Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress needed, Go for it (standalone) or wait more and more?

• Okay, i have been reading this forum for a few hours now and i need somebody to tell me what’s best.

First, i have installed bbPress once before, a few months ago to give it a try and see if it was something for me because i’m a fan of the WordPress system and it’s plugins.

It worked very good i had no problems because i just needed some basic plugins nothing fancy, but it was only a testing install and never got public before i deleted it.

But now i need to get things going and start building for some project.

I have this project where 2 different game-based sites have to match each other and become one, it’s a game-blog and game-forum based site so thats why i was first thinking of a WordPress site along with a bbPress forum. Very simple and deep integrated in each other to keep both working together.

But when i read this support forum it makes me turn around a few times and not knowing what to do best. Should i go for the bbPress (standalone) version or should i wait for the bbPress WordPress plugin.. I don’t know how things are working out on that side but it feels like this plugin take forever,, No i don’t wanna be rude to all people working on it, (only respect) but is there a time-period set for this plugin to be released?

And if there is one, will it become Beta first and after 2 or 3 years a final and stable product?

What will happen to people (forums) using the bbPress standalone version? will there be a settings option so we could update or upgrade our standalone version to the WordPress plugin version without losing the forum-data?

Or should we start all over again with a fresh clean install?

And yes, i’m already thinking of switching to the plugin based bbPress because i think the standalone version will not be supported and looked after when the plugin version goes live.

Also something i would like to know, i’ve also read a few spam topics with people having trouble catching spam bots..

Is this a regular thing? Because it’s bbPress, it attach spam bots like every clean installed WordPress site will have a spam message in 5 days without doing anything on the site..

I don’t mind if there is something to catch those gangsters but if bbPress has some kind of “weak” (spam) based code i will not like the forum idea for my site.

Don’t get me wrong, i don’t mind to delete a spam message once in a while but if i daily need to delete 25 spam messages while i have running a spam-catch plugin it will not make me very happy..

So could anybody tell me what to do?

I like the bbPress system because it’s “easy” to customize and you’re not working in all the same community themes like you see on most forums..

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

Well first off keep an eye on https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates/ where details of what is happening with regard to the plugin is being posted.

If you need a live forum now, then go standalone, if you can wait a few months – then the plugin may be ready for use.

Spam is a regular thing with <string>all forums, so i don’t believe bbPress has been targetted at all. Plus akismet will be available as a plugin.

But with regard to that I intend to port over my sole plugin for bbpress standalone, to bbPress plugin – a way of marking individual users as trustworthy, ie they don’t need to go through the akismet check.

Plus if I’m able to I plan on adapting a plugin I developed elsewhere that adds in additional restrictions for guests/new members[1]. I’ll start work on that as soon as I feel that bbPress is fairly settled – no point doing it to early as things might change.

[1] restrictions include length of post, number of links etc.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

Well first off keep an eye on https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates/ where details of what is happening with regard to the plugin is being posted.

If you need a live forum now, then go standalone, if you can wait a few months – then the plugin may be ready for use.

Spam is a regular thing with <string>all forums, so i don’t believe bbPress has been targetted at all. Plus akismet will be available as a plugin.

But with regard to that I intend to port over my sole plugin for bbpress standalone, to bbPress plugin – a way of marking individual users as trustworthy, ie they don’t need to go through the akismet check.

Plus if I’m able to I plan on adapting a plugin I developed elsewhere that adds in additional restrictions for guests/new members[1]. I’ll start work on that as soon as I feel that bbPress is fairly settled – no point doing it to early as things might change.

[1] restrictions include length of post, number of links etc.

scorpio0679

@scorpio0679

I am pretty much in the same position as the OP but don’t need to go live for a few more months (March-ish). So I think I’m going to wait a bit. After looking at phpBB, vBulletin, and a few other options, I am going with bbPress because of the way it will integrate with WordPress and BuddyPress which I’ve chosen as the basis for the two sites I’m building.

scorpio0679

@scorpio0679

I am pretty much in the same position as the OP but don’t need to go live for a few more months (March-ish). So I think I’m going to wait a bit. After looking at phpBB, vBulletin, and a few other options, I am going with bbPress because of the way it will integrate with WordPress and BuddyPress which I’ve chosen as the basis for the two sites I’m building.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar