Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t get permalinks working

• I have read the other threads on this forum, tried the suggestions there, and no matter what I do I can’t seem to get permalinks working for bbPress.

At first I had wordpress configured to run in the root of my site (while physically being in /wordpress/) and thought that might be messing up bbpress, which is in a subfolder, so I disabled that feature of wordpress and configured it to run from the same folder where it is installed.

Even after doing this, I haven’t been able to get permalinks to work. I have tried both option +multiviews and the output from the rewrite php file, both without success. The error I get is “No input file specified.” I am saving the .htaccess file in the root of my forums folder. My forum is installed at http://www.u77.cc/forums/ and I am hosted with goDaddy. Permalinks are working with my wordpress and gallery2 installs.

Thanks,

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I noticed that bbpress doesn’t make use of conditions while wordpress and gallery2 do. I’m kind of frustrated so I’m just going to disable permalinks for now, but I believe that if wordpress and gallery2 work then bbpress should be able to work too. I haven’t figured out how, though; hopefully one of you can since this is a frustrating problem.

Did you follow the instructions to the letter? I know most people don’t have the correct permissions on their .htaccess file in the bbPress folder or don’t just put the 1 single line of code in for problems.

Trent

My .htaccess located in /forums/ had a permission of 644.

I didn’t delete the htaccess, just disabled permalink.. so I still have the contents of the file (I pulled it directly from bbpress rewrite php file):

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /forums/
    RewriteRule ^forum/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forums/forum.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^forum/(.+)/?$ /forums/forum.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^topic/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forums/topic.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^topic/(.+)/?$ /forums/topic.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^tags/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forums/tags.php?tag=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^tags/(.+)/?$ /forums/tags.php?tag=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^tags/?$ /forums/tags.php [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forums/profile.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/([a-z-]+)$ /forums/profile.php?id=$1&tab=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/([a-z-]+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forums/profile.php?id=$1&tab=$2&page=$3 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/?$ /forums/profile.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^view/([a-z-]+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forums/view.php?view=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^view/([a-z-]+)$ /forums/view.php?view=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/$ /forums/rss.php [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/forum/([0-9]+)$ /forums/rss.php?forum=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/topic/([0-9]+)$ /forums/rss.php?topic=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/tags/([a-z-]+)$ /forums/rss.php?tag=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/profile/([0-9]+)$ /forums/rss.php?profile=$1 [L,QSA]
    </IfModule>

I could never get it to work myself (which 2 hosts have done to me) without just having the following in the .htaccess file:

Options +MultiViews

That doesn’t work for you?

Trent

Did you ever get this to work, I am having the same issue, and GoDaddy is my host as well.

Good call Trent, Options +MultiViews placed in your .htaccess file does the trick.

I have bbpress 1.2.0 installed but without htaccess file, but when i create htaccess file with the code below in order to change the default permalink structure , i just can’t access the forums anymore (sitename.com/forums) . i get page not found message !!

Have someone already got this issue ?!! Help plz

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

First you need to make the permalink change in your admin, then you need to create the .htaccess file with rewrite rules. You need to do both for permalinks to work. If you have done that, the rules could be wrong, or maybe you just need to clear your cache or try a different browser.

when i change the permalinks structure to name based, i get this message :

“Rewriting on webservers other than Apache using mod_rewrite is currently unsupported, but we won’t stop you from trying”

what does this mean ?! :(

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

What sort of server are you running bbPress on?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

It means that the URL rewriting is possible only if you are using the Apache web server. Apache rewrite URLs using an extension called mod_rewrite. Other web servers have similar functionalities but bbPress doesn’t support them.

Server is Lunix, Apache/2.2.14 , and i’m on shared hosting.

My site is using custom permalinks structure with htaccess file rewrite-rules but bbpree has no htaccess file, i think bbpress without htaccess file (rewrite-rules) the permalinks (name based) wouldn’t work.

The problem is each time i create htaccess file and upload it to the forums folder, i just can’t see the forums anymore.

thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for my bad english.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

That’s strange.

$is_apache = ( strpos( $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'], 'Apache' ) !== false || strpos( $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'], 'LiteSpeed' ) !== false);

this is the line that check the server software. Check phpinfo() and see what you get.

phpinfo() shows numerous tables, i don’t know which to check, but the SERVER_SOFTWARE value seems empty !

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

SERVER_SOFTWARE is empty? Then your host has done something very weird. I could suggest you to manually fill that value ($_SERVER = “Apache/2.2”) but this is a ugly hack.

There is a possibility that they did something, also nowadays the server fell down too many times.

But i don’t really know how to fill the value !!! is there a way to do that ?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

on bb-config.php type:

$_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'] = "Apache/2.2";

BUT keep in mind that this is a ugly hack.

P.S. change host

I did, and i checked phpinfo(); so the value still empty :(

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Doing that change affects only your code and not the server.

I’m going to start new topic! i very appreciate your help, THX

sureshdrim
    Participant

@sureshdrim

Hello all..

In my case I am testing this plugin on localhost.Server software Value &amp; PHP version are as expected.I followed the installation steps correctly,but still couldn’t get this plugin working from a longtime.

I get following error:

Oops! This link appears to be broken.

Please help !

well. i must install bbpress1.2.0 , it is possible for me to a permanent permission?

Hmmm i had the same error when i tried to change from basic to prettylinks.

First i got an error when i tried to change the WordPress install to permalinks (friendly links)

And it told me to copy and past this code to my .htaccess file.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

</IfModule>

When i did that and chmod the file to 666 by Transmit (file upload client) everything worked fine..

But when i tried to change bbPress from basic to pretty permalinks i got also the same error the TS had.

But adding this code (line) below the code above i have no trouble anymore..

Options +MultiViews

* So i don’t know what i’m doing but i think it’s okay because it works.

Thanks..

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar