Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress Topics for Posts comment

• Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

Article comments should be integrated into defoult’s bbpress in my opinion.

bbPress Topics for Posts

I do not understand why this function does not actually exist and wordpress mentine these two desired services. In this way today few people leave comments and few people write in the forum …
    I saw that the creatre of this plugin is @Robin W so I would like to ask him why wodpress doesn’t take this option into consideration.
    Also I’d like to ask why this plugin hasn’t been updated in a while.
    Thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I am just a guy who sites in his kitchen and writes code for enjoyment, and I like to try and help others on the forums.

I do not get paid to do this, I have no connection with bbpress and all code (inc wordpress and bbpress) is offered under OSF, which is that it is free, open source to allow others to amend it, and offered with no support and no warranty that it does anything.

bbpress authors are free to decide what they put in their code, as am I. I do not suggest what should be in bbpress, nor do I consider that they should take any notice of me.

The topics for posts plugin has not been updated for a while because the authors do not choose to do so, that is their right, it is free code offered at the point of publishing. You are free to learn php and update and amend it as you wish.

I am not author of topics for posts, I have just been granted access as I wish to update it, which I will do when I am ready to do so.

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve just updated the topics for posts plugin ๐Ÿ™‚

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

Very very thanks.

I believe that if this function were default for wordpress, it would relaunch the use of the form and help make the section alive too
    comments.
    it would be nice to be able to suggest it to wordpress

Robin W

@robin-w

๐Ÿ™‚

neon67
    Participant

@neon67

Thank you! Does this work with Gutenberg now?

Robin W

@robin-w

yes if I have got it right ๐Ÿ™‚

erich199
    Participant

@erich199

Thank you @robin-w for helping to get this one updated for everyone.

jav1s
    Participant

@jav1s

Thank you! Does this work with Gutenberg now?

Robin W

@robin-w

should do !

Learner
    Participant

@newest

Thanks much @robin-w for updating this plugin. Installed it today at my website https://strokesupport.in and activating it leads to a fatal error on my website as under :

====
    Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Warning: Illegal string offset ‘display’ in /usr/local/lsws/stroke/html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress-post-topics/index.php on line 924

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Cannot unset string offsets in /usr/local/lsws/stroke/html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress-post-topics/index.php:926 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/lsws/stroke/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): bbppt_activate(”) #1 /usr/local/lsws/stroke/html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(311): WP_Hook->apply_filters(”, Array) #2 /usr/local/lsws/stroke/html/wp-includes/plugin.php(484): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #3 /usr/local/lsws/stroke/html/wp-admin/plugins.php(193): do_action(‘activate_bbpres…’) #4 {main} thrown in /usr/local/lsws/stroke/html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress-post-topics/index.php on line 926
    ==============

All help and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

quick question, – is this a new installation of this plugin, or update of an old one?

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

@robin-w con l’ultimo aggiornamento c’รจ un bug.
    Ogni volta che si aggiorna l’articolo, viene creato un nuovo post nel forum.

Robin W

@robin-w

translated..

with the latest update there is a bug.
    Each time the article is updated, a new post is created in the forum.

The update only affected a function that runs on plugin activation – but I will take a look

Learner
    Participant

@newest

@robin-w – a new installation. Sorry missed seeing your reply…..I deactivated the plugin at my website…on reactivation now the error doesn’t come but the plugin doesn’t work either.

Robin W

@robin-w

@newest can you define ‘doesnโ€™t work either.’ that would help me fix it

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

@robin-w sent mail with my demo site

wilsonrobine @ btinternet.com

Learner
    Participant

@newest

What I mean it is that on activating the plugin I am seeing

topicsforposts

when I edit a post.

However, nothing further happens – should I not get a Topic in the bbPress forums I have created with a link to the post ??

Learner
    Participant

@newest

Am not sure how to upload an image here..all help appreciated !

Ricsca2
    Participant

@ricsca2

Learner
    Participant

@newest

@robin-w

What I mean is that on activating the plugin I am seeing

Topicsforposts

Topicsfor-posts-1

when I edit a post.

However, nothing further happens โ€“ should I not get a Topic in the bbPress forums I have created with a link to the post ??

Learner
    Participant

@newest

@ricsca2

Got it ! I just needed to put the URL of the image in the post…

What then is the IMG icon above for , since clicking the same opens up a dialog box asking for URL of the image but putting the URL there does not show the image in the post !!

Robin W

@robin-w

@newest not sure if you are describing your issue with topics for posts or your issue with posting images – I’d love to help, but I have limited time to read posts.

Topics for posts works on when you publish a topic, so can you start there.

Learner
    Participant

@newest

@robin-w

I was not able to attach an image describing the issue I am facing , hence asking for same. I have managed that finally and the image is attached in thereply.

The description of this plugin reads :
    ===
    Adds an option to the Discussion meta box to use a bbPress topic instead of WordPress comments, and displays that topic beneath the post on your site.

You can let the plugin create a new topic for you in the forum of your choice, or specify an existing topic to attach to the post.
    A topic can be attached to as many posts as youโ€™d like, but only one topic can currently be attached to a post.
    ====
    From above my understanding is that in Discussion Metabox of a post a bbPress topic should show up, or I should be able to create a new topic. But that is not happening, though I am getting a checkbox that I have already ticked in, as shown in image I have attached.

You say :
    “Topics for posts works on when you publish a topic, so can you start there.”

But when publishing a topic I see no option to attach it to an existing post. Please see image under :

Topic-To-Posts-2

——
    I hope I am able to clarify. I can appreciate you have limited time. If still too cumbersome or still not clear, let us forget about this. Thanks anyways.

Robin W

@robin-w

@newest- ok, thanks for that.

It works the other way around, you add a topic to a post, not a post to a topic.

so when you publish or edit a wordpress post, you can attach a topic to it.

I didn’t write the original plugin, and Gutenberg made it not work, so I have been given editing rights to try and fix it.

so start by going to

dashboard>settings>discussion and you will see topics for posts about half way down – here you can set up the default actions.

Then as a test create a post.

on the right hand side you should see Post and Block options, make sure you have clicked Post

You should then see near the bottom either in the main but or in the sidebar a ‘Topics for Posts’ box, which will show the defaults.

If you don’t see this (as Gutenberg unhelpfully tries to hide anything useful to the user) click the 3 vertical dots on the right hand side right of publish and the settings cog, at the bottom you will find ‘preferences’ and in that you will find the option to show the topics for posts under additional panels section at the bottom

Sorry this is all horrible – it’s not me making it so I promise you ๐Ÿ™‚

Robin W

@robin-w

@newest the issue relates to how gutenberg does an update – it uses AJAX rather than refresh the post, so the initial settings are not seen, and the post considers the update as a new publish.

I’ll need to work on some code to fix

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar