Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can WordPress installation mess up my existing website?

• jborbely
    Participant

@jborbely

Hi there, I have a live web site (simple, but visited). I attempted to figure out from WordPress pages I have seen so far, what happens if I install WordPress. Can my visitors access my current site without problem, or there will be a mess first, what I can eliminate only by “configuring” WordPress and somehow transfer my current pages into it?
    I’d appreciate your replies. Many thanks in advance, Janos

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

why did you post on the bbpress support forums??

wordpress has support forums too

Support Forums

jborbely
    Participant

@jborbely

Because I pretended that bbpress users have experience with wordpress. Probably even more than someone who uses only wordpress.

Robkk

@robkk

post to wordpress support in the installation forum.

your talking about a site transfer to wordpress , and i dont know how to do that.

Robin W

@robin-w

yes wordpress will overwrite your current site.

Most host providers allow you to create subdomains, so if you have

http://www.mysite.com

your can create

test.mysite.com

I’d suggest you create a test site, and install wordpress on there, keeping your existing site as is.

Then you can create wordpress pages, and copy/paste text and upload pictures to the test site to make it look like (or better than!) your current site.

When you are happy, you can then wipe your live site, install worpress (your host provider should help you to do this if you don’t know how).

You can then export and import the pages and posts from your test site to your live site very easily using the built in exporter/importer.

pic

jborbely
    Participant

@jborbely

Thank you Robin. That was the information I was looking for. Very useful to know in advance.
    Best regards, Janos

Robin W

@robin-w

great, do come back when you’ve succeeded !

jborbely
    Participant

@jborbely

Hi Robin,

I managed to install the standard WP stuff. Btw: I posted the same question on the WP Support Forum, after the reply from Robkk, no response at all so far…
    I attempted to change my header img, as the first exercise, but it seems that the web documentation about what to modify and where has nothing to do with the directory and files structure of WP I’ve downloaded, which was the latest 3.9.2 on Saturday. I’m ok with html, but I’m a beginner with php. Is there anyone who could tell me how can I change(add) a site header img for the theme twenty twelve specifically?
    Best regards, Janos

Robkk

@robkk

I posted the same question on the WP Support Forum, after the reply from Robkk, no response at all so far…

no you have a reply

you havent responded yet though…

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/can-wordpress-installation-mess-up-my-existing-website

Is there anyone who could tell me how can I change(add) a site header img for the theme twenty twelve specifically?

you should take that , or anything else about twenty twelve to twenty twelve theme support

https://wordpress.org/support/theme/twentytwelve

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar