Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BUG: Previous link on frontpage pagination doesn't work

• frooyo

@frooyo

I’m running bbPress 1.0.2.

I’m having problems with the “PREVIOUS” link when using the “bb_latest_topics_pages” function.

I have the following code on my frontpage.php

<?php endforeach; endif; // $topics ?>

<?php bb_latest_topics_pages( array( ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”nav”>’, ‘after’ => ‘</

div>’ ) ); ?>

It display paged frontpage topic links (1, 2, 3, Next) but whenever I’m on a page other than the frontpage … for example, Page 2, both the Previous and Page 1 link points to the current page and not the previous page.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• hatter

@hatter

Are you using the kakumei template? Here is what I have in my front-page.php file:

<?php endforeach; endif; // $topics ?>

</table>

<?php bb_latest_topics_pages( array( ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”nav”>’, ‘after’ => ‘</div>’ ) ); ?>

<?php endif; // $topics or $super_stickies ?>

and have not had any issues.

Can you paste the html code generated for your links to provide more information?

frooyo

@frooyo

@hatter

The code you have above is exactly what I have.

You can view the code live at: http://bit.ly/8yfVim

Notice this is Page 2, when the “Previous” link does not work correct. The “Previous” link links to the same page (page 2) and not the frontpage.

hatter

@hatter

It appears to be an issue with permalinks. Try and add this line to your bb-config.php file:

$bb->mod_rewrite = false;

If this is the case, make sure you setup permalinks correctly, since they don’t work out of the box. You can see how to do it Here

frooyo

@frooyo

@hatter

I went into the Admin panel and re-selected to use the “example.com/forums/first-forum” type of permalinks.

This then regenerated the appropriate code for my .htaccess file; HOWEVER, I’m still experiencing the exact same issues.

Also, when I added the “$bb->mod_rewrite = false;” code to my bb-config.php file, my entire site broke. So I remove the “$bb->mod_rewrite = false;” code.

hatter

@hatter

Not sure why your site would break with that code. Did you add it to the end of the file, before the ?> ? Also, have you tried turning off permalinks to see if that works for your site?

frooyo

@frooyo

@hatter

If I go into the Admin panel and turn off Permalinks, it does in fact work (though the “Previous” link, links to http://www.example.com/? – note the trailing “?” … but it does technically work).

Any idea how I can get this to work using the “named based” permalink? Having this only work with the kludgy no-permalink structure is not ideal.

hatter

@hatter

This may sound kinda stupid, but after looking at the code, can you add topics to your forum to create a page 3 to see if you still have the issue? I’m just wondering if this issue only occurs when you only have 2 pages worth of topics. Can you test this real quick to see if this is the case? I will keep looking into it in the mean time.

frooyo

@frooyo

@hatter

I’ve updated my site, link in above post, to now have 4 pages. You’ll see that the “Page 1” link is always messed up when you’re viewing it not from the frontpage.

hatter

@hatter

Ok, I think I see the problem now. If you look at the source code for the page 1 link, it generates an empty href element, which by default will link back to the current page. This is generated in the bb_paginate_links function in bb-includesfunctions.bb-core.php. Can you try something real quick, as a possible fix? Around line 244, you will see the following:

$empty_format = ”;

Change this to:

$empty_format = ‘/’;

This will generate an href of “/” which should lead to the root of your forum. Please let us know if this works.

frooyo

@frooyo

@hatter

Changing $empty_format = ””;

to

$empty_format = ”/”;

make’s it work.

MANY, MANY thanks. Anyway of me being able to make this work now without having to modify the core bbPress code? My concern is that I want to be able to upgrade bbPress in the future without having to remember I made this modification to the core function.

frooyo

@frooyo

Also, how to I file a code patchset to fix this bug for others?

hatter

@hatter

I’m glad it’s working for you. Though this is not an ideal fix, it at least works for now. You were correct in your title in that this is a bug with permalinks. And you are correct that this could be an issue in the future when upgrading. I created a ticket, so hopefully this will be fixed in the future for yourself and other users.

hatter

@hatter

FYI, in the future, if you find / solve a bug, tickets can be created at http://trac.bbpress.org

johnhiler

@johnhiler

You can work around the bug by installing the topics-per-page plugin, and then editing your template:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/navigation-not-working-only-for-page-1#post-56239

You can find the plugin here:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/front-page-topics/

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar