Categories
Search
Bottom

Cannot see "Forums" tab in WordPress dashboard

• Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Hi,

When I’m logged into http://simplefitnesshabit.com as a WordPress administrator, I see two tabs pertaining to bbPress: Topics and Replies. I do not see Forums.

That’s the first problem. The second problem is that if you’re logged in as a simple subscriber with basic Participant forum privileges, when you log into http://simplefitnesshabit.com/forum/ and click on a topic, you get this message:

Oh bother! No topics were found here!

Something is very wrong. We are using bbPress 2.5.2 and WordPress 3.8. I’ve tried deactivating all plugin themes, including deactivating and then reactivating bbPress. I’ve tried activating the Twenty Fourteen theme. I’ve even changed permalink settings back and forth. Nothing is working.

Is there premium, private support for bbPress by the authors, where we can safely provide WP admin access? I’m thinking that may be what it takes to troubleshoot this.

Really need to get this working. Thanks for your help…..
    Martyn Chamberlin

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Try running the repair tool ‘Remap existing users to default forum roles’
    https://codex.bbpress.org/repair-forums/

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Wow Stephen. I’m logged in as an administrator and not seeing that option. There is no “Forum” option under “Tools.”

Help!

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

I should add that when I manually paste in “/wp-admin/tools.php?page=bbp-repair” on top of SimpleFitnessHabit.com, I get this message:

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

There isn’t like a “super admin” with bbPress, is there? There are 12 administrators on this install….

Under the WordPress ‘Users’ panel does your administrator account have the bbPress ‘Keymaster’ role?

Cydrop
    Participant

@cydrop

I’m having the same problem. I’m the only administrator and keymaster of the forum. Any ideas? Thanks

Cydrop
    Participant

@cydrop

I have found a solution for me. I have installed and run the “User role editor” plugin and the forums tab is in my wordpress dashboard again.

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your help. I discovered that my administrative account did not have the Keymaster role assigned to it. I assigned this, and repaired, individually, each of the relationships in Tools > Forums.

This still does not work. When I log into the forum with an account that is a WP subscriber with Participant privileges for bbPress, I still get the “Oh bother! No topics were found here!” message. Ironically, this message appears right below a message that says, “This forum contains 36 topics and 72 replies…”

Really appreciate your help with this. Our goal is just to get this thing working, whatever we need to do…

best,
    Martyn Chamberlin

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Help! We may have to leave bbPress if we can’t get this resolved. Is there no one who can help? I’m happy to pay money. Goal is to get this thing working…

synergywp
    Participant

@synergywp

Did you end up doing the “Repair Forums” options under the Tools > Forums in the backend? Try every checkbox except the last.

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Strange SynergyWP, that’s the opposite of what Stephen suggested. But I’ve just now done all of them *except* the last one and I’m still getting the error.

Not sure what’s going on, but I guess something is “off” in our database somewhere. This was all working fine until just about a month ago, too.

Try installing the plugin I linked below and compare the roles of your users in particular ‘keymaster’ to what the defaults should be in the codex.

https://github.com/johnjamesjacoby/bbp-capabilities
    (Open a users profile from the Users section in wp-admin and scroll down)

https://codex.bbpress.org/bbpress-user-roles-and-capabilities/

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Bingo! Finally getting some traction here, Stephen. I installed that plugin, pulled up a user who was a Participant, and changed “View hidden forums” from “Default” (which was set to “Denied”) to “Allowed.”

And then boom, the Participant account could then view the forums.

Here’s the odd part though: we have 3 forums and they are all set to Private, not Hidden. So changing this setting shouldn’t have made any difference. Private forums are visible to Participants by default.

Any ideas why this might be the case?

I am now off to find a way to make a universal fix for our users so we don’t have to do this one by one…

Thank you for your help, super appreciate it.

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Wow, just now got it fixed for good.

I realized that one of two things were off: either the participants were NOT allowed to view private forums, or else the forums were NOT private. Had to be one or the other.

So on a whim, I changed each forum from Private to Public back to Private. That reset something that must’ve been off in the database somehow, and now it’s all working beautifully.

The end result is that we’ve made literally no visible changes from a GUI standpoint but everything is now working properly.

Again, thanks for your help Stephen. I would not have gotten to thinking along these lines if it had not been for that GitHub plugin.

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

One last note on this forum thread….

Email notifications never worked for me here at bbPress.org when I check-marked the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” checkbox. I have thoroughly checked my spam as well. Using an email address powered by Google Apps. Not sure if this is a bug or just me, but FYI.

The subscribe to email notifications was a bug, it is now fixed in bbPress 2.5.3

I installed that plugin, pulled up a user who was a Participant, and changed “View hidden forums” from “Default” (which was set to “Denied”) to “Allowed.”

And then boom, the Participant account could then view the forums.

Here’s the odd part though: we have 3 forums and they are all set to Private, not Hidden. So changing this setting shouldn’t have made any difference. Private forums are visible to Participants by default.

I realized that one of two things were off: either the participants were NOT allowed to view private forums, or else the forums were NOT private. Had to be one or the other.

The repair tool “Recalculate private and hidden forums” has a bug in it 🙁

When that repair tool is run private and hidden forum are assigned both _bbp_private_forums and _bbp_hidden_forums statuses so this is why a user with the Participant role could not read a private forum as after that tool had been run it was also been given the hidden status also.

The workaround for this is to do exactly what you did by “changing each forum from Private to Public back to Private” as this doesn’t touch the broken repair tool and sets the visibility status correctly.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2512

Thanks for your patience here @martyn-chamberlin and your detailed info helped a great deal finding said bug, just need to write a patch for it now. 😉

Martyn Chamberlin
    Participant

@martyn-chamberlin

Awesome Stephen. We can close this forum thread, I think. Case solved. Thanks so much for your help!

And I got the email notification for this, so that’s working too.

Helmuts
    Participant

@hmprivate

thank you @Cydrop

Huge +1 for installing plugin “User role editor”

Forums appeared immediately after activating the “User role editor” plugin (no other steps had to be taken).

H

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Cannot see "Forums" tab in WordPress dashboard’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar