Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress and Yootheme

• nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

Hi all I know this question has been asked many a time but nothing I try seems to work

I have a client who has an existing site that is hugely based around a bbPress forum

I have moved the forum and all users over using these plugins

Cimy User Manager
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/cimy-user-manager/
    First used Cimy so that when I imported the forums the correct users would be present to prevent author issues.

bbPress Import / Export
    https://github.com/pippinsplugins/bbPress-Export-and-Import
    Next used this import export plugin only allows you to do one forum at a time and was hard to find the initial export spot (you have to go forum>”forum name”>On the right hand side under update it will be there). To import you must create the forum first and then in the same spot where you found the export button is the import button

Found these fixes for the plugin on this forum post

bbpress wp4 fix2

bbpress wp4 fix

Integrating bbPress with the Warp7 framework

Next I installed my theme
    http://yootheme.com/demo/wordpress/frequency

Then I did this:

“copy the /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress folder into the /wp-content/themes/my-theme/ folder and then copying the files from /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/extras/ into the /wp-content/themes/my-theme/ folder”

So this fixed most of my major issues except a couple

First off every user profile page looks like this
    http://screencast.com/t/26t9FgsH0maC
    and doesnt populate with the correct information that can be seen on the current site
    Every user you click comes to a profile page where there name is just profile

The other problem I have is how can I now style this page the transparent background isnt really a possibility with this theme

If anyone can help me out that would be great

Thanks

Worpress version: 4.3
    bbPress version: 2.5.8

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

Fixed the styling issue still having the issue of the profile page diplaying the wrong name

nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

Did some digging and its not displaying the wrong name its not displaying a name at all

Robkk

@robkk

Sorry for the late reply, I just approved this post.

Do your bbPress pages have titles?? I think the Name not showing is because the title of the page is the user’s name.

nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

The titles are enabled but not showing anything

nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

The profile its showing isnt actually showing individual profiles.

It lists the correct topics started and replies created but when you click on the links they display all the topics.
    The Replies Page doesnt load in the theme at all just loads on to a blank page

if there isnt a simple fix is there a way to disable the profile pages completely

Robkk

@robkk

Can you link to the site so I can see everything that is happening for the user profiles?

Try bulk editing a user in Users > All Users, and give them a forum role if they do not seem to have the default bbPress roles and see if that fixes anything.

Are you importing from another WordPress/bbPress site?

I also think how you imported everything could be a possibility of why the profiles are screwed up.

I guess you could hide the profiles but the profile links would link to nothing.

nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

Tags and Pretty URIs

nrdev
    nrwebsites

nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

Changed all forum roles to participant but still nothing happened

Robkk

@robkk

Alright I am going to just test out this theme later today to see all the issues it presents and try to resolve them.

Try this on a local development server or just a test site in general o the site you are trying to import from. Cloning the whole site might be the best way to import from one WordPress site to another WordPress site.

Creating a Test Site

nr.duncan
    Participant

@nrduncan

Did you find anything cloning the whole site doesnt work for me as I am building them a new site

Robkk

@robkk

Okay I tested this theme again today and found some issues are actually in the bbPress plugin right now, but it is fixed in the latest dev version.

The user profile page being transparent is related to this bug listed here for theme compatibility.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2545

This is what the profile page and its sub pages looks like this with the modification in the bbPress plugin and without any WP Fix plugins, a custom bbpress.php, without transferring the bbPress templates into the theme.

There is also a possibility to fix the forum search, views listing, topic tag archive, moving replies, easily by either using archive and single for most of these bbPress pages to have better compatibility with these type frameworks. For example it might be best to use is_tax() for topic tag archives but using is_archive() will definitely work for most themes and theme frameworks.

Creating a bbpress.php is sort of a workaround for this. I do not have that much familiarality with the theme and framework that you have to know exactly how it needs to be to post anything to help with this quite yet.

I thought that guide would help you get most of the way there, since all you would need to change is the urls of your site, but I guess you are just transferring basically from bbPress to bbPress.

Something like this would definitely help in your case though.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2605

I guess you can try Exporting and Importing through the regular WordPress tools provided in the Tools section. I tried just exporting all the bbPress post types Forums, Topics, Replies, then run the repair tools, but that did not help and kind of messed up my test site. You can try that, maybe using ALL content instead or not running the repair tools though I recommend using a test server/local development area first.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar