Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbSync

• This is a WordPress plugin. It will not work as a plugin in bbPress. WordPress and bbPress must be integrated.

bbSync will integrate WordPress and bbPress pretty thoroughly. Any posts made on the blog will create a new topic on the forums (this supports slugs and anything else that will come). Any replies made to the topic in the forums can be shown under the WP post with <?php felbbreplies(); ?>, and it will show people’s avatars if you use Louisedade’s avatar upload plugin.

You can migrate the old synchronisation from bbPress Post and delete the unnecessary tables (this plugin keeps its data in topicmeta, with the key wp_posts).

Hoping to add stuff later, either when I want it myself or when other people want it. I want feedback if you have it! I eat my own dog food and I’m finding it delicious. Will upload as official plugin when I get access.

bbPress Post and this plugin should not be running at the same time, otherwise you’ll get duplicate topics when you blog. If you get some error about a call to member function of a non-object, there’s a good chance adding this in the middle of your bbPress’ config.php file will help:

global $bbdb;

This plugin does need configuring to do anything useful. Head to Options > bbSync and fill things in please.

http://rapidshare.com/files/35813637/bbsync.zip.html

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 259 total)

• crowspeaker

@crowspeaker

Cool.

It would great if there could be a widget on the Write Post page that would

* Allow me to pick which forum to post the topic to

* Allow me to select the excerpt or a number of words to appear in the forum

* NOT post the topic to a forum (in the case of news, etc.)

I should have tested everything. >_< A new problem’s come up somewhere down the line and new topics are not created. On the one hand it’s not working for me … on the other hand I’m too tired to fix it now.

I don’t advise download until I’ve fixed it.

Crowspeaker, started working on that but it’s been a little disrupted.

Sorry >_<

bbPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' '', , '', '2007-06-08 00:25:43'' at line 4]
    INSERT INTO bb_topics (topic_title, topic_slug, topic_poster, topic_poster_name, topic_last_poster, topic_last_poster_name, topic_start_time, topic_time, forum_id) VALUES ('Lorem, err, what was it again?', 'lorem-err-what-was-it-again', , '', , '', '2007-06-08 00:25:43', '2007-06-08 00:25:43', 5)

This is more like it! Had to use bb_set_current_user() to make that work if anyone’s curious. I also found that adding $bb_cache to the list of globals removed an error similar to the one I was getting with $bbdb (so adding global $bbdb, $bb_cache is worth a go if it gives an error as in post #1).

Should work now, it’s generally nicer plus you can set the forum and excerpt length on a per-post basis if you want to. Hopefully stupidity on the scale above is avoided.

http://rapidshare.com/files/36033986/bbsync.zip.html

Is there any documenatiom or a small readme for this plug? It seems like the answer to all my dreams but it isnt working for me. I get a white screen after i post, post saves to wp but there is no activity in bb. wp and bb are integrated and as a reference, bbpost worked fine when it was in use (which i deactivated and deleted from my server for bbsync).

All of my options are correct, absolute path, etc…

Also, the per post radio button wont stay checked. After I click submit, it unchecks itself.

Thanks for your work on this fel64! If this what you are using on your site it looks amazing!

Did you back up your databases? Then you can restore them until it’s figured out :)

Have you checked your error logs? I’d expect a fatal error if it goes blank. That could really help.

No problem, did it for myself. Just sorry it’s not working for you yet!

Fix for the checkboxes – thanks Sneaky!

Oh, and what versions of bb and WP are you using? I’m using 1.0-alpha and 2.2 respectively.

Fix for the check boxes worked. I can see the options now in the post.

with regards to the backing up of databases/error logs, it isnt that serious. The posts still post to WP and all, but, there is no post confirmation page, the page just goes blank. It seems like there is an interruption between the post being published and confirmed that is caused by bbsync. The interruption is probably somewhere in the code where the post is picked up by bbsync and sent to bb.

WP 2.1.2 and 1.o BB.

Thanks again!

Yes, I’m fairly sure that’s where the problem is. Anything in your error logs?

Luckily once this is fixed if you simply edit any non-synced posts and save them they will be synced :) Unfortunately the topic time will be whatever time it is when you first saved that post.

Grab 2.2, not only might it make things work for you but it’s always safer to upgrade anyway. I don’t think that the 2.1 branch will be maintained, and there’s a very serious XML-RPC issue in 2.1.2 that leaves you very vulnerable (note 2.1.3 isn’t worth upgrading to as I don’t think it’ll get more fixes).

Hey Fel, quick question, can you explain “WordPress and bbPress must be integrated.” To my knowledge my installs are integrated as I was able to get bbpress-post working. Is there another step that your plugin requires? Can you give me a step by step run down of what I should do in order to integrate WP and BB as you have?

Integrate in my mind (for this case) would have the bbPress install using the wp_users table. Login integration. Correct Fel64?

Trent

That’s right, to the best of my knowledge it just needs the user tables to be integrated. I suppose I could actually change it so you can set the account you want to post with, if anyone cares for that?

Sneaky, the only other steps should be to configure the plugin. I need some info on what’s going wrong!

By the way, I prefer lower-case fel64 or just call me Felix. :)

“it just needs the user tables to be integrated” – by this, do you mean this -> https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/438 ?

No. I mean that the account you log into WP with is the one you log into bb with. That bb gets its users from wp_users and not bb_users. The plugin gets your user id, then sets that to be the active user in bb. I guess if the user id is present in both tables it doesn’t really matter, you might just be posting with the wrong account. Hmm, maybe that’s not even a requirement. Cool.

Anyway! Why won’t you talk about finding out the error message? That’s the only way to fix this.

If you like, I can make you a custom version that will echo everything it’s doing. It wouldn’t be as useful but it would do the job.

Sorry, I dont know where to find this “error message” where can I find that?

If you look in FTP, there should be a file just called error_log, or at least there is for me. Not that familiar with it. Anyway, just open that with a plain text editor and read what it says. There’s probably one in most folders, not quite sure how the errors are distributed to log files so it’s worth looking in root, htdocs or public_html or similar or in your wp plugins directory. Perhaps someone else can say more specifically? My guess is it would be in your public html folder (or whatever it’s called).

It’ll be organised by date, just look for the right time and any errors occuring in bbsync.php.

I did a thorough look through and I didnt find anything that matched what you referred to…Has anyone else had this problem/got bbsync working? I am sure that others can help out in this situation as well…

I dont want to give up on this because this plugin honestly looks like a Godsend.

Alright, just put in lots of echo commands telling you what’s going on. Rename this file bbsync.php and replace the old copy with it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/36598477/bbsyncverbose.php.html

You do not have to make a new post in WP, just pick one that isn’t synchronised and click save – it will work just the same as though it were new. Copy and paste the output you’ll hopefully get.

fel64,

Thanks for all the hard work you put in on this. I just installed the latest (I assume) version of bbsync on my site, and I’m getting the following error message when I try to save a post in WP:

“got opshuns

got bb

got currentuserinfo

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /path/to/my/forums/bb-includes/functions.php on line 607″

I added “global $bbdb;” to my bbpress config.php like you suggest, and it didn’t seem to make any difference. As well, when I use the “<?php felbbreplies(); ?>” call on my indie pages I get the following:

“doin’ felwptobb

pre-query in felwptobb. bb_topicmeta = bb_topicmeta

felwptobb post-query, topic_id = 2

~ 21:36 15th Jun 07 admin

blah blah blah this is a test reply

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_topic() in /home/.reactor/starrett/lifthill.com/wp/wp-content/plugins/bbsync.php on line 432″

So it is bringing in and displaying the replies, but then it gives the error.

I’m running WP 2.2 and BB 0.8.1.

Thanks!

That’s a special version I made for Sneaky who had problems finding out what the error was :) This is the currently latest version; I was planning to upload properly to the plugins section when there’s no outstanding problems here. This version is the same as the one you downloaded, though, just without the messages.

Try changing the “global $bbdb;” to this:

global $bbdb, $bb_cache;

Hey fel, finally got around to installing the verbose bbsync. This is what I get:

“got opshuns”

Thats it….Any ideas?

Also, it still doesnt work for me. Nothing gets posted to BB. I am integrated, if I am live in WP I am live in BB by signing into wp and visa versa.

Fel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I replaced the version I had with the version you just linked, and added the global $bbdb, $bb_cache; and I am now getting this message when I attempt to save a post:

“Warning: array_filter() [function.array-filter]: The second argument, ‘Array’, should be a valid callback in /path_to/wp/forums/bb-includes/capabilities.php on line 275

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path_to/wp/forums/bb-includes/capabilities.php on line 279

Warning: in_array() [function.in-array]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /path_to/wp/forums/my-plugins/forum-moderators.php on line 52

Warning: in_array() [function.in-array]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /path_to/wp/forums/my-plugins/forum-moderators.php on line 52

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /path_to/wp/forums/bb-includes/capabilities.php:275) in /path_to/wp/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 329″

Sneaky: cool, thanks. I suspect you have a similar problem to Starrett but it’s going to be very difficult to find without seeing the errors. I’ll see if I can write you something that can read the error logs for you. :)

Starrett: That’s progress! I like it!

Try adding $bb_roles to the list, so that it becomes

global $bbdb, $bb_cache, $bb_roles;

This could be interesting. Either this will fix everything, or we’ll go through global by global variable and it should work eventually. Cool!

(All I’m doing is looking at the code you’ve got, finding the right line and looking at the variables called in it. The one we’ve got a problem with is usually the one which is called just before, like in this case line 275 uses $bb_roles and a few lines up it says global $bb_roles;. If you feel confident, you can look for the variable that’s causing a problem yourself. Or we can keep doing this. :) )

fel: Success! I added $bb_roles to config.php, and it’s now creating new forum topics upon save of the post. However, it is still giving me the “Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_topic() in /path_to/wp/wp-content/plugins/bbsync/bbsync.php on line 412” when I call <?php felbbreplies(); ?> on my indie pages, if the corresponding forum topic has replies – it doesn’t do anything otherwise. Any suggestions?

Man, I got all excited and did what you did starrett, didnt work for me…..same blank page upon save/publish post…

Starrett: Fantastic! I think I’ve got the problem, for now go to the options and disable the “Do you want me to load bbPress whenever to …” checkbox. Temporary fix.

Sneaky, we’re gonna make it work! :P

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 259 total)
  • The topic ‘bbSync’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar