Categories
Search
Bottom

bullets in front of everything

• kallard
    Participant

@kallard

Here is my forum page: http://www.sdusdpreptimeteachers.com/discussion/

This is a brand new installation of both WP and bbPress, and not much up on the page so far, and certainly no discussion as of now.

I have bullets in front of everything in the forum and my formatting is thrown off, most likely because of the bullets.

I know that this is an issue with my theme that I created in Artisteer, as this did not happen with the free themes from WordPress.org. That being said, I am not sold on this theme – was just trying to get something up – but will definitely be creating my own rather than using TwentyThirteen or other similar theme.

What do I need to look for to change this and where?

I did search this issue and only found one post from over 2 years ago and tried to solve that way with no success.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hi kallard,
    The best place to start from would probably be the bbpress codex: https://codex.bbpress.org/themes/
    If you are not really sold on this theme, try to look for bbpress compatible themes to get started faster.
    Pascal.

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

Well, even though I am not sold on this particular theme, I do want to make my own, and it will still (probably) be using Artisteer. I tried some other themes that I have made previously with Artisteer and have the exact same issue.

The only problem is with the bullets (as far as I can tell), so I just want to know where I need to look to fix that problem. I have bullets in front of each piece of header text…like time, topic, views, replies, etc.

I assume I need to look in my theme css, but not sure what I should be looking for and what to change to stop this from happening.

Robkk

@robkk

@kallard

This is a common layout issue and like you said caused by the themes css and because bbPress uses lists instead of a table layout.

You can most likely fix this just with some Custom CSS. When I visited your site I do not see the discussion forums present, so can you activate bbPress again so I can help with this by giving you some CSS to fix the layout issue.

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

The forum is at the “discussion” tab on the menu. The address is: http://www.sdusdpreptimeteachers.com/discussion/

Thank you.

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

Ha,ha…just realized I had made the page private through Ultimate Member. Hopefully you can see it now.

Robkk

@robkk

Try this custom css, I think I got ahold of most of the styles you would need to fix this issue. Make sure to place these CSS styles into your child themes stylesheet or anywhere else you can place custom CSS styles into, like in a separate plugin

#bbpress-forums ul>li {
        overflow-x: visible !important;
        overflow-y: visible !important;
        padding-left: 0 !important;
    }

#bbpress-forums ul>li:before {
        margin-left: 0 !important;
        content: ‘‘ !important;
        margin-right: 0 !important;
        bottom: 0 !important;
        position: relative !important;
        display: block !important;
    }

#bbpress-forums li {
        color: inherit !important;
        margin: 0 !important;
    }

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

Ok, I did try to paste this into my stylesheet and it did not do anything. I also tried to use Simple Custom CSS, and also did not solve the problem. Not sure I am just not putting it in correctly or not.

“Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help.”

Probably only available for registered users…

Robkk

@robkk

@kallard

Just edited the CSS above copy it and replace it over the one you copied in either your child themes stylesheet or in the custom css plugin. If this does not work, might want to add !important.

@casiepa
    the forum in the forum list widget is visible.

@Robkk, I will leave this one in your hands as San Diego is closer to you then to me 🙂

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

@casiepa – sorry, that’s weird because I had made it public for trouble shooting, but somehow it reset itself.

I recopied and pasted the above through the plugin, and nothing. I also tried in the stylesheet as well.

I tried adding !important – still nothing, though this could be user error, as I only have a novice level working knowledge of css. Below is what I entered, so not sure it is correct.

This is what I input:
    .bbpress .art-postcontent ul>li,
    .bbpress .art-post ul>li,
    .bbpress .art-textblock ul>li {
    overflow-x: visible !important;
    overflow-y: visible !important;
    }

.bbpress .art-postcontent ul>li,
    .bbpress .art-post ul>li,
    .bbpress .art-textblock ul>li {
    padding-left: 0 !important;
    }

.bbpress .art-postcontent ul>li:before,
    .bbpress .art-post ul>li:before,
    .bbpress .art-textblock ul>li:before {
    margin-left: 0 !important;
    }

.bbpress .art-postcontent ul>li:before,
    .bbpress .art-post ul>li:before,
    .bbpress .art-textblock ul>li:before {
    content: “” !important;
    margin-right: 0 !important;
    bottom: 0 !important;
    position: relative !important;
    display: block !important;
    }

.bbpress .art-postcontent li,
    .bbpress .art-post li,
    .bbpress .art-textblock li {
    color: inherit !important;
    margin: 0 !important;
    }

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

Wait! I got it! I went to the Artisteer forum and searched there. Probably should have done that in the first place.

The instructions were to add this at the bottom of the stylesheet:
    #bbpress-forums li:before {content: ”!important;}
    .b5-file-manager-folder li:before { content: ‘ ‘!important; }

No more random bullets.

Thanks for helping!

So now that I have access, you fixed it, pffff 🙂
    Glad you found it.
    Pascal.

Robkk

@robkk

@kallard There is some layout issues still, hopefully my edited css will fix the rest.

bullets in front of everything

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

Yes! That’s it! I thought it still looked a little off, but walked away from it for the day.

Thank you again!

Robkk

@robkk

@kallard

Checking your site again, the padding for the bbPress forum header that shows the labels looks a little cozy to the left, you may need to edit the padding-left: 0 !important;, by default I think the padding is set to about 8px, maybe setting 0 to 8px or removing the !important might help with that.

kallard
    Participant

@kallard

Got it. Had to remove the !important

Thanks again!

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar