Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress-polls for the bbPress WordPress plugin!?

• Hi,

I have the plugin version of bbPress for my WordPress site, and would now like certain forum members to be able to both create and vote on polls within bbPress topics.

So I found the bbPress-Polls plugin, but the installation instructions for it mention a ‘my-plugins’ directory in bbPress file structure. Well, this directory might exist for the bbPress standalone, but I cannot find it in the bbPress Plugin file structure.

Is there a way for the bbPress Plugin to have bbPress-Polls or any other polling/voting that attaches directly to topics (not widgets!)?

I suppose I also have a wider question here too – do all plugin that were developed for the standalone version if bbPress also work for the bbPress-Plugin? If so, is it just a matter of creating a directory or just using a different directory? Is there anything profoundly different to the bbPress plugin?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I installed wp-polls plugin, and it functions properly on WordPress posts. The little button in the bbPress topic editor also has the insert-poll button in it – so I tried inserting a wp-poll into a bbPress-plugin topic, but it didn’t work! So I guess this means you really do need a separate poll plugin for the bbPress-Plugin version…?

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

Plugins for bbPress-plugin and bbpress-standalone are different. I don’t expect too many plugins for bbpress-plugin to show up until it’s out of Beta.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Whether or not an existing WordPress plugin will work with bbPress really is going to depend on what that plugin does and how it’s been developed. Lots of plugins work great out of the box, while others behave strangely not just with bbPress, but any custom post type style plugin.

So in summary, there is currently no voting/polling system that can work with the bbPress-Plugin?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Not that I know of, especially considering the bbPress plugin hasn’t officially been released yet.

OK thanks guys, I shall keep my eye out for any developments on this! For now, I shall simply get people to vote on a topic by replying with a ‘Yay’ or a ‘Nay’!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’d use a custom taxonomy, and a creative UI. Seems it could be done pretty easily with the right developer. :)

iphone 5s
    Participant

@jongeren-forum

If this is solved please explain your suggestion

@ideoplasm Adding a voting or rating system into bbPress 2.0 is extremely easy.

You can use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-postratings

or this one: http://www.gdstarrating.com/

Then just add the rating function in loop-topics.php (inside the loop).

You can do the same for loop-replies.php

I’m working in a voting forum myself.

This is an example:

<div class="topic-rating-count">
    <h4><?php if(function_exists('the_ratings')) { the_ratings(); } ?></h4>
    <span><?php _e( 'rating' ); ?></span>
    </div>
    <div class="topic-reply-count">
    <h4><?php bbp_topic_reply_count(); ?></h4>
    <span><?php _e( 'replies' ); ?></span>
    </div>
    <div class="topic-freshness">
    <h4><?php bbp_topic_freshness_link(); ?></h4>
    <span> <?php bbp_author_link( array( 'post_id' => bbp_get_topic_last_active_id(), 'size' => 14 ) ); ?>
    </span>
    </div>

@ PS Vita Games

I meant ‘solved’ as in ‘answered’ – the answer being, that as yet, there is no bbpress vote software…. but then Janoochen made his suggestion. Thanks Janoochen, I shall try that this weekend.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar