Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress not working!?

• Adri Oosterwijk
    Participant

@adri-oosterwijk

After installation no items appears in WordPress Dashboard, no custom post types are created (as far as I can see)…… No menu item in Settings menu. Nothing happens. Why? What do I do wrong. I am trying for about a day now and I can’t figure it out…… pulling my hair out. Please help.

Worpdpress 4.1, bbPress latest, local site, developing mode1

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

tell me everything you did during installation
    especially if you added some functions to try to make it work

what local development area software are you using??
    did you have all the requirements to run this software, (i had a problem with wamp not to long ago and it was because of a driver was missing)

can you install any other plugins fine??

you can try reinstalling bbPress and see if there was a problem during the first installation

Adri Oosterwijk
    Participant

@adri-oosterwijk

Thank you for your reply.

I installed through the wordpress installer ->from the plugins ->add new -> install.
    Second attempt downloaded the zip, upload it to wordpress and activate it.

No functions added.

I’m using MAMP (for mac, obviously) with mySql and Apache.
    Because I’m on a mac I never had to bother about drivers etc.

Other plugins are installing fine, except I had an issue in the last couple of days with the upgrade of WooCommerce in conjunction with the WPML plugin. That is solved. It was permalink related (content showed in English and was invisible in Dutch)

I have tried to remove the bbPress plugin and try to reinstall it to no avail.

I’m really puzzled here.

Robkk

@robkk

yeah i am a little too

hmmm did you try bbpress by itself with no other plugins activated??

when you do try it by itself use a default theme like twentytwelve and see if we can find the issue.

you could get the product custom post type from woocommerce right??

Adri Oosterwijk
    Participant

@adri-oosterwijk

I had not try to install and run bbPress without other plug ins.

I deactivate any other plug in and switched to the default twentytwelve theme.

Now it works.
    So I have to find out wicht plugin or what part of the child theme is causing this issue.
    Thanks for now and I will get back when I know more.

Robkk

@robkk

if you do pinpoint the issue contact the author of the plugin/theme

Adri Oosterwijk
    Participant

@adri-oosterwijk

I was able to point it down to WPML. When I activate the Multilingual CMS Plugin I see the custom Post Types dissappear. Searching the internet I discovered a bbPress Multilingual bridge plugin. I downloaded this plugin from GitHub an installed it. The Custom Post Types appears as they should.

From this point on I was very optimistic but….
    It is virtually impossible to show the forum. It comes all down to permalink settings and page settings. When I select my WooCommerce shop page as the static front page (what I want) the forum is not visible. It redirects immediately to the front page. When I select no page as front page the forum appears when clicked on the menu item. Beats me! I’m pulling my hair out. Argggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Robkk

@robkk

yeah WPML and bbPress have some compatiblity issues

you should also search the WPML forums and post to the WPML forums if you need some support from them.

Adri Oosterwijk
    Participant

@adri-oosterwijk

I did and I’m awaiting their response. Thank you so far.

Adri Oosterwijk
    Participant

@adri-oosterwijk

I was able to pin it down a bit more. I discovered that this was happening only when the woocommerce shop page was set as Front page in the WordPress Reading Settings. How come? Beats me, but when I selected another page as front page the Forums shows up. Beside that I have a topic out at Woocommerce that the pagination is not working properly. When the shop page is set as front page, the second and any other product page I want to go to takes me to a wrong page. So it looks like it is a permalink issue caused by one of the plugins.

However I definitely want the shop page as my front page. So I had to find a work around. I downloaded a page redirect plugin called Page Links To, created a new page and named it Start. There is no content on that page, I only set the redirect. Selected this page as the static Front page an it all works.

I have my shop page at front, the woocommerce pagination works and the bbPress forums are showing.

Of course the real issue is not solved so please do investigate and let me know.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar