Both private and public part in one forum

• alice2dupouy
    Participant

@alice2dupouy

Hi everybody 🙂

And first of all:
    – Sorry for my English mistakes :/
    – Sorry if I post in the wrong forum(?)
    – Sorry if this question was already asked: I looked for an answer for 2 days and I can’t find anything which suits exactly to my problem :'(

I am trying to create a very simple forum for this website: http://www.zykoson.com/site
    I am using the latest versions of WordPress, BBpress, BuddyPress etc.
    I’ve read all the documentation, lots of topics but I still don’t know how to have:
    – One “public” part: everybody is able to see the forums and topics, but people have to be registered to post something.
    – One “private” part:only registered members belonging to a special group are able to see and post in this part. I would like to manually add these users to the group, after they create their profile.

Really, I think I am stupid because I CAN’T get there. I’ve tried everything: private forums, public ones, creating multiples groups with Buddypress. But no way. There is always a problem (and even if I get something correct, there is still a problem such as the breadcrumb which doesn’t display correctly)!

Please I need help before snatching all my hair, I’m on the verge of abandoning everything T_T

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for this so simple question

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

no problem you need my private groups plugin as additional to bbpress.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

alice2dupouy
    Participant

@alice2dupouy

Omg… I already tried this plugin sooner but it didn’t work correctly. I just tried again (after re-installing it) and now it works and my settings are almost done.
    Now I’m fighting with the different registration/login/etc components, but I’m more confident with this stuff!
    Thank you very much for your quick answer and have a good day! 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

great – glad you’re fixed

You can also try my style pack, which has some login features as well as lots of styling stuff

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-style-pack/

mso122591
    Participant

@mso122591

Do you have to manually put members into those groups? I was trying to figure out a way to make certain members automatically become a part of a group or something.

My ideal scenario would be being able to make a forum private/hidden and to only allow those with the URL to have access. The goal is to easily allow a large group of people to enter into a private forum by passing out the URL and having another large group of people have their own forum by passing out the URL. Robin, I have been browsing around a lot and you seem to be very knowledgeable on this stuff. Any way solution you know of? Unfortunately, I am not so tech savvy with this stuff.

Robin W

@robin-w

yes you just need to have different wordpress roles for each group.

plenty of wordpress role plugins to achieve that

Robin W

@robin-w

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.