Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress stand along or plugin

• So i see there are two versions of this software, a plugin and stand alone version. I guess im wondering if both will continue to be supported or are they moving in one direction?

Also, is there any plan to create importing options for those who have phpbb or vbulletin forums and want to transfer to bbpress?

thx

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• johnhiler

@johnhiler

bbPress is currently only available as a standalone version. It’s not yet available as a plugin – as I understand it, that is several versions away at this point.

it came with my version of buddypress, so i assumed it was a plugin but i could be wrong.

johnhiler

@johnhiler

The lead developer on BuddyPress explained the relationship this way: “There is code in BuddyPress that allows bbPress to install, configure and run all within the WordPress environment.”

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/future-of-bbpress#post-60022

They are definitely separate programs… it’s just that BuddyPress is based on WordPress MU, and the BuddyPress team has added the ability to install bbPress from inside of WordPress.

Hope that clarifies the relationship a bit more!

“the BuddyPress team has added the ability to install bbPress from inside of WordPress”

I wish that Automattic would have done the same for the stand-alone version of WP 2.9, after all, there are more single installs of WP than there is of BuddyPress and MU.

I saw that there’s a bbPress canonical plugin in the works but I wonder what the ETA is…

Gene

johnhiler

@johnhiler

As for the bbPress canonical plugin, I think that is a ways away.

But I just checked, and the latest version of BuddyPress does actually work with WordPress 2.9!

https://buddypress.org/blog/news/introducing-buddypress-1-2/

Hi John,

Uploading a fresh WP install along with BuddyPress, thanks for the tip.

Gene

Yeah but u can’t have standalone forums in BuddyPress 1.2

They are limited to groups only. Some find it a problem.

“Yeah but u can’t have standalone forums in BuddyPress 1.2

They are limited to groups only.”

You can install a standalone bbPress forum and share user database and cookies with BuddyPress quite easy… Just fill the bb-config.php before running the setup.

@wemaflo

obviously!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar