Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress Topics for Posts comment

• Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

Article comments should be integrated into defoult’s bbpress in my opinion.

bbPress Topics for Posts

I do not understand why this function does not actually exist and wordpress mentine these two desired services. In this way today few people leave comments and few people write in the forum …
    I saw that the creatre of this plugin is @Robin W so I would like to ask him why wodpress doesn’t take this option into consideration.
    Also I’d like to ask why this plugin hasn’t been updated in a while.
    Thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)

• Learner
    Participant

@newest

@robin-w

Thanks for persevering !…seems to be working now :

Topic-To-Posts-3

Thanks for all your help.

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ll probably break it again when I fix ricsca2’s problem !! ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad you are fixed !

mc9625
    Participant

@mc9625

Hi all, I have an answer: is there an option to have the topic created automatically as soon as I create the post? It seems working only when someone actually reply, but it could be useful to create the topic automatically if you want to keep the blog and the forum somehow synchronized. I would prefer to have topics without any reply, than only few topics.

Robin W

@robin-w

@mc9625 what have you got set in

dashboard>settings>discussion>bbPress Topics for Posts Defaults>Create a new bbPress topic in… ?

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

In future updates it would be nice if you could add a little more text in the created treads.

Robin W

@robin-w

@ricsca2 – I’m pretty sure it just uses the wordpress default excerpt length, which you can amend – see this for 3 methods

How to Change The Default Excerpt Length In WordPress

if this works, please post back so we know ๐Ÿ™‚

Robin W

@robin-w

@ricsca2 I’ve just released version 1.8.5 which should fix duplicate topics being created

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

I noticed something else that could be improved.
    When users are not logged in, the comments part of bbpress is not very nice.

Robin W

@robin-w

the comments part of bbpress is not very nice.

you are presuming that what your site shows is the same as everyone else’s – can you explain what you mean?

my test site shows what I would expect

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

0-A2-E2854-C871-48-FB-BD1-F-AE46176263-DB C7-FD441-D-3-B2-A-4-EFB-82-AC-26-D9-F99-DAA72

in these two options it is not clear that they are comments.

above it should say “Write a comment”

and in the option “Follow this link to join the discussion” the link should be a prominent button.

Robin W

@robin-w

for ‘Follow this link to join the discussion’ – you are welcome to style it as a button if you wish

go to

dashbaoard>settings>discussion and change

Follow this link to join the discussion

to

<div class="myButton">Follow this link to join the discussion</div>

you can then style a button, if you don’t know how go to

https://www.bestcssbuttongenerator.com/

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

can you automatically insert the “leave and comment” look?
    Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, I don’t understand the question?

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

I thought…
    As for the seo, can having the article with the same title in the forum penalize?

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

I think I have found a bug.
    If I install buddypress, it creates the topic for the activity and and members pages.

Robin W

@robin-w

@ricsca2 – I don’t know what you are asking in the previous or whether you still have an issue on either ‘can you automatically insert the โ€œleave and commentโ€ look?’ or ‘As for the seo, can having the article with the same title in the forum penalize?’ or what either means.

If you still need help, can you type more than a single sentence ๐Ÿ™‚

On the issue of buddypress, topics for posts lets you decide if the default for a page is to create a topics for posts or not (see dashboard>settings>discussion). On page creation, you can then switch on and off as you wish. Are these actual pages or virtual pages?

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

Sorry for my english but i use google translate ๐Ÿ™‚

First question:
    I have installed buddypress and I have been created 2 posts in the forum that refer one to the “Activities” page and the other to the “Members” page.

Second question:
    When you create a blog post, a forum topic is created with the same title and a summary.
    Can Google Seo penalize since they have 2 identical titles?

Robin W

@robin-w

first question ; do you have a page in

dashboard>pages called activities and one called members ?

second question : I don’t know, I am not an SEO expert ๐Ÿ™‚

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

@robin-w sent mail

Robin W

@robin-w

yes you have a page called activities, so you just need to turn off the topics for posts on this page

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

I do not understand…

Robin W

@robin-w

dashboard>pages>all pages> and select the ‘activities’ page.

From there select ‘page’ on right hand side

scroll down and you should see ‘topics for posts’

and a tickbox ‘use a bbpress forum topic for comments on this post’ – untick this.

If you do not see that part, then click the 3 vertical dots and scroll to the bottom of that page, select preferences and then panels and then click the topics for posts

Sorry this is wordpress not me making this hard

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

Allright…
    But shouldn’t forum topics be created just for blog posts?
    I didn’t know they were also created for pages. Is it useful to have this function also for pages?

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

When topics are created in the forum this is the writing they have of defoult.

%excerpt<br />[See the full post at: <a href="%url">%title</a>]

Could you replace like this for all in the next plugin update which with extra space and bold is more visible?

%excerpt ...<br /><br /><b>See the full post at: <a href="%url">%title</a></b>

Thank you

Robin W

@robin-w

on ‘Is it useful to have this function also for pages?’ – it might be for some, and I do not plan to change this at the moment.

On the default – I also don’t plan to change this – there are lost of people using the existing default, and to suddenly change this forcing them to change it back is not good practice. You can of course change it yourself for your site

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar