Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Bbpress plugin on single page

• zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

I’m trying out the latest version of the BBpress plugin using a basic Twenty Ten child theme. Is there any way to have the forum display using the one column template?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • you have to remove <?php get_sidebar(); ?> from the folowing files:

* single-forum.php

* single-topic.php

* single-reply.php

they are located at your bbpress plugin directory under “bbp-themesbbp-twentyten”

you have to remove <?php get_sidebar(); ?> from the folowing files:

* single-forum.php

* single-topic.php

* single-reply.php

they are located at your bbpress plugin directory under “bbp-themesbbp-twentyten”

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

Great, thanks

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

Great, thanks

I want to do the same thing. We could do with a filter here, so that we can over-ride the functionality without editing core bbPress files. That, together with the existing filter on get_body_class would allow us to emulate onecolumn-page.php without the need for the additional files.

Could this simple filter be considered for beta 2?

I want to do the same thing. We could do with a filter here, so that we can over-ride the functionality without editing core bbPress files. That, together with the existing filter on get_body_class would allow us to emulate onecolumn-page.php without the need for the additional files.

Could this simple filter be considered for beta 2?

those are not core-bbpress files, those are bbpress child-theme files for twebtyten-theme.

mark, i like your idea, fillers are better. but in this case we are talking about front-end display, it depends on how your theme displayes sidebars.

those are not core-bbpress files, those are bbpress child-theme files for twebtyten-theme.

mark, i like your idea, fillers are better. but in this case we are talking about front-end display, it depends on how your theme displayes sidebars.

They’re core in the sense that they’ll get overwritten when I update the bbPress plugin. That’s why I don’t want to edit them.

Because bbPress works best using its own child theme, it’s really important we have filters and actions in that theme, because we can’t use our own child theme to override it (because WordPress doesn’t support children of children).

I’ll add a ticket to trac about it.

They’re core in the sense that they’ll get overwritten when I update the bbPress plugin. That’s why I don’t want to edit them.

Because bbPress works best using its own child theme, it’s really important we have filters and actions in that theme, because we can’t use our own child theme to override it (because WordPress doesn’t support children of children).

I’ll add a ticket to trac about it.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You could just as easily put some code in the sidebar.php of your theme to show/hide whenever you want it to. Contextual sidebars are an oft requested WordPress core feature too.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You could just as easily put some code in the sidebar.php of your theme to show/hide whenever you want it to. Contextual sidebars are an oft requested WordPress core feature too.

is this for bbpress 1.0 or 2.0?

is this for bbpress 1.0 or 2.0?

2.0 – the OP was talking about the latest version of the plugin. 1.0 is a standalone, not a plugin.

2.0 – the OP was talking about the latest version of the plugin. 1.0 is a standalone, not a plugin.

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

I wasn’t able to get this to work. I removed the <?php get_sidebar(); ?> from the 3 files, which are the bbpress twenty ten theme, doesn’t seem to have any effect when I’m using a Twenty Ten child theme though.

I’ll have to read up on it more.

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

I wasn’t able to get this to work. I removed the <?php get_sidebar(); ?> from the 3 files, which are the bbpress twenty ten theme, doesn’t seem to have any effect when I’m using a Twenty Ten child theme though.

I’ll have to read up on it more.

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

This worked for me while using a Twenty Ten child theme.

.forum #primary, .forum #secondary {display:none;}

.forum #content {margin-left:50px; width: 800px;}

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

This worked for me while using a Twenty Ten child theme.

.forum #primary, .forum #secondary {display:none;}

.forum #content {margin-left:50px; width: 800px;}

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Not really an optimal fix, since it’s still loading the sidebar. Ultimately if you want a custom theme, you need a custom theme. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Not really an optimal fix, since it’s still loading the sidebar. Ultimately if you want a custom theme, you need a custom theme. :)

I just feel like this should be a much simpler task being that this is a forum plugin made for wordpress by wordpress. Why do I have to make a theme for a plugin for my theme that I already made for it’s parent.

I am sorry, but I refuse to make 2 themes for all of the future sites I make just to support a plugin.

I just feel like this should be a much simpler task being that this is a forum plugin made for wordpress by wordpress. Why do I have to make a theme for a plugin for my theme that I already made for it’s parent.

I am sorry, but I refuse to make 2 themes for all of the future sites I make just to support a plugin.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Then don’t. :)

Use the theme compatibility that it comes with.

If you’re not happy with the vanilla configuration, you’re on your own to customize it. If you’re able to make a WordPress theme, you’re able to make it bbPress enabled. You just need to learn how like you did with WordPress.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar