Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.2: All forums now return "Page not found"

• kraigg
    Participant

@kraigg

Good morning,

I upgraded to the latest bbPress 2.2, and now clicking on any of my forums return “Page not found. We’re sorry, but we can’t find the page that you’re looking for. Perhaps searching will help.”

I thought it might’ve been my custom theme, so I went back to the default theme but I still have the same problem. The strange thing is that the page title at the top of the browser shows the correct forum title, so it is going to the right URL. But it is just not loading any of the forums

I have my forums in the following URL structure, which worked in bbPress 2.1.3 and below:
    http://www.mywebsite.com/groups/general-groups/my-test-group/forums/

I tried repairing the forums, but that didn’t work either. Please help? How do I fix this?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can you provide a live URL?
    Have you refreshed permalinks by visiting Settings > Permalinks?
    Are only your BuddyPress group forums not displaying correctly? If you have sitewide forums, are those working?

Does BuddyPress have a Forums tab in Settings > BuddyPress?

If yes, BuddyPress is trying to handle your group forums using its internal (older) version of bbPress.

Is “Allow BuddyPress Groups to have their own forums” checked in Settings > Forums?

If yes, then bbPress is trying to handle the Group Forums. Have you imported your Group Forums using Tools > Forums > Import?

kraigg
    Participant

@kraigg

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for looking into it for me. Here’s a live sample URL of my website http://www.citymoose.com/showcase/websites/ridbcandme (newadmin | newadmin)

To answer your questions:
    Have you refreshed permalinks by visiting Settings > Permalinks?
    Yes, I’ve gone into Settings > Permalinks and re-saved the permalink (/%postname%/)

Are only your BuddyPress group forums not displaying correctly? If you have sitewide forums, are those working?
    I don’t have any sitewide forums, only BuddyPress group forums, but I’m using the standalone bbPress plugin, rather than the bbPress plugin that comes with BuddyPress. Unfortunately no forums are working

Does BuddyPress have a Forums tab in Settings > BuddyPress?
    No, I haven’t enabled the forum setting in BuddyPress. I’m using the standalone bbPress plugin for the forums

If yes, BuddyPress is trying to handle your group forums using its internal (older) version of bbPress.

Is “Allow BuddyPress Groups to have their own forums” checked in Settings > Forums?
    Yes, this is still checked

If yes, then bbPress is trying to handle the Group Forums. Have you imported your Group Forums using Tools > Forums > Import?
    Yes to the first question. I haven’t tried importing the Group Forums using Tools > Forums > Import. The forums were all working prior to upgrading to bbPress 2.2

acticfox
    Participant

@acticfox

i have same problem.
    my forum url is
    http://www.kpop911.com/forums/forum/kpop-gossip/
    after upgrade site wide forum not working.

i can’t solve problem.
    so, i have downgrade to 2.1.3 version.
    i will wait till fixed version.

I’ve also had to downgrade to 2.1.3 after getting reports from some users that they were seeing the page not found page on all pages under our /forums/

I’ve filed a trac ticket here:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2041

Copy and pasting the text:

After upgrading to 2.2 I got reports from certain users that they were seeing our page not found on all forum pages under the /forums/ URL including the base URL itself.

I logged in and tested it with my admin account and did not see it.

I created a normal user account and also could not repro.

I then signed in as that specific user and got a repro.

I then checked the network activity in Chrome and noticed that the site was sending a 200 HTTP code but serving up the standard 404 page. Which explains why I wasn’t seeing any 404’s in my web server error log.

Note that our forums are accessed via HTTPS so this may help you repro.

I downgraded to 2.1.3 and instantly the issue was fixed.

I haven’t noticed any heuristic with the user account that I managed to repro on. I even checked the cookie string to see if there was something odd about that users cookies, but didn’t notice anything.

@kraigg: Check out the “View” link under one of your forums in WordPress Admin > Forums. Note that using the “View” link works; the difference between this URL and the one linked from /groups-shortcode/ is that the one that works ends in ‘forum’; the link from /groups-shortcode/ ends in ‘forums’.

In short: forums are there, but not where /groups-shortcode/ expects to find them. It looks like you have some sort of URL forwarding turned on so that when visiting a group, the first tab opened is the forum tab. However, it is should point to /forum/, not /forums/.

For troubleshooting purposes when getting a “page not found” message:

From WP Admin > Forums, choose a public forum and click on View. Does the forum display correctly when accessed via the URL from the WordPress admin area?

From WP Admin > Topics, choose a public topic and click on View. Does the topic display correctly?

Do the same for Private and Hidden.

Are you running any plugins that change URL structures? Have you used any user/role management plugins, such as Members or s2Member?

Jamiethecomic
    Participant

@jamiethecomic

Hi there! I also have the same issues. But it is affecting my pages also.

http://www.caiminds.com

Jennifer,

Yes we’re using S2Member but nothing changed with that. The upgrade seems to have triggered it so perhaps it’s an incompatibility between s2member and 2.2.

After I downgraded to 2.1.3 I’m getting “You do not have permission to create new topics.” for any user including admin when they try to create a new topic. Looks like the 2.2 upgrade changed the DB schema making downgrade impossible?

So we’re between a rock and a hard place. I’m going to dive into the bbPress code because this is a production website supporting our security plugin. If you have any additional pointers like the s2member suggestion which was very helpful I’d very much appreciate them.

Regards,

Mark.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

There’s a topic in the S2Member forums that explains how to fix this. This is related to having customized roles and capabilities setup that bbPress isn’t looking in the database for any longer.

It probably sounds and feels counter-intuitive now, but the new roles and capabilities in bbPress 2.2 are actually intended to prevent these exact problems in the future. The forums roles and caps in bbPress 2.0 and 2.1 weren’t very cooperative, so everyone rolled their own.

Now that we’ve dialed it in, everything you’ve customized isn’t playing nicely anymore.

Unclear exactly what the *best* solution is for everyone, since every installation is different. Anyone want to volunteer to give me a peek into their installation and let me toy around?

Thanks, I just came back to confirm that it’s S2Members related.

When I create a new user they can view the forum URL’s. But when I change their role to “s2Member level 2” or any s2 level, they instantly get 404’s on all forum pages.

Heading over to s2forums to try and find that post you mentioned.

John I’d be more than happy to set up a linux VPS with wp.org installed with s2members and bbpress configured to reproduce the issue. If that would help you get a fix out sooner, let me know and I’ll get it up within a few minutes. Drop me an email at mark at wordfence dot com.

Mark

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Sounds like the problem is s2Member using set_role() which wipes out all roles a user might have.

Basically, s2member is not compatible with users having multiple roles.

Tried emailing you a few times, got bounced back.

Sorry I entered wordfence dot org as my email address an then edited it a few seconds later to my correct email which is mark at wordfence dot com. You must have loaded the page faster than I could edit. Sorry about that.

I’ve implemented the fix suggested here with the User Role Editor plugin:

http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/dont-upgrade-to-bbpress-2-2/

It works like a charm and we’re up and running again with it on our production site.

kraigg
    Participant

@kraigg

Thanks so much @jmdodd!

I had some redirect code in /wp-content/plugins/bp-custom.php, which redirected user straight to the forum page when they clicked on a group, instead of the group’s homepage which a lot of our users found confusing.

I just had to change the last line from “forums” to “forum” and that seems to have done the trick.

function redirect_group_home() {
    global $bp;
    $path = clean_url( $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] );
    $path = apply_filters( 'bp_uri', $path );
    if (bp_is_group_home() && strpos( $path, $bp->bp_options_nav[$bp->groups->current_group->slug]['home']['slug'] ) === false ) {
    $bp->groups->current_group->status == 'private' || $bp->groups->current_group->status == 'hidden') {
    if ($bp->groups->current_group->status == 'public' || ($bp->groups->current_group->is_user_member && $bp->groups->current_group->status == 'private') || ($bp->groups->current_group->is_user_member && $bp->groups->current_group->status == 'hidden')) {
    // bp_core_redirect( $path . 'forums/' );
    bp_core_redirect( $path . 'forum/' );
    }
    }
    }

@johnjamesjacoby
    feel free to toy around with website and test the installation. The link is in my previous post. I’m not using S2members though, but User Role Editor. I still need to do some more thorough testing before I move all this onto my production website.

dallasclounch
    Participant

@dallasclounch

I use iMember360 Membership plugin and experiencing same issues with our users not being able to click on topics (page not found). I will try out the plugin thanks @mmaunder.

Will there be a core solution for this with bbpress?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Will there be a core solution for this with bbpress?

If its a bbPress bug, then yes. It’s likely an issue with bbPress using multiple user roles, and it being a foreign concept to most other plugins.

Haboukra
    Participant

@haboukra

I had the same problem mentioned above. I installed User Role Editor (I use s2member), and I checked everything exactly like they suggested in the s2member-forum, and the result is that Users can see the forum, and they can publish topics and replies, but they can’t see the topics/replies written by others.
    It also doesn’t matter whether I manually set the role to ‘participant’ or even ‘keymaster’, the only one who can see everything is the admin.

Does anybody else have this issue?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Try bbPress 2.2.1; let me know if it fixes this.

Haboukra
    Participant

@haboukra

No, unfortunately it doesn’t. I wonder whether I messed sth up, because I tried to downgrade the plugin once. Although I have tried deinstalling and reinstalling and it didn’t change anything.

Haboukra
    Participant

@haboukra

Ok, I tried again and the user can see the reply, but not the lead topic. Hope that helps. Thank you for your work!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar