled.

I’ve been actively updating all my plugins as new versions come out. I think I’m going to make a copy of my site on my localhost and see if the problem persists there, ruling out the possibility of a server issue, will keep this thread updated. That is however, the last thing I can try to the extent of my bbPress knowledge.

Thanks for your reply!

iJamesPine
    Participant

@ijamespine

Turns out it IS a server side issue, I used duplicator to download an exact copy of the site, then deployed it on my local host MAMP server. Loaded up the site and boom, can post replies as normal…

Now arises the problem; where the hell do I start in looking for what is causing this on my server. It’s VPS server hosted at GoDaddy. I wouldn’t even know how to explain this to them. Does anyone have an ideas on what server processes are linked to posting replies from the front end that some setting, somewhere on my server is blocking?

This confirms that this is as expected, a bug fixed by flicking a single switch, out of a million switches. What a headache.

Robkk

@robkk

From what I can see on a topic on your site, your forums seem to be functioning properly now. It is extremely weird that just reuploading your sites files seem to have fixed the issue.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar